2014 POTD Thread Archive

Looks like you're becoming very comfortable with your new lathe rather quickly. Not that your a beginner but like you said, it's takes a little time to become accustomed to any new machine. Good job.

Thanks Dale. Yeah, I am getting very comfortable with it. I commented to my wife after closing up shop last night just how easy it is to hold such tight tolerances and what a joy it is to operate. Feeling better and better each day about the purchase.

Although the lathe was a no brainer for me when I first started looking at updating my machinery, the mill is what I was torn back and forth on. I sure hope it is every bit as nice a piece of equipment as the lathe.

Mike.

Thanks Dale. Yeah, I am getting very comfortable with it. I commented to my wife after closing up shop last night just how easy it is to hold such tight tolerances and what a joy it is to operate. Feeling better and better each day about the purchase.

Although the lathe was a no brainer for me when I first started looking at updating my machinery, the mill is what I was torn back and forth on. I sure hope it is every bit as nice a piece of equipment as the lathe.

Mike.

i want that lathe so bad!!! i started a "savings fund" in my top drawer of the toolbox about a month ago and will hopefully be ready to order in about 6 months. i love seeing what you do with it. keep the posting up, haha

i want that lathe so bad!!! i started a "savings fund" in my top drawer of the toolbox about a month ago and will hopefully be ready to order in about 6 months. i love seeing what you do with it. keep the posting up, haha

Thanks, I appreciate that. Yeah, I love this lathe as well. The more I use it the more I like it. I hope the mill that I ordered from Precision Mathews is just as nice. If that is the case I will be one happy camper. That it is IF I ever get it.:dunno:

That's funny about the savings fund. I called mine my "slush fund". I put 10% from every paying job into an envelope around the first of 2013 when I started looking at upgrading. By the first part of 2014 when I decided to stop looking for used equipment and go with new, I had well over half of the investment saved up. It was a lot easier to convince the wife at that point.

Mike.

Rebuilding a 2 seat go kart for the grandkids. The OEM had used 20 half inch nuts as spacers for the sprocket and brake drum - unacceptable, and not very attractive. So today I turned new spacers in 1" 6061. Also turned engine standoffs from the same material to provide more distance from the centrifugal clutch sprocket to the new 80 tooth axle sprocket. I am converting from the old band brake to hydraulic disk, so I milled the teeth off the old worn out sprocket that was on the kart when I bought it - it is now a brake disk. Tomorrow I will make brackets to mount the hydraulic system.

Tom

Brakedisk2.jpg

Brakedisk2.jpg

Rebuilding a 2 seat go kart for the grandkids. The OEM had used 20 half inch nuts as spacers for the sprocket and brake drum - unacceptable, and not very attractive. So today I turned new spacers in 1" 6061. Also turned engine standoffs from the same material to provide more distance from the centrifugal clutch sprocket to the new 80 tooth axle sprocket. I am converting from the old band brake to hydraulic disk, so I milled the teeth off the old worn out sprocket that was on the kart when I bought it - it is now a brake disk. Tomorrow I will make brackets to mount the hydraulic system.

Tom

View attachment 82262

Neat project for your grandkids. Thanks for keeping us posted.

I had an odd job come into the shop last night. I absolutely hate working on boats, I despise them and don't like them. In case anyone didn't get that, I HATE boats.

That said, I had a very good client call me to fix a hole in his boat. He decided to tackle a restoration and after gutting the boat he noticed a hole in the bottom. My first instinct was to tell him to take it somewhere else but like I said, he is a good client and I work on pretty much everything he owns, from his wife's Escalade to is lawnmower, snowblower, weedeater to his Harley and sandrail.

When he dropped it off I thought what the hell have I gotten myself in to. But that was quickly displaced when I saw that the thing was gutted and that I could simply lift the boat and trailer as a unit on the lift and stand underneath to repair/weld.

Turned out great and all in all was only about an hour job.

Mike.

Here is a picture of it on the lift, thought if I didn't take a picture of it people wouldn't believe me.
2qvf3b5.jpg

I got this push type knurling tool with my quick change tool post set and have never used it as I have a better pinch type knurling tool. I decided to make a regular tool holder from it.

P8180246_zps76424b60.jpg

P8180245_zps242ed4ef.jpg

I cut off the ears that held the knurling wheels with my band saw.

P8180249_zps06f01de9.jpg

P8180250_zps33d71b63.jpg

Then I milled that end flat.

P8180253_zpsad607bfa.jpg

Then I extended the tool slot the full length of the tool in the mill and drilled and tapped 2 more holes for set screws.

P8180251_zps8ae057a4.jpg

P8180256_zpsb188fb07.jpg

I hate to see a tool wasted and I can always use more tool holders.

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna head to the shop and Monkey See, Monkey Do. I just happen to have two of those in the bottom of my tool cabinet.

Thanks for the idear.

I took inspration from Mikes new lathe and the tools holder rack he made and spent the day cleaning my machine and welding up a rack for tool holders from 3/16" by 1.5" flat steel pieces.

P8220272_zpsb0f5a579.jpg

P8220271_zps71b8ee84.jpg

P8220273_zps3cc5ad74.jpg

I almost hate to use the lathe now that it is so clean.:rofl:

I took inspration from Mikes new lathe and the tools holder rack he made and spent the day cleaning my machine and welding up a rack for tool holders from 3/16" by 1.5" flat steel pieces.

P8220272_zpsb0f5a579.jpg

P8220271_zps71b8ee84.jpg

P8220273_zps3cc5ad74.jpg

I almost hate to use the lathe now that it is so clean.:rofl:

Lathe looks awesome Johnny. Great job. I love looking at people's lathes and mills. That doesn't make me weird or anything does it?:nuts:

Nice idea on the knurling toolholder as well. I may have to copy that one as I don't care for that style of knurling tool and I have one kicking around somewhere.

Mike.

Back