2014 POTD Thread Archive

Very cool Greg, I am enjoying watching this, thanks for taking the time to post for us.

Have the timber frame on my shed assembled, now for a roof.

Greg

Greg,
That's a good looking frame! I did a bit of timber framing about 30 years ago. Built a couple large shelter houses for a park, and did all the actual cutting and drilling at a historic themed festival. The lumber was cut at a sawmill to 8x8s, 4x4s etc, but all the other work was done on-site with only hand powered equipment. An older gentleman who built many barns in his younger days taught us a lot about using a square for simple and quick layout. Amazingly enough, when the parts were assembled a few weeks later at a different site, everything fir!
Jack
Fort Loramie, Ohio

Thanks guys. Was a fun project but can't imagine me doing it all by hand Jack. Spent too much time last winter digging through the snow to find stuff, hopefully this will help and finally give the tractor some shelter from the elements. I sawed the 6x6's from red pine that was knocked down in a storm a year ago, a couple of afternoons and I had enough logs home. Some of it was stained in the log, then the pile stained this summer with all the rain we received. A couple of big white pines had to be taken down at the local cemetery, I was offered the logs, they yielded enough 1 x 10 's for the siding, so the building so far has only cost me the ties I put on the ground and the doweling to lock the joints and a bit of diesel fuel for the tractor and sawmill. Unfortunately now I have to buy material to put the roof on,

Greg

I like inserts too. They beat those helicoil thread replacements any day.

I have to drive forty-eight, 4mm-0.7 threaded, slotted inserts into 1/4" holes in 1/2" MDF. I really like the inserts with Allen drives, but they weren't available in this small metric size.To set these reasonably straight you need a large screwdriver and a lot of downward force. I need them slightly below the surface. So the large screwdriver is a pain to push and chews up the edges of the hole. I have a box of miscellaneous, old screwdrivers. I decided to grind the end of one to fit the insert slot and a pilot point to hold it straight. It has a hex shaft, so after I ground it I decided to just cut the shaft off the handle and use it in my super slow, super torquey Makita drill.

Ken

I like to drive these inserts by threading them (using the inside female machine thread) on a cutoff bolt backed up by a couple of nuts. Where possible, I chuck the bolt in the drill press to supply that needed downward force. (Turn the chuck by hand; I'm not talking power-threading here.)

I like to drive these inserts by threading them (using the inside female machine thread) on a cutoff bolt backed up by a couple of nuts. Where possible, I chuck the bolt in the drill press to supply that needed downward force. (Turn the chuck by hand; I'm not talking power-threading here.)

I also use the double-nutted mandrel approach to install the slotted inserts into polypropolyne assemblies. I start with a sized hole & install with a cordless drill after mildly heating them with a propane torch. With careful heating I get clean assembly without swarf.

Made a barrel vise for an upcoming rifle build. Next up on the gunny-do list is an action vise.

DSC_0333.JPG DSC_0334.JPG DSC_0336.JPG

Wasn't today but I modified & made some pieces to make the rear trans mount fit on my buddy's LS400 with 2JZ 6-spd single turbo swap. Mount is urethane & kind of sucks to machine!

20140830_161518.jpg

20140910_141011.jpg

And a fuel pressure regulator mount for the same LS400 2JZ.

20140905_190808.jpg

20140830_161518.jpg

20140910_141011.jpg

20140905_190808.jpg

Back