Potd - Project Of The Day- What Did You Do In Your Shop Today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hman

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Made some simple hangers for my air tools in an attempt to tidy up a bit.
I had some aluminum oval tube left over (was used as coat hanger rails inside of wardrobes) which fitted the bill.
That's absolutely fantastic! Simple, elegant, effective. I plan to copy your technique in the near future. Many thanks for posting.

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Finally made time to finish a tool holder from the 12 inch blank I cut on the shaper. Picked up this Williams threading tool a while back but didn't have a holder wide enough for it. Tried cutting the shank down but its harder than a mother in laws heart. A carbide insert end mil made sparks.
KIMG0435.jpg

Just sprayed a coat of etching primer on this railing, hope to get a top coat on it tomorrow and get some shop space back.
KIMG0436.jpg

Greg

richl

Active User
Registered
Ok, the tooling up continues.
I hated the previous 7/8"x20 arbor for the 2" boring head I made previously, so I gave it another shot. Crs, 1018
20171025_140922.jpg
Next up, I've been purchasing double and single bevel milling cutters thru ebay recently, so I tried to extend my meager skillet, I build a simple little arbor that works nicely with fatter cutters than the standard thin slots and splitters.
20171025_135758.jpg 20171025_135640.jpg
Now, I'm off to give all my new toys some quality playtime...

francist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Found this great finish inside a piece of aluminum I was working on ;)

The part itself is nothing dramatic, just a clamping mount for a chip shield I'm playing with, but when I stuck in the little round-nose tool to relieve the centre section the surface finish was just too good to pass up. Some days you just get lucky!

Thanks for looking.

-frank

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Having gotten my grinder under control, with adjustable tool rests, I decided that the dresser method of cleaning the wheels was not accurate enough. I had to have a diamond dresser. I scrounged through several drawers before I found on old one that had attached itself to me when I retired, cobbled together a holder for it. and dressed my rough grinding wheel.

I could be better, it wants to wobble a bit, but through persistence, I got a good dressing on the wheel.

Diamond dresser sm.jpg

Onward to bigger and better projects!

brino

Confirmed Tool User
I had ordered some cheap velcro backed sanding discs on ebay.
They came with arbours with a 3mm shank:
orig.jpg

But I want to use them with air tools and my foredom and a 1/4" shank is better.

So I found some steel rod in the bin and made a couple replacement arbours:
replacement1.jpg replacement2.jpg

Ready to go:
installed.jpg

A quick evening project....and one more thing off my list.

-brino

Bamban

Active User
I finally got motivated to set the SBL13 in its semi permanent location. Since June it has been sitting on skates on the tail and temporary levelers on the left side.

Nothing fancy, just aluminum discs for leveling feet, and 5/8 x 18 bolts. Could not find any 5 inch fully threaded bolts, so I just chased the original thread and threaded the length.

One nice surprise the existing holes for mounting levelers are just the right size for me to run the tap.

20171029_151453.jpg 20171029_172318.jpg

Before dinner I managed to level and cut on my aluminum test bar. It cut fairly straight.

20171029_151011.jpg 20171029_151047.jpg

After dinner I chucked up a SS barrel blank drop and cut a 0.010 turning pass. The stick out is really longer than when I chamber barrel, I just threw it in there just to get me an idea if I were to use this lathe to chamber one of my barrels. Looks like it is good enough for government work.

20171029_190853.jpg
20171029_190916.jpg

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
Needed a small four jaw for the Summit, the 16 inch will only close to a little over an inch, padding the jaws or chucking a small chuck was getting old. Found an 8 inch Chinese one for $114, figured it can't be too bad, can always grind the jaws if they aren't parallel.
Had a D1-8 backplate I believe from a chuck of some sort. A little rusty but Evaporust and some polishing on the the mounting surface and taper cleaned it up nice.
KIMG0439.jpg

There was a centre boss on the front, the outside face was hardened for 50 thou or so, nice glowing swarf till you broke through.
KIMG0440.jpg
Finished facing it and managed a small boss to locate the chuck of its inside bore. The back is otherwise flat.
KIMG0441.jpg
Once I get them bolted together I'll hold the chuck body in the big four jaw and cut the OD down some. Can't quite get to the dia of the chuck, the pins are about 7 3/4 on the outside, 8 inch wouldn't leave much meat. Couldn't turn the OD when I had it mounted, the spindle flange is about the dia of those outside bolt holes.

Greg

Dan_S

Active User
Registered
I made a prototype mill handle, because I'm tired of hearing the old ones squeak when you use them, and rattle when you don't.

The body is alluminum that's fitted with two custom mds filled nylon bushings. It rides on a shoulder bolt that mounts in the original hole.

IMG_20171029_224623.jpg

IMG_20171029_224640.jpg

IMG_20171029_224655.jpg

IMG_20171029_224848.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn Brooks

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Finishing up my RR trestle - for 12" ga steam locomotive and backyard railway.

Finally got the four stringers installed atop the bents. Iam particularily happy that the 64 cross braces (3/16" x 1" x16") I made up to hold the 4"x6" sringers to the bents are working well. The braces add very significant strength to the structure - in fact impart exceptional rigidity to the overall trestle.

Here are the brackets with a coat of metal primer - good old rust red undercoat!

IMG_3645.JPG

And the stringers installed on the bents- all held together nicely with the brackets.

IMG_3652.JPG IMG_3656.JPG IMG_3653.JPG IMG_3660.JPG
End of Track!
IMG_3654.JPG

Last edited:

dave_r_1

Registered
Registered
Spent my spare time over the last month learning to to do auto spray painting. The fender and door on my truck had some chips in the paint. I bought a take-off fender & door to put on, but it turned out the 'silver' color GM used changed between 2000 and 2004. So I stripped both to bare metal, sprayed primer, block sanded, sprayed sealer, then 2 coats of base, then 3 coats of clear. Just lots of "do" then evaluating the result as being "that looks like crap" and going back and removing what I just did and redoing it.

The result
IMG_0979.jpg
IMG_0980.jpg

There's a few spots of orange peel (where the clear has the appearance of an orange peel when you look at a reflection in it), but overall it turned out really well. Probably could have got it done cheaper at a auto body shop (vs buying several hvlp paint guns, regulators, air filter/dryer, sanding blocks, lots of sandpaper, primer, sealer, base, clear, and various cleaning supplies).

I still have to paint the bottom portion below that body line with rockerguard to match the rest of the truck, then I'll install them and see how close a color match they are to the rest of the truck.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, this did include some metalworking, in that I worked over the fender with a large angle grinder once to strip it, covering my shop with a fine, toxic powder, before I figured out it's much easier&faster&less damaging to the parts to use paint stripper to get it down to bare metal.

Last edited:

kvt

Active User
Looks good, Now you will have to paint the rest o the truck to match,

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today

Finally got the four stringers installed atop the bents. Iam particularily happy that the 64 cross braces (3/16" x 1" x16") I made up to hold the 4"x6" sringers to the bents are working well. The braces add very significant strength to the structure - in fact impart exceptional rigidity to the overall trestle.

Here are the brackets with a coat of metal primer - good old rust red undercoat!

And the stringers installed on the bents- all held together nicely with the brackets..................End of Track!..............
I swear, that's a real full size railroad you're building there! At first glance. Nice!!! Can I come play when it's finished?

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
"nother engineering question. Does the superelelevation depend on the radius, or the speed of the train going around the curve?

F

f350ca

Forum Guest
Register Today
An update on the Chinese chuck. Was pleasantly surprised, dialled in a piece of 1 3/4 shaft, just a tad over 1/2 thou runout 6 inches from the chuck. Had planed on grinding the jaws but doubt (Know) i'd never get it any better. Will see how it wears but for now its a winner. Still need to cut that back plate down to size.

Greg

Glenn Brooks

Hey all, sure come on over! The extra gang has plenty of slots open. We are planning on holding a golden spike ceremony, when ever I finally get done laying track. open to all!

Still have one more bridge to lay in, ( short- only 10' connecting to the trestle), track ballast to lay, and about 30' of excavation through a ridge on the Northern Section.

Tom, the superelevation is mostly governed by the track speed at the point of curvature. As in road building, race tracks, etc, the higher the speed, the greater the banking should be in the curves. I've gone with 1/2" superelevation on the outside rail. This results in a rather surprising 2" overall slope for a 48" wide deck on the trestle. A little hard to walk across. but the superelevation should provide an extra margin of safety in case of excess speed.

Glenn

Last edited:

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter
Thanks, Glen.

Superelevation on your scale sounds like guesswork. I suspect full scale has formulas. I remember playing with it in HO, a couple of sheets of paper under the outside rail.

Glenn Brooks

Tom, your post triggered something I had forgotten. Actually, the superelevation I selected was based on the RADIUS OF THE CURVE, not as I previously reported, the anticipated speed of the train. Major difference. Somewhere, and I can't remember where- and didn't bookmark for reference - I found a table of superelevations, based on the chord of mainline track. E.G. Track curvature. 1/2" superelevation was the recommended elevation for the curvature of track Iam using on the trestle.

Not sure why I didn't sort this out in my earlier post. Old age I guess!

Glenn

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
I haven't posted in a while progress on my 14" Rockwell lathe. The headstock is all back together ready to run. I'm rebuilding the apron now and just about have it back together, too. Had to make a replacement gear to replace one that is in bad shape. Here's a picture of the new handwheel shaft with the stock Martin gear I bought next to it along with a new bronze bushing. The old shaft with integral gear is next to the new one.
Ken

20171101_195736.jpg

20171101_195755.jpg

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member

View attachment 245628

And the stringers installed on the bents- all held together nicely with the brackets.

View attachment 245622 View attachment 245623 View attachment 245626 View attachment 245627
End of Track!
View attachment 245636
That is some toy train, absolutely amazing. What will be the length of track when finished. Next time I get to the states I must come and see this.

richl

Active User
Registered
Hey all, sure come on over! The extra gang has plenty of slots open. We are planning on holding a golden spike ceremony, when ever I finally get done laying track. open to all!

Still have one more bridge to lay in, ( short- only 10' connecting to the trestle), track ballast to lay, and about 30' of excavation through a ridge on the Northern Section.

Glenn
Glenn, you have no idea how tempting that is
:grin:
If you were 1000-2000 miles closer you would have to call the police to get me off your property lol:angel:
Do you build through the winter?

Glenn Brooks

Rich, well, I do work through the winter, but shop isn't heated and we get a lot of rain here in the PNW, so it's kind of sporadic as far as track work goes. I had hoped to be done by fall, then start in on rebuilding my old 1904 steam engine this winter. But the trestle has soaked up three months now, so Iam a bit behind in my schedule. Plus it just snowed today in Seattle, with 3" expected by the morning - for the first time in early November in maybe 800,000 years - woops, not true, I forgot the Pleistocene - the last ice age, that glaciated Seattle 15,000 years ago, or so - it must have snowed then. So no telling what conditions will be over the next few months.

Bobshoppy Track length is fairly short - Iam planning on the main line being a loop around the backyard of about 500', plus maybe couple of hundred feet for a siding and the rail car yards next to the shop.

I've been looking for a one mile right of way, in some regional park, or the national forest, but so far to no avail. There are a couple of nonprofit veterans groups locally that do land conversation and some therapy farming for War Veterans. They may be interested in helping create a non profit miniature RR, to teach machining and outdoor conservation and agriculture skills, but finding a proper ROW is a challenge.

Glenn

Last edited:

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
Rich, well, I do work through the winter, but shop isn't heated and we get a lot of rain here in the PNW, so it's kind of sporadic as far as track work goes. I had hoped to be done by fall, then start in on rebuilding my old 1904 steam engine this winter. But the trestle has soaked up three months now, so Iam a bit behind in my schedule. Plus it just snowed today in Seattle, with 3" expected by the morning - for the first time in early November in maybe 800,000 years - woops, not true, I forgot the Pleistocene - the last ice age, that glaciated Seattle 15,000 years ago, or so - it must have snowed then. So no telling what conditions will be over the next few months.

Bobshoppy Track length is fairly short - Iam planning on the main line being a loop around the backyard of about 500', plus maybe couple of hundred feet for a siding and the rail car yards next to the shop.

I've been looking for a one mile right of way, in some regional park, or the national forest, but so far to no avail. There are a couple of nonprofit veterans groups locally that do land conversation and some therapy farming for War Veterans. They may be interested in helping create a non profit miniature RR, to teach machining and outdoor conservation and agriculture skills, but finding a proper ROW is a challenge.

Glenn
Wow thats some backyard track, although short, especially as I understand it's 12" gauge. Also a lot of work building that trestle. Do you use specially made rail section or make your own" That would be quite a hefty loco. I must make an effort to see this next time I'm stateside.

Glenn Brooks

Bobshobby, yep, fairly short track. unfortunately, that's all I have room for around the back of our lot. Iam using old 12# rail - used to be fairly common around the Western US in mining and logging railroads - also on sugarcane plantations in Hawaii when sugar was king. Please feel free to stop by whenever you are close by. I'd be happy to give you a tour.

Glenn

MozamPete

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
South Africa is in the process of changing its ‘standard’ plug design. Going from what was a rather chunky, only used in South Africa (as far I can tell) plug to an IEC plug standard that no one else in the world has adopted. But it is a well thought out standard and I can see it has some technical and safety advantages.
So I installed a new socket and rewired the plugs on my mill and lathe.
F34790BB-24FF-4C90-A07B-02DC79C785BB.jpeg

Still not 100% sure how this new, much smaller plug/socket, can be rated the same 16A as the old plug.

BADF720F-069A-4E2E-B950-B193760619C6.jpeg
Coming from New Zealand where a larger standard plug was only rated at 10A it doesn’t make sense to my mind, but the smaller size is much more convenient (4 sockets in the space of two of the older socket) so will give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock