2015 POTD Thread Archive

Today's the day...

Yesterday the leather belt arrived from Al Bino, all 10' 3" of it for my camelback. Job one this morning is to strap it on and fire up the fully restored old beast.

Pictures to follow

I use a lot of small diameter stock that comes in 3 foot lengths, that being said I had to clamp it at the exit of my spindle to keep it from whipping. First try was a three bolt arrangement that worked but was slow to adjust and I did not like the bolts sticking out and spinning. So I saw an iris device on a Cnccookbook email and modified it to this. It is thicker than it needed but I had 1/2 in pieces in my scrap box. Now I can loosen the one thumb screw, give it a twist and it self centers to any stock.IMG_0526.JPGIMG_0528.JPG

IMG_0526.JPG IMG_0528.JPG

I use a lot of small diameter stock that comes in 3 foot lengths, that being said I had to clamp it at the exit of my spindle to keep it from whipping. First try was a three bolt arrangement that worked but was slow to adjust and I did not like the bolts sticking out and spinning. So I saw an iris device on a Cnccookbook email and modified it to this. It is thicker than it needed but I had 1/2 in pieces in my scrap box. Now I can loosen the one thumb screw, give it a twist and it self centers to any stock

That, Sir, is quite sexy. First one I have seen using that mechanism.

Rebuilt an old air compressor pump I picked up on Craig's List along with a 60 gallon air tank...

Before

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622758.349451.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622782.928228.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622807.765917.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622828.192546.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622758.349451.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622782.928228.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622807.765917.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421622828.192546.jpg

I needed a new chuck key for my four-jaw chuck, so I made one. Next step is heat treating.

Chuck Key.jpg

-Ryan

Chuck Key.jpg

I needed a new chuck key for my four-jaw chuck, so I made one. Next step is heat treating.

-Ryan

I never heat treated the couple that I've made. Are they hardened as they come from manufacturers?

I use a lot of small diameter stock that comes in 3 foot lengths, that being said I had to clamp it at the exit of my spindle to keep it from whipping. First try was a three bolt arrangement that worked but was slow to adjust and I did not like the bolts sticking out and spinning. So I saw an iris device on a Cnccookbook email and modified it to this. It is thicker than it needed but I had 1/2 in pieces in my scrap box. Now I can loosen the one thumb screw, give it a twist and it self centers to any stock.

Yeah, we need way more detail on this. :rubbinghands:

Weekend POTD : V-Block and Clamps

Here's a photo of my weekend project. I couldn't decide if I should cut it in half and
make 2 V Blocks so opted for not cutting it for now. The V part is made from one
inch square stock and the clamp part was 1.5 x 1/2 stock. It will hold shafts from
1/8 inch to a full inch so will be handy for smaller projects.

Also the clamps could double for machinist's jacks in a pinch.

IMG_0517.JPG

Last edited:
Nice work.
Did you just use a square endmill at 45* to cut the vee grooves? And what sort of steel did you use?

Cheers Phil

Back