2015 POTD Thread Archive

I started/continued work on an ER 40 collet holder for my Atlas Clausing lathe. You know, the 1" 10 thread is difficult to find tooling for. I got as far as grinding the ID taper. Still need to thread the OD and make the nut.

Thanks, Mark. Delrin is a very satisfying material to mill. I'm not that fond of acrylics, but often that what is has to be.
I'm very end-product orientated, so I don't have a preference for what materials I use. I just use the one that seems best suited for the purpose.

But, I do love making things on my mill and lathe. Metal and Delrin come off the machine with such beautiful finishes, and there's rarely any finishing required, except painting sometimes. I'm very experienced at painting, but I don't enjoy sanding and painting.

Had go at making some MT 3 drill Chuck holder for lathe realistic.
Not done tapers before so went for it worked out better than I thought it would.
Then used it to drill some holes to make sure it worked and it did.

Do you plan to harden the face?

Once I have all the shaping done I was planning to harden and temper the whole anvil. Just heat it again in the forge and water quench it for a quick cooling, then temper for a couple of hours in the kitchen oven to remove the brittleness. But I'm open to other suggestions/recommendations.

I started/continued work on an ER 40 collet holder for my Atlas Clausing lathe. You know, the 1" 10 thread is difficult to find tooling for. I got as far as grinding the ID taper. Still need to thread the OD and make the nut.

Try finding the 1-1/2" x 8 tpi. I ended up single point threading it. Then had to pick up some gears so I could do the Metric 50x 1.5 threading for the nut.
Here is the one I made. I use it everyday.

upload_2015-4-5_0-34-21.png

Extropic, It is possible you've misinterpreted levity as a lack of concern.

I could detect zero concern in your reply (#3248). When it comes to such serious safety issues, I choose to be quite clear. He who is silent is understood to consent.

Excellent! I first single pointed a stub arbor to check the ID threads, single pointed them, too, of course. I got the taper within .0001-2 of 8° in .100 X movement. Yes, I'm proud of my self.

The ER 40 collet chuck was one of my first projects, and quite likely used more that most any of my work-holding fixtures. I use it almost any time I am on the lathe! As a matter of fact I am going to go and use it right now!

I could detect zero concern in your reply (#3248). When it comes to such serious safety issues, I choose to be quite clear. He who is silent is understood to consent.
Unfortunately text does not convey such things clearly sometimes if at all. Any feelings you felt from the reading is often self reflected by the reader. I actually agree with your concerns. Sometimes a light jest on the subject is a subtle reminder. However it is ultimately his choice in the matter.

Unfortunately text does not convey such things clearly sometimes if at all. Any feelings you felt from the reading is often self reflected by the reader. I actually agree with your concerns. Sometimes a light jest on the subject is a subtle reminder. However it is ultimately his choice in the matter.

This stuff is on the web for anyone and everyone to see. Such gross violations of safety should be clearly noted for everyone's benefit. A light jest is too subtle (read ineffective) a comment. You make my case with ". . . the reading is often self reflected by the reader." We (members and non-members) know little to nothing about each other, so we can't know that a light jest will be received as anything but a jest. I had no real expectation of changing the perpetrators mind on the subject. He's apparently an adult so I can only hope there were/are no children in his area to learn from his poor example. However, the thought of leaving that example unchallenged, on the web for anyone to see, is not acceptable to me.

Back