2013 POTD Thread Archive

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
This is a new thread that I am starting. As the good weather of Spring and Summer rolls around, many of us will go back to the shop to do something. We want to know what you did in your shop today. No limits, just tell us what you did.

Today in my shop, I am installing some shelves using 8x10 brackets I got from Home Depot and some 2x4 sheets of 3/4" MDF I also bought there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a GS550L that had a rear sprocket so worn it would barely pull itself so I went to tractor Supply and bought a sprocket 3" smaller than the one I had (all they had) drilled the bolt hole pattern, opened the center dia. the same as the old one and was back on the road this morning. The smaller sprocket suits this bike well as it is a 6 speed and it was geared too low. Love having my machines

I have a Poppin fire eater engine I built last year that came out less than spectacular, and didn't run. On the warmer days the last couple of months I have been rebuilding it. Today I finished the alcohol burner for it by turning, threading, and knurling a cap and soldering on the filler. It's (the burner) in the pickle now. Tomorrow, I will try to get the engine running.

Chuck

Not much... Made that little mag-base holder for the cheapo HF swivel vise -which took all of 20-30 minutes. A piece of schedule 40 pipe welded to a scrap of plate. Then, I used it to hold that HHS bit and grind a perfect 60 degree threading tip.

Shop-related, I spent 2+ hours on CAD and another 2 hours searching the world over for some internal threading bars. And speaking of that, does anyone have thought/opinions on what insert style they like for internal threading? I was thinking about the IR-type (3 points) but noticed the inserts are thread-pitch specific. Are any of them thread-pitch agnostic?

Ray
vise base.jpg

vise base.jpg

I was enslaved in the shop and kitchen today installing crown moulding on my kitchen cabinets. I've attached a picture of some of it - unstained and unfinished, but it is coming along. I have a new to me Black Diamond drill grinder and a lapping machine I'm itching to get at. Honestly I need to put the final touches on my cabinets before the weather turns too nice - but it is so easy to be distracted by new toys.
Michael

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

I started on a set of table covers and way covers for my mill while it's still clean. Inspired by Randy M, after seeing his mill my to do list has got much larger.

It's been a couple good days...getting the mill/drill has made me clean up and reorganize,can walk through without having to carefully place my feet,finished the tablesaw base.The good weather makes it easier as stuff can be move outside so have space to work.Of course I should be studying for school but as long as I'm being productive...

Eric

Bathroom facelift - new countertop, new sink and plumbing to match. Backsplash tiles will follow shortly...

Customer had a Browning A-5 with a loose stock. The receiver threads for the tang screw were stripped and the action spring tube was broken from the tang. Drilled out the remainder of the action spring tube, replaced it with a new one and silver soldered it in place. Then set the action up in the mill at 36.5 degrees (the angle of the tang screw entry) and drilled out the stripped hole, turned a filler from 1144, soldered it in place, drilled ,tapped 1/4-40. Put the stock back on and the tang screw went in like it was made for it.:)
Spent the rest of the day with family.
Bobby

Back