• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You

• As some of you know, I have wanted to stop managing H-M for some time. It's a tremendous strain on my personal life. I want to set up my own shop. In September, September 15, to be exact, it will be 8 years that Hobby-Machinist has been in existence.

I have been training VTCNC to run things here. Dabbler is going to learn too. I feel that they are ready to start taking over the operation. I will be here to help in case they need, but I don't think they will. Tony Wells is and will be here also to consult with. I will be doing backups, upgrades, and installing addons. Other than that, I will not be around. I am leaving this place in good operating condition, and financial condition.
    --Nelson
[4]

Potd - Project Of The Day- What Did You Do In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyShooter

Registered
Registered
It's been a woodworking weekend for me.

I cannot touch the metal-work on this one.
28950889_10154963187057242_729866120493314018_n.jpg
28951782_10154964128022242_1965518937624427953_n.jpg

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
My neighbor gave me his dads grinder about 6 months ago. Cheap Chineese , low quality It almost vibrated off the bench even with a 2x10 x3ft attached to it. That's how I got it from him. So after figuring out the shaft was out 18thou, tried to straighten it. I failed. Tried again and failed. well the third times the charm, finally got the shaft to under 1 thou out.Then I balanced the wheels... they required a lot of dimples drilled in the wheel. Finally got that. For the wobble I used paper shims with some steel washers I had, not the pressed type, but the machined type... I only had one set. Gonna make an aluminum set for the other side, the shims don't work for the pressed type.
But now that I am almost done, it's so smooth that putting a glass down on a table (not a bench) and running it w/o bolting it down, I get no ripples in the water. Smooth... gotta balance my big grinder next.. I am so impressed how much it changed it.

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Had a great weekend getting plenty of tractor time outside and cleaning out some tools once again . It seems to be a never ending process . I did sell three CA-2 Aloris holders though , not that it picks me up any additional room in the garage , but it's a move forward .

Sailplane Driver

Registered
Registered
Well, this ain't much, but it was all I did in my shop that's complete enough to show around.

I declared my Little Machine Shop engine done, made an oak base for it, and mounted it. So this is kind of a "graduation picture" for the engine. It has graduated from being a shop project and toy to something that sits on the shelf. Then we'll use it to annoy visitors with "wanna see my little engine running?"

View attachment 260657
I built one of those a while back. If you adjust it right, you can run it on canned air, the stuff you use to blow off a keyboard, by stuffing the straw of the canned air into the plastic hose.

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Just balanced my 8" grinder too. Wish I had known you could drill the wheels to balance them earlier. I though you had to have hubs for balancing. Not that much work, just rinse and repeat until you are happy that it is not stopping at the same spot.

Franko

Active User
Registered
Got the A1000 CarryMaster casters mounted on the frame of my mobile mill base. Think it'll be plenty sturdy! View attachment 261203
I've got those wheels on my mill stand. I just used two with two stationary casters on the back. I found them tedious to re-level after moving the mill. I made some 1/2" blocks to put under the pad feet. When I need to move the mill, I use a small floor jack to raise the mill enough to remove the pads, then lower to the wheels, without having to change the leveling. Once it is in the new place, I replace the pads.

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
Just balanced my 8" grinder too. Wish I had known you could drill the wheels to balance them earlier. I though you had to have hubs for balancing. Not that much work, just rinse and repeat until you are happy that it is not stopping at the same spot.
Drill the grinding wheel itself? I would have thought that it would weaken the wheel and could lead to failure. Any picts of how you did yours?

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
My neighbor gave me his dads grinder about 6 months ago. Cheap Chineese , low quality It almost vibrated off the bench even with a 2x10 x3ft attached to it. That's how I got it from him. So after figuring out the shaft was out 18thou, tried to straighten it. I failed. Tried again and failed. well the third times the charm, finally got the shaft to under 1 thou out.Then I balanced the wheels... they required a lot of dimples drilled in the wheel. Finally got that. For the wobble I used paper shims with some steel washers I had, not the pressed type, but the machined type... I only had one set. Gonna make an aluminum set for the other side, the shims don't work for the pressed type.
But now that I am almost done, it's so smooth that putting a glass down on a table (not a bench) and running it w/o bolting it down, I get no ripples in the water. Smooth... gotta balance my big grinder next.. I am so impressed how much it changed it.
Drill the grinding wheel itself? I would have thought that it would weaken the wheel and could lead to failure. Any picts of how you did yours?
See this video :
around the 30 minute mark he is drilling the wheel. You don't go all the way through, you just dimple it with a masonry bit. Make sure it's sharp so you are not putting to much pressure on it. Worked great. And of course ring it when you are done. I'll get pics tonight.. But I'm not taking the wheels off again. I used my surface plate, 123 blocks, and some L's I had to raise the hub. I also used a hand drill and a piece of cardboard to support the wheel. mine were not for a surface grinder so I did not have a hub mounted.

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Made a smaller extension bar for cutting internal keyways with the shaper.
Had the holder and larger bar but need to cut a keyway in a 1 inch bore so made a 3/4 bar/
IMG_3983.jpg
IMG_3984.jpg

Greg

Pontiac Freak

Active User
Registered
See this video :
around the 30 minute mark he is drilling the wheel. You don't go all the way through, you just dimple it with a masonry bit. Make sure it's sharp so you are not putting to much pressure on it. Worked great. And of course ring it when you are done. I'll get pics tonight.. But I'm not taking the wheels off again. I used my surface plate, 123 blocks, and some L's I had to raise the hub. I also used a hand drill and a piece of cardboard to support the wheel. mine were not for a surface grinder so I did not have a hub mounted.
Very informative, not what I had in mind at all. Thanks for learning me!

f350ca

Active User
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
It worked.
Dialing in the part.
IMG_3985.jpg
The hub mystery metal with some hard spots in it. Could only take about a thou cut at a time.

IMG_3986.jpg

I usually hold the part in a big V block I built. Tried the vice this time, was a bugger to get measurements. Will be back to the V block on future ones.

IMG_3987.jpg

Greg

Uncle Buck

Swarf
Former Member

You are correct, drilling the side of a grinding wheel could weaken or damage the wheel and yes drilling the side of a wheel would increase the probability of failure of the wheel. Doing this in the workplace would also expose the employer to citations from OSHA. OSHA would reference the ANSI standard for grinding wheels to write their citation.

This is just a really really bad idea. This is not a safe thing to do with a grinding wheel either. Clearly there is something wrong with this idea. You can no longer view this video, it has been removed!

Last edited:

brino

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I doubt this comment will be allowed to remain either but time will tell.
Buck, I have nothing to do with the management of this site, but here's my thoughts.

I agree with the decision to remove your earlier post. Here's why:
That post came off like a personal attack on one member. I don't remember the exact language used, but when I saw it I thought your comments were unfair. They did NOT contain facts, but just an opinion that was given in a demeaning way. Contrary to your phrasing "criticism of the practice" it was a blatant put-down of an individual member of this site.

It is up to the wisdom of the user/reader to do their own "due diligence" on any matter of machining safety and come to their own conclusions as to risk. I sharpen drill bits on the side of a grinding wheel (gasp!), with a store-bought jig that was designed for and documented to be used that way. Some people here cringe and dispute the safety of the method, and that is their right. But they do so in a cordial way, and I appreciate their comments.

However, your new post (#11026 in this thread) is better.....
You make no personal attacks.
You do mention OSHA and ANSI specifications and standards as places to do some research.
You use more appropriate language like "increase the probability of failure of the wheel".
Although it could be argued that you still present a demeaning attitude towards the site and its management.

-brino

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
well all the comments have been lost, looks like we rolled the db that we are stored on to the previous day. I imagine there was a problem (saw the system down) and the last backup was the previous day. I'm curious what db is behind the app.

woodchucker

Titanium
Former Member
Thank you Brino, I took it as a personal attack, but took the high road. I really don't care about opinions. There are safe, unsafe, and things that have been told are unsafe, but w/o actual backing. In this case, I determined that as long as it rings, it's good. The wheel did not crack, because I didn't put weight into the drilling. Stan in the video does a lot of surface grinding, A LOT. I had no stress riser, since the dimples were round and no sharp edges. I felt that it was worth going forward.
There are times you have to dispense with conventional wisdom to try to move things forward.

dlane

Active User
db ?.

Uncle Buck

Swarf
Former Member
Buck, I have nothing to do with the management of this site, but here's my thoughts.

I agree with the decision to remove your earlier post. Here's why:
That post came off like a personal attack on one member. I don't remember the exact language used, but when I saw it I thought your comments were unfair. They did NOT contain facts, but just an opinion that was given in a demeaning way. Contrary to your phrasing "criticism of the practice" it was a blatant put-down of an individual member of this site.

It is up to the wisdom of the user/reader to do their own "due diligence" on any matter of machining safety and come to their own conclusions as to risk. I sharpen drill bits on the side of a grinding wheel (gasp!), with a store-bought jig that was designed for and documented to be used that way. Some people here cringe and dispute the safety of the method, and that is their right. But they do so in a cordial way, and I appreciate their comments.

However, your new post (#11026 in this thread) is better.....
You make no personal attacks.
You do mention OSHA and ANSI specifications and standards as places to do some research.
You use more appropriate language like "increase the probability of failure of the wheel".
Although it could be argued that you still present a demeaning attitude towards the site and its management.

-brino
I do safety for a living. I am twice degreed in Industrial Safety with years of experience in safe work practices and safety in the workplace. Sometimes ideas are presented that are outrageously unsafe, and this was one such time in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:

brino

Active User
I think the anonymity of the web can sometimes cause problems.
Also the differences in terminology, limited time, language and culture barriers, sensitivities, etc.
These all add up people respond in ways that can seem unintentionally harsh.

To me that's what makes this site different.
People can come here and know they won't be treated poorly....intentionally or unintentionally.

I _try_ to never respond if I don't have time to review it before I post it.
I _try_ to be sure my words cannot be misinterpreted/misconstrued.
I don't always reach my goals.

I see that you are passionate about safety.
I hope you do keep posting.

-brino

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Just a friendly reminder from our forum rules:

DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.

DO NOT HOLD GRUDGES:
8. You agree not to hold grudges or bring them here. If you can't, or you don't plan to participate because you have a grudge against someone, and feel that you cannot get past it, please go elsewhere. If you have a problem with a member of our staff, do not register.

DO NOT CRITICIZE OR DEFAME THIS FORUM OR OTHER FORUMS:
9. You agree not to criticize or make any negative comments about this forum on this forum or on other forums. The staff are all volunteers. They do their best. If we see disparaging posts made by you, about us or our forum, here or elsewhere, your membership will be revoked. If you feel our rules are "touchy" or "overbearing," try another forum. Posting that you are "just putting up with us for the information" is not polite. Be polite or go elsewhere. These rules have made this forum what it is today, a popular place where people can interact without being made to feel bad about themselves. Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

Along with this:

"There are various ways of expressing things. We like to correct with kindness rather than by kicking someone in the butt. We understand that both are meant to be helpful, but one way doesn't leave its intended target feeling that he is disrespected and/or picked on"

Thank you.

Uncle Buck

Swarf
Former Member
Just a friendly reminder from our forum rules:

DO NOT BULLY OR DISPARAGE OTHERS:
6. You agree that you will treat everyone with respect. You agree not to bully others with your opinions or disparage their opinions. Public tantrums, threats to leave, etc. will not be tolerated. This forum is about machining, let's keep it there! Cyberbullying will NEVER be tolerated on this site. If you are a regular on forums that permit or encourage this, you are unlikely to fit in here.

DO NOT HOLD GRUDGES:
8. You agree not to hold grudges or bring them here. If you can't, or you don't plan to participate because you have a grudge against someone, and feel that you cannot get past it, please go elsewhere. If you have a problem with a member of our staff, do not register.

DO NOT CRITICIZE OR DEFAME THIS FORUM OR OTHER FORUMS:
9. You agree not to criticize or make any negative comments about this forum on this forum or on other forums. The staff are all volunteers. They do their best. If we see disparaging posts made by you, about us or our forum, here or elsewhere, your membership will be revoked. If you feel our rules are "touchy" or "overbearing," try another forum. Posting that you are "just putting up with us for the information" is not polite. Be polite or go elsewhere. These rules have made this forum what it is today, a popular place where people can interact without being made to feel bad about themselves. Please do not disparage or make any negative comments about other machinist forums on this forum. That is not part of this forum's activities.

Along with this:

"There are various ways of expressing things. We like to correct with kindness rather than by kicking someone in the butt. We understand that both are meant to be helpful, but one way doesn't leave its intended target feeling that he is disrespected and/or picked on"

Thank you.

I think it might be a good time to put a spit shine on your number 10 brogans and plant it in my backside as you show me the door! LOL

I was intending to remain as a non posting member, but in light of that rule I guess that is not an option for me so we should probably save ourselves the trouble of you guys having to prompt me when I need to post and just punch my ticket right now.

I will contact people I know on this forum and on the internet and encourage them to leave the forum or become non-posting members given the Neanderthal membership that runs this site, beginning with Nelson, of course.

It's no wonder no one with any degree of skill or craftsmanship ever comes to this forum.

UB out

EDITORS NOTE:

The very next day after Uncle Buck posted this message telling us to "boot" him, he registered another machinist forum:

Domain Name: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2239317046_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.porkbun.com
Registrar URL: http://www.porkbun.com
Updated Date: 2018-03-15 15:29:04
Created Date: 2018-03-15 15:29:03

His behavior, and that of others that joined him, was entirely planned.

U N C L E B U C K' S profile on GarageJournal.com:

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/member.php?u=1824

The Garage Journal Board > Members List
Uncle B u c k 's Profile
Welcome, Nelson58.

You last visited: 04-29-2018 at 05:29 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 2.

U n c l e B u c k

Banned

T Bredehoft

Active User
Thanks for the reminder, Jim.

Nelson

Site Founder
Staff member
I think it might be a good time to put a spit shine on your number 10 brogans and plant it in my backside as you show me the door! LOL

I was intending to remain as a non posting member, but in light of that rule I guess that is not an option for me so we should probably save ourselves the trouble of you guys having to prompt me when I need to post and just punch my ticket right now.

I will contact people I know on this forum and on the internet and encourage them to leave the forum or become non-posting members given the Neanderthal membership that runs this site, beginning with Nelson, of course.

It's no wonder no one with any degree of skill or craftsmanship ever comes to this forum.

UB out
Rather than delete Uncle Buck's post, I left it in order to reflect what happened here.

This is the SECOND time Uncle Buck was a member of this forum.
The FIRST time, he made some comments that violated our policies.
Then he began contacting people and encouraging them not to participate.
Some time ago, he asked to return, promising us that he would behave better. He was allowed to return.
But, as you can see, he hasn't.

He was given two chances.
I meant what I said when I said that people who had differences with us in the past would be welcome again.
Life is way too short to hold grudges.
I'm not going to carry that baggage with me. It's too heavy.

Uncle Buck has not been banned. His account has not been removed or closed.
I am going to close this thread, in order to let things calm down, and ask the participants to open a new thread on this topic.

Thank you for your patience.

Nelson

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
[6]
[5] [7]