2015 POTD Thread Archive

I agree with you Jim. It might save a few minutes cleaning if the lathe were making chips but definitely not when turning out long stringy swarf.
Yes but long stringy swarf is a hazard even without this device. Better to grind/buy tools with a chip breaker or if this is not applicable just remove the device.
John.

Did some clean up on my mill and trammed in the vise. I muscled the 6" Kurt onto the table and moved it to the stains on the table that matched the old vise and by eyeball I was only off by .005" over the 6 ins. Should have gone out and bought a lottery ticket. LOL

Also made my first cut using a 1/2" 3 flute endmill on the edge of a 1/2" plate of HR. .050" cut was so smooth compared to my smaller mill. Easy peasy.

Did some clean up on my mill and trammed in the vise. I muscled the 6" Kurt onto the table and moved it to the stains on the table that matched the old vise and by eyeball I was only off by .005" over the 6 ins. Should have gone out and bought a lottery ticket. LOL

Also made my first cut using a 1/2" 3 flute endmill on the edge of a 1/2" plate of HR. .050" cut was so smooth compared to my smaller mill. Easy peasy.

We still haven't seen pictures of your new toys..er tools.

Finished "tuning up" my HF metal brake so I can make an enclosure for my CNC mill. Did some surfing on the web and found a few useful hints on how to improve the design to make it a more useful tool. I'm using 24ga steel sheet so it should do the job.

A few months back I saw a hand made tool that allows you to use a leaf brake as a pan and box brake. I can't find the link. Anyone know where to look?

Here I've welded on a piece of 1-1/2" square by .120" wall tubing to stiffen the bending leaf. You can see the set back adjuster on the lower right.
20150724_125524_resized_1.jpg

Here's a closeup of the set back adjuster. It's a piece of 1-1/2" channel with a slot. I added the 1/4" adjusting rod and angle iron bracket to make setting the set back easier.
20150724_132750_resized_1.jpg

I'm assembling the most expensive hobby TIG tungsten grinder ever today stay tuned...

Interesting.......I'll be watching

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back