2015 POTD Thread Archive

Turned, bored, machined & match drilled some brake caliper mounts out of .250 plate steel, then welded them to an axel assembly for my homebuilt aircraft project!

IMG_7543_zpsyed2yrod.jpg

Milling%20brakes_zps8qsevpw4.jpg

Brakemounts_zpsxbgitnwi.jpg

I finally made time Saturday to finish up some windshield/handlebar mounts for a buddies Harley. I made the bore and squared up some stock a couple weeks ago. Now I just had to turn the radius and complete them.

Started by making a mandrel to mount the blocks on my rotary table.
2iks2du.jpg

Boring to fit over the morse taper/mandrel.
2lxxvzc.jpg

Test fit before removing from lathe.
2v3stqf.jpg

Now test fit into the rotary table.
6ozwx3.jpg

Set up on the rotary table.
2uh90ci.jpg

Dialing in on center. That little modified NOGA test indicator holder sure comes in handy.
50309z.jpg

Plunging away around the radius.
fw7pdw.jpg

I made a climb milling finishing cut.
2ceq9ly.jpg

I then flattened off the ends where the fastener will be.
34zkn78.jpg

One down, one to go.
2uo0sqt.jpg

Setting up the second one on the rotary table.
9va4bb.jpg

Ready for the next step of removing the center portion.
69oz8h.jpg

Center portion removed and deburred.
2cy33eo.jpg

I didn't have any .625" stainless steel rod so I had to improvise and use some stainless steel bolts.
2qx4wn6.jpg

33as5ll.jpg

Getting closer.
24d31xx.jpg

Set up in the collet block to drill the .380" hole through the head.
29cq69w.jpg

Completed and ready to be picked up by the owner.
10oha4m.jpg

All in all a pretty straightforward and fun little job.

Mike.

You can never have enough space in your man cupboard can you ? Be it a small cubbyhole under the stairway o a 600 foot x 700 15 ton foot crane gantry three phase set up ,you can always do better .......... Can't you ?
So to this end I decided to sort out some of the accumulated junk that's too valuable to throw out to the recyclers , but where to put it ?
I decided to make some sort of shelving set up's for all the legged equipments in the small garage the shelves being put inside the legs and using the legs as part of the frame work . This is the old back lathe looking from the back of it ...suitably modified .
IMG_6012_zps4pyhpcqg.jpg.

It worked so well , so it was not long before I was all set up again to start doing the " Priority " POTD's which was to sort out the cheap set of calipers and the divider I mentioned a few weeks ago that has British standard Chinese Korean Sub Saharan thread forms of the adjusting nuts & it's screw thread adjuster in such high quality steel that they stripped the threads off after the first few times they were used . At the time I didn't realise that the adjuster has slipped a thread or two ..no wonder things wouldn't fit on the things I'd made using them for setting & checking measurements .
This is the first caliper .. I ground the adjuster bar in two after carefully taping the legs together to stop them flying apart . As I carefully undid the two legs ( Yes you guessed it ) "Ping " the fulcrum axle flew out over my right shoulder ..three hours late I found it laying in a fold of metal on the garage door.
It took a while to file the old burred & lase fused over end of the adjuster thread off & carefully centre punch it for drilling out . I guess it was the only part of the threaded bar that had decent steel in it .
Drilling it out with a 1 mm drill and then a 2 mm drill was precarious to say the least but with years of self denial & practice i completed it without any problems , i then carefully slid a ground down Allan key into the hole and unscrewed the remaining threaded sleeve , I never in my wildest of dreams thought it would be threaded and welded up . I drilled & tapped the anchor with a new bigger 3 mm thread and inserted a new precision high quality stainless steel rod .Then put a clearance drill throught the other leg's adjuster stop anchor .

Next came the amusing part . Trying to get the shouldered fulcrum pin back in the legs and inserting them in the spring " C " clamp.
After four or five failures I managed it by holding the legs , interesting them in the clamp , then carefully slipping the fulcrum pin in as far as it would go between the legs . Then using a screw driver whilst the clamp was pressed against a wooden stop I gingerly levered the fulcrum pin up the legs till it gave that joyful " Click " as it slid home where it should be.
Turning up the new adjuster nut was interesting and so was trying to set up the " bump " style knurler , instead of messing around I used 3 mm Nylock nuts for the stopped ends .... result success.

IMG_6006_zpskn1535ot.jpg

Buoyed up by this success I decided to make the top axle pin for my pair of dividers .. nothing much to it or so I thought at the time . In 25 minutes I'd turned a bit of mild steel bar to the chosen diameter , carefully knurled it without wrecking it or bending it , turned the major due diameter for the securing nut .
Rather than try and use the parting tool to part it off I stopped the lathe took the carriage to the right slopped on a pair of soft leather gloves & laid a large soft old towel over the bed to catch the part when it became free . After six strokes of the hack saw I heard it change to the nearly cut through sound , one more stoke and it came free . Then bugger me if it didn't roll along the top edge of the hacksaw blade to the back of the lathe and went off down behind it in old might use this one day metal. " $%&")~~¬ it " I cried & called it a night . I'll just have a few minutes rummage in the morning and I'll complete the job .

Little did I know that the evil man cupboard trolls and gremlins would conspire against me over night and hide it well , infact so well that I ended up having to strip out that side of the garage before I found it nestled between the white water pipe and the garage wall , long long after I'd searched ,brushed and wiped down every sodding bit of plastic , metal , machinery and wood . & having vacuumed the floor twice and still not finding it.

Such are the trials of life for hard working folk . Part of the garage contents enoying the sunshine .

IMG_6002_zpsz8i8nuei.jpg

The utter devastation of the rest of the garage inside ... note the white water pipe on the wall .
IMG_6003_zps4zrduxsx.jpg

Seven hours later everything was put back in a better order & I finally assembled and tested the dividers , having first gingerly drilled &7 tapped the " C" spring for the new 3 mm thread or the axle .

Result... an astounding success for the day in more ways than one.
IMG_6005_zpsme1pgpnd.jpg

P.S.
I'm having today off , I deserve it .

You can never have enough space in your man cupboard can you ? Be it a small cubbyhole under the stairway o a 600 foot x 700 15 ton foot crane gantry three phase set up ,you can always do better .......... Can't you ?
So to this end I decided to sort out some of the accumulated junk that's too valuable to throw out to the recyclers , but where to put it ?
I decided to make some sort of shelving set up's for all the legged equipments in the small garage the shelves being put inside the legs and using the legs as part of the frame work . This is the old back lathe looking from the back of it ...suitably modified .
IMG_6012_zps4pyhpcqg.jpg.

It worked so well , so it was not long before I was all set up again to start doing the " Priority " POTD's which was to sort out the cheap set of calipers and the divider I mentioned a few weeks ago that has British standard Chinese Korean Sub Saharan thread forms of the adjusting nuts & it's screw thread adjuster in such high quality steel that they stripped the threads off after the first few times they were used . At the time I didn't realise that the adjuster has slipped a thread or two ..no wonder things wouldn't fit on the things I'd made using them for setting & checking measurements .
This is the first caliper .. I ground the adjuster bar in two after carefully taping the legs together to stop them flying apart . As I carefully undid the two legs ( Yes you guessed it ) "Ping " the fulcrum axle flew out over my right shoulder ..three hours late I found it laying in a fold of metal on the garage door.
It took a while to file the old burred & lase fused over end of the adjuster thread off & carefully centre punch it for drilling out . I guess it was the only part of the threaded bar that had decent steel in it .
Drilling it out with a 1 mm drill and then a 2 mm drill was precarious to say the least but with years of self denial & practice i completed it without any problems , i then carefully slid a ground down Allan key into the hole and unscrewed the remaining threaded sleeve , I never in my wildest of dreams thought it would be threaded and welded up . I drilled & tapped the anchor with a new bigger 3 mm thread and inserted a new precision high quality stainless steel rod .Then put a clearance drill throught the other leg's adjuster stop anchor .

Next came the amusing part . Trying to get the shouldered fulcrum pin back in the legs and inserting them in the spring " C " clamp.
After four or five failures I managed it by holding the legs , interesting them in the clamp , then carefully slipping the fulcrum pin in as far as it would go between the legs . Then using a screw driver whilst the clamp was pressed against a wooden stop I gingerly levered the fulcrum pin up the legs till it gave that joyful " Click " as it slid home where it should be.
Turning up the new adjuster nut was interesting and so was trying to set up the " bump " style knurler , instead of messing around I used 3 mm Nylock nuts for the stopped ends .... result success.

IMG_6006_zpskn1535ot.jpg

Buoyed up by this success I decided to make the top axle pin for my pair of dividers .. nothing much to it or so I thought at the time . In 25 minutes I'd turned a bit of mild steel bar to the chosen diameter , carefully knurled it without wrecking it or bending it , turned the major due diameter for the securing nut .
Rather than try and use the parting tool to part it off I stopped the lathe took the carriage to the right slopped on a pair of soft leather gloves & laid a large soft old towel over the bed to catch the part when it became free . After six strokes of the hack saw I heard it change to the nearly cut through sound , one more stoke and it came free . Then bugger me if it didn't roll along the top edge of the hacksaw blade to the back of the lathe and went off down behind it in old might use this one day metal. " $%&")~~¬ it " I cried & called it a night . I'll just have a few minutes rummage in the morning and I'll complete the job .

Little did I know that the evil man cupboard trolls and gremlins would conspire against me over night and hide it well , infact so well that I ended up having to strip out that side of the garage before I found it nestled between the white water pipe and the garage wall , long long after I'd searched ,brushed and wiped down every sodding bit of plastic , metal , machinery and wood . & having vacuumed the floor twice and still not finding it.

Such are the trials of life for hard working folk . Part of the garage contents enoying the sunshine .

IMG_6002_zpsz8i8nuei.jpg

The utter devastation of the rest of the garage inside ... note the white water pipe on the wall .
IMG_6003_zps4zrduxsx.jpg

Seven hours later everything was put back in a better order & I finally assembled and tested the dividers , having first gingerly drilled &7 tapped the " C" spring for the new 3 mm thread or the axle .

Result... an astounding success for the day in more ways than one.
IMG_6005_zpsme1pgpnd.jpg

P.S.
I'm having today off , I deserve it .

I've been trying to decide how how to mount DROs on my 10k. This gives me some ideas!

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my atlas 12" I had to mount the x scale on the chuck side of the cross, I'll post a picture later of it, I used yuri (spell) touchdro, turned out great, but I had to remove it for a certain job and haven't installed it again lol

Great idea.
That is a good place to put the DRO so it's out of the way and protected.
I'd have to do some modifying to use my Taper Attachment without removing it.

Got around to finishing my mini DRO's (I made three, each with a different magnet arrangement on the bottom to be sure I don't run into a situation where they cannot be used.)

I had started a couple small projects before going in the hospital and finished them after getting home last week. I am only allowed in the shop for short times right now, but got these done.

i wanted square collet holders for the T&C grinder I built but was not going to pay the high price for the square 5C collets. I took a piece of 1/2" x 1" CRS and milled a 5/16" slot in the center of it .150" deep. I then cut it in half and sandwiched it over a 5/16" lathe bit to keep alignment. I chucked it in the 4 jaw and turned the body round at .625" diameter.
finished collet halves.jpg This is the two finished halves .

tool holder inserts and bit.jpg The tool bit fits here.
square collet holding bit.jpg The assembly fits in the 5C collet and the square end is used to set a level on to set the tool square, then the proper angle can be adjusted by turning the work head on the grinder. This was an easy inexpensive solution to grinding lathe bits on my T&C grinder. Now to make one for 1/4"and 3/8" bits.

The other little project was a friend gave me some tool insert holders and inserts. I cut some CRS and made holders for the insert ends.
milled pockets in tool holders.jpg I milled a pocket in the end of the 1" square steel bars. I used a carbide burr in my Dremel to square the inside corner.
inserted tool holders.jpg I drilled a 1/4-20 hole at a 22.5 degree angle and mounted the insert holders in the pocket. I then (as seen in the right side of the photo) cut the thickness down to .700" so the tools fit in my QCTP holders.

finished tool holders.jpg This is the finished holders. Since he gave me three insert holders , I went ahead and made three tool holders.

finished inserted tool holders.jpg This is the finished set. They are really nice considering I have NO money invested in them. I rarely use carbide tools but do need one once in a while. At least I will be ready when I need one.

Back