2015 POTD Thread Archive

Be careful with heat and concrete, I've seen it pop chips out from direct heat. Badass burner though, I'm gonna make mine out of a microturbine fuel nozzle/injector as I was able to score a couple from work that had been used but not used up

Succesfully cut 1 1.5" 8tpi external thread and a 1.5" 8tpi internal thread.

This duplicates my spindle nose and helps gauge things in future. No need to remove chucks faceplates etc just use these things.

Was amazed at how a relatively tiny piece of swarf jammed the threads - thought I'd made a mistake in cutting them but a close look revealed a tiny piece of swarf that hadnt cut properly and was still attached to base of the V in internal thread.

And now the big job - This was a practice run prior to reboring a couple of Myford faceplates to 1.5" and cut 8tpi to fit my 9" Hercus (SB clone)

Nice work on the backing plate & I so agree on the cast. I hate working that stuff.

No pictures, but I've done all I can on my lathe toward making a 4 tool post which will mount on the saddle, not the compound. It will be far more solid than the original Lantern Post. Now, Matt, I need my PM25.

Mark ,
Did you try to heat the spike from room temp using both methods ie with & without the shim ?
If you didn't and now do it will you tell us the best timed heating result please?

Good Idea. I will try to do this tomorrow. I have a few spikes so I don't have to wait to cool them down

Mark,
you may have the same problem I had when I built a foundry out of an old propane tank, it will have to be readjusted. Burners like that produce a lot of heat, and yours looks better than mine.
and mine melted some cast iron., Left if a to long in the wrong spot, as I had a hot spot.

You guys are getting me stoked to get on this project of my foundry.

Kvt, not sure what problem you are talking about. too much heat? or readjusting it? I am sure the whole forge is going to be a learning curve. the good thing is really if I get hot enough to forge weld it will be good. If I can maintain a fairly steady heat even better. if I get a real control of the heat awesome. because then it can be used to temper. The regulator will allow me to control the burner but heat build up may make it hard to hold low heats at a steady heat. 450-800.
Mark

Sorry about that, What I was gonna say to mike is that "yes the bolt circle function is great" But I personally very rarely use it. The first readouts I used did not have that function. I got so used to doing the sine and cosine that I think its firmly implanted in my brain. LOL 3 4 6 8 and 12 hole circles are so easy, I find it easier to just dial them off using the trig functions. I do use the bolt hole function on something odd like a 7. I actually laid off a circle with dividers the other day for a guy that didnt know how. How crazy is that? You have a fantastic looking shop BTW !

Mark, thanks for the compliment on my shop. I too had found a formula for bolt hole circle like you are referring to many years ago and have had to do that at work and although you can get used to it and it is fairly easy on even numbered holes, I still am glad I let my son talk me into getting the DRO on the milling machine. Now after having it, I don't think I could go back and I see myself using the bolt hole circle function a lot in the future.

Not to say it is better or worse, I just like using it.

Nice work on the backing plate & I so agree on the cast. I hate working that stuff.

Thank you.

Mike.

Mark, Not trying to scare you but I prob did confuse thing. The adjustments I was talking about, is the fuel air ration. Your nice blue flame may not be the same once you mount it in the forge. The air restriction and the blow back from pumping the heat and gases into the more enclosed space will possibly case you to have to adjust things a little more. I know I had to do that on mine, I set it up and had a nice flame but then when I mounted it I had to go back and do more adjustments.

The other I was talking about is that this type of burner does put out a lot of heat, if needed. Two things to watch out for is hot spots, and the other is getting it to hot. I was using an old cast Iron pot, as my crucible to do some dirty aluminum, Something took my mind off it for a while, but I thought it would be ok, and ready to go when I got back to it, Well needless to say I found that it got hot enough, and that the molten metal can make a mess of things. Safety: pay attention to things when you start don't get distracted.

Back