2015 POTD Thread Archive

My project of the day is a heavy duty arbor for my larger hole saws.

I get tired of replacing the 1/4" drill bit every time the hole saw get hung and kicks back and kinks the bit! Especially cutting sheet metal in electrical boxes. Who hasn't had that to happen to them?
I have job needing to cut 4-1/4" holes, four of them total. A Greenlee knock out punch of that size is over$500! not going to pay, no way!
So here's my setup I have built.
DSCN2794.JPG DSCN2796.JPG DSCN2797.JPG

My procedure of operation is as follows:
1) Drill a hole for Greenlee 1/2' pipe knockout punch, I use a 7/16 hole buster.
2) Punch out the hole to 1/2" pipe, actual size comes out about.880"
3) Take the large hole saw, apply my favorite cutting oil and get after it using my Milwaukee Drill.

Here's the results:

DSCN2798.JPG DSCN2799.JPG

A lot of the stuff McMaster sells is the same china made items, just priced higher.
Make certain the manufacture information is listed.

My procedure of operation is as follows:
1) Drill a hole for Greenlee 1/2' pipe knockout punch, I use a 7/16 hole buster.
2) Punch out the hole to 1/2" pipe, actual size comes out about.880"
3) Take the large hole saw, apply my favorite cutting oil and get after it using my Milwaukee Drill.

Here's the results:

View attachment 107949 View attachment 107951

Nice job. When I use my hole saws I drill a 1/4 pilot hole. My hole saw mandrel has a 1/4 hardened dowel pin instead of a drill bit. This works much like your device but has been more thrifty. Your adapter gives much more piloting support though.

Nice job. When I use my hole saws I drill a 1/4 pilot hole. My hole saw mandrel has a 1/4 hardened dowel pin instead of a drill bit. This works much like your device but has been more thrifty. Your adapter gives much more piloting support though.

Yeah, it's a little over kill. My thought process didn't react fast enough, I wish now that I had cut a 1/2" diameter pilot for about 2-1/2" long on the adapter instead of the 7/8" screw on pilot. Would have worked just as good! Would have saved some time not having to punch out a hole for the 7/8" pilot. Oh well... I my go head and build one for later....

I have a 10" baldor, awesome grinder, I built a stand outta pipe and a pipe flange (oil field)
Coolidge I have to question your sanity, spending all that for a tungsten grinder lol, one-uh them fancy handheld tungsten grinders for about 350 bucks would a been the Cadillac to have, with the angle a built in to it..... and you can't grind anything but tungsten with it so there's no contamination

Last edited:
Got tired of lugging around a hudson sprayer...since i had a tank that i used on a job, and wheels that were on sale for 5 bucks each, I made a cart for it....now I'm good for 25 gallons of toxic mix for those damn weeds ...die die die!!!!!!

(went to get the final touch at ace..nylon lock nuts for the wheels. ended up with one wrong thread.....damn it)

IMG_6583-2.jpg IMG_6584-2.jpg IMG_6579-2.jpg IMG_6580-2.jpg IMG_6581-2.jpg IMG_6582-2.jpg IMG_6585-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back