2015 POTD Thread Archive

cheeze and rice jrt, that plain more that any many should have. . . . . . . . i have about 8, maybe 10, and thats more than i can . . . . . . well, maybe a couple more would be ok ::)

you cant have too many tool holders!
I need more as I get fed up swapping bits out

What did I do in my shop today? And yesterday and the day before? I wasn't in my shop but in my office fighting with my computer. A power glitch last week shut off my computer and a second one shut it down again during the reboot.

After that, email started crashing and the computer slowed down to a crawl. a slooow crawl. I started a full virus scan using Norton Security at about 11:00PM Sunday night and at 10:00 the next morning, it was still scanning; over ten million files. I finally aborted the scan. I don't have ten million files.

Yesterday afternoon, was was struggling to keep email working. I would reboot my computer and the email would work for a few minutes and then not receive any incoming mail. I called my isp and had them reset my passwords, thinking my system had been hacked but that didn't help. All this time my hard drive was busy, every half second or so doing a read/write.

I finally opened the resource monitor and lo and behold, Norton was writing about 1 mB of something every half second. This morning, I called Norton customer service and after a scan for malware, an uninstall of Norton Security and a reinstall (three hours elapsed time), everything is happy again. The e-mails are flowing in. The hard drive is blissfully quiet and, instead of taking a minute or two to access the Hobby Machinist site, it takes a couple of seconds.

Not exactly a machining project (although it is the computer that I have my CAd and CAM on so it could qualify as a rebuild;)) but it is what I did.

Bob

very cool hman, i love that type of art, although a quarter or nickel in the picture would be cool to reference size

As promised the other day, I did my experiment with the magnet in a pill bottle as a swarf collector on my lathe. Rather than use the neodymium magnets we were talking about, I used a chunk of magnet from a trashed hard disk. To facilitate getting it out of the bottle, I glued a piece of popsicle stick to it as a handle. Place it in the bottle, put on the cap, and place it on the cross slide right beneath the tool.
I estimate it caught 90% of the swarf while facing and turning on a 3/8" rod. This included turning a taper with the compound slide, for this, the bottle has to ride on the compound slide, or latch onto the QCTP.
Three images:
1. The pill bottle, magnet and its handle
2. Swarf catcher in place, ready for action
3. Results: a good catch
Greg
jar magnet handle.jpg
2015-07-23 14.46.31.jpg 2015-07-23 15.44.45.jpg

It will be exciting when a piece of swarf grabs the pile, and the rotating work at the same time and throws the pile, the bottle, and all across the room. This happens all the time, the bottle with the magnet just adds more mass to throw.

With a little care it should save a lot of clean up and when it is loaded, just change it out for a clean one. I'm game.
John.

I agree with you Jim. It might save a few minutes cleaning if the lathe were making chips but definitely not when turning out long stringy swarf.

Back