2013 POTD Thread Archive

I love the fast motion video, it gets it done quicker...for my short attention span. If only I could make parts that quick, I'd be a rich man.:allgood:

I finished mounting AccuRemote scales to my G0704 mill...
16B9EBF6-F8E5-4302-A9A9-FF9241661745-1352-00000484C4B0205D_zps131c63a9.jpg

I went with the stainless steel version instead of the aluminum ones - hoping they're more accurate over the long term.
Still need to mount something to the quill that I'll be able to read with Yuriy's Android DRO solution. The mill came with a quill DRO but it's self-contained and doesn't appear to have any way I can tap into it.
I mounted everything using Cellular PVC (wood trim replacement) to keep the scales electrically isolated, trying to avoid any ground-loops when I wire everything together to the scale reading interface.

16B9EBF6-F8E5-4302-A9A9-FF9241661745-1352-00000484C4B0205D_zps131c63a9.jpg

Big progress day!

I got my VFD wired and can now run the mill I picked up. Tried a few different cutters & started getting used to the particulars of the machine. Realized how time consuming making nice quality parts can be using an older machine. My new favorite toy. Made up this little steel test cube by eye. Next time I'll indicate and pay more attention to exact angles.

diceblock_zps8bf555c3.jpg

diceblock_zps8bf555c3.jpg

I made a new drawbar for the mill I just got.

Nice job and vid... I was going to ask you if your Atlas was a 10" or 12" seeing that nice 3 jaw mounted on it. At the end of the vid you said 10... but, if you don't mind, about that chuck... whatcha got there? :)

One thing to consider... power your leadscrew with a small variable speed motor, one of the best things I've done and use that feature constantly to bump up or down the feed rate. Not to mention wear and tear on the gears...

Oh that old chuck? I picked that up for $50, cost me $20 in gas. It's a Bison.

I am working on a separate lead screw power feed. That will be a big project if I can pull off what I want to do.

Nice job and vid... I was going to ask you if your Atlas was a 10" or 12" seeing that nice 3 jaw mounted on it. At the end of the vid you said 10... but, if you don't mind, about that chuck... whatcha got there? :)

One thing to consider... power your leadscrew with a small variable speed motor, one of the best things I've done and use that feature constantly to bump up or down the feed rate. Not to mention wear and tear on the gears...

Oh that old chuck? I picked that up for $50, cost me $20 in gas. It's a Bison.

I am working on a separate lead screw power feed. That will be a big project if I can pull off what I want to do.

Bison for $70... ya, guess you did ok... :) sweet. What size? I'm kinda looking at a Gator 6" EA Series, didn't know if an 8" would be too big...

FWIW, a few pics of what I did, might give you an idea?...:

xfx389.jpg

i27v2p.jpg

belt loose:
kcywaq.jpg

slide the motor down/back (just gravity, no springs hold the belt in tension) to tighten:
2irkso1.jpg

xfx389.jpg

i27v2p.jpg

kcywaq.jpg

2irkso1.jpg

Mine is 6", I don't think you would want to goto 8" unless the price was right. Great job on the feed control system. What motor are you using?

Bison for $70... ya, guess you did ok... :) sweet. What size? I'm kinda looking at a Gator 6" EA Series, didn't know if an 8" would be too big...

Mine is 6", I don't think you would want to goto 8" unless the price was right. Great job on the feed control system. What motor are you using?

6" huh... think that's what I'm looking for then, thanks. Thanks, from the specs that I kept on it (got it from Surplus Supply I think):

24 VDC VARIABLE SPEED GEARMOTOR WITH CONTROL
New, Dunkermotoren precision built brushless DC gearmotor with mounted speed control. Planetary gear reduction. Ball bearings. Full range PWM speed control requires 0-10 VDC signal. Instant reversing.
Part numbers: Motor BG40x50,Gear Reducer PLG52, Speed Control BGE40.

SPECIFICATIONS Speed 130 RPM max
Voltage 24 DC
Amperage 2.1
Torque 70 in - lbs.
Gear Ratio 28:1
Rotation Reversible
Duty Continuous
Mount Face mt 40mm bolt circle
Shaft 12mm dia. x 25mm no keyway
Size 6-1/2" x 2" x 2-1/2"

Think I saw like 5 of these last week at ebay, this one was on my start page there just now:

DUNKERMOTOREN GR63X25 MOTOR W/ SG80 AND PLG52 GEARBOX USED TAKEOUT MAKE OFFER !!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUNKERMOTOR...GEARBOX-USED-TAKEOUT-MAKE-OFFER-/360777655400

Price:US $39.99 with a "Make Offer" button...

Planetary gear reduction, instant reverse... it just goes and goes and doesn't get tired or warm. :)

[EDIT] ...forgot to mention a youtube vid that got me off the fence and decided to just do it...:

Myford powered lead screw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoFSz2LGgkM

Today, I finally got around to making a mold to make bolt buffers for Ruger 10/22 rifles. Sorry...I didn't take a whole ton of pictures between the facing and the completed product because I'd misplaced my phone. Anyway..here's what I've got.

Facing operation...done with my home made fly cutter which takes a 1/2" HSS tool bit. This thing produces mirror finishes on aluminum. I didn't have to do any other finishing on the work piece.

1022buffermoldmaking1_zpsadb208af.jpg

The finished mold. The cavities are 1/4". The locating dowels (3) were made from 1/4" rod with the end slightly deformed in my vise so they would be tight in the holes...put a little bit of green loctite in there as well. The groove along the top to hold the excess liquid rubber is about a 1/2" deep...cut that with a 9/16" end mill....and then 2 x 1/4-20 bolts, some wing nuts, and washers to hold it closed.

1022buffermoldapart2_zps4aef571d.jpg

1022buffermoldapart1_zps1e927c87.jpg

1022Buffermoldtogether_zps42ae6944.jpg

And finally, the first batch of buffers.

1022buffers_zpsbd3d049e.jpg

Oh...almost forgot...made a muzzle brake (more ornamental than anything) for my buddies SKS rifle. Made it out of alum. since he was painting the whole thing flat black anyway.

Brake_zpsa73d84fd.jpg

1022buffermoldmaking1_zpsadb208af.jpg

1022buffermoldapart2_zps4aef571d.jpg

1022buffermoldapart1_zps1e927c87.jpg

1022Buffermoldtogether_zps42ae6944.jpg

1022buffers_zpsbd3d049e.jpg

Brake_zpsa73d84fd.jpg

Back