2015 POTD Thread Archive

Thanks for the ideas on tool organization I loaded all day from 06:00 until now. I didn't realize how much stuff I had acquired over the years.
Mike, the center stool area has 2" receivers on both sides. The jig you mentioned is for third members, I set up gears as well as install ARB air lockers for folks, so the receiver really allows for a rigid set up for taking critical measurements. I'm a big fan of fixtures/jigs that can be stowed after use.
Once again, thanks Mike,Charles,Ken,exotic and David for taking the time to share your ideas.IMG_0729.JPGIMG_0733.JPG IMG_0730.JPG

Snap-On boxes no less. You're just showing off now. :grin:

I just went back to the painting photos to check. I see that the notches for the logo clearance and the lock access were in when painted. You dawwwwg.

How do we nominate that monster for Project Of The Month?

Last edited:
;) Let's talk dirty ..
When are you going to start working in the workshop , it's far too clean to be a real workshop ?? :D

Seriously :-
In the top drawer most of those tools that are in decent boxes should stay in them , I'd make removable wooden trays for the others .
If you can , double stack a couple of boxes as well you can alway put green or blue felt liners glued in the boxes if you feel like doing that sort of thing.

Tis time round ,should I ever re do things I'd take the time and get a small dovetailer that could accept a foot or so's width of 10 mm planed beech or birds eye maple board and make one foot tall dove tailed frames. Then when glued & set I'd cut the frames at half a dove tail point to depth using the fence of a quality saw table to give me dovetailed frames that I could put floors in/on .

Maybe even going to the trouble of routering out on a home made router table a small recess for the floors to drop into ... time is now on my side of the fence .....well till my birth certificate runs out.

Snap-On boxes no less. You're just showing off now. :grin:

I just went back to the painting photos to check. I see that the notches for the logo clearance and the lock access were in when painted. You dawwwwg.

How do we nominate that monster for Project Of The Month?

Haha..Since you asked about the boxes, they are in fact HF best seller on sale for $359.00 ea. Those boxes are built pretty well and in this application (anchored) they slide nice under weight.
The clearance notches where done during the addition of the top rail, for the lock I used a 1" punch (1/2 of the punch) on the iron worker and the badge clearance was notched on the ironworker as well.
I found 10 unpainted plastic Snap-on badges on eBay for $15. Made an aluminum template to locate and drill the holes and after hand painting them, I wasn't going to cover them with angle haha.
;) Let's talk dirty ..
When are you going to start working in the workshop , it's far too clean to be a real workshop ?? :D

Seriously :-
In the top drawer most of those tools that are in decent boxes should stay in them , I'd make removable wooden trays for the others .
If you can , double stack a couple of boxes as well you can alway put green or blue felt liners glued in the boxes if you feel like doing that sort of thing.

I work real hard at keeping it clean. I have four large dogs that love to visit me at the end of the day, so no swarf left behind for them to track it into the house. In nine months since moving in, I have built a few good sized projects for others. The largest project so far was a 14K dump trailer taking two months. I still work a full-time job that requires 24hr shifts every other day with a reward of 6 days off after five shifts.
Thanks for the advice on the tool storage dilemma. I have too many items so shadowing would not work for me.

For the record...I saw a workbench on another forum utilizing the same boxes and materials. In fact, I found this website from one of his postings.
His name is "Steevo" and he built a four box workbench that went along the wall and corner. I really liked his choice of materials, so I built one with a twist to fit my needs. It has been fun but need to move on with other shop improvements for efficiency.
Thank you all for your comments.

Congradulations! You are now a snap-on manufacturer! :)

I have wondered if toolboxes are made like our venerable imported machines. Slap on different color paint, different (sometimes) decals and ship 'em.

Excellent job on the bench. Looks sturdy. Where did you get the top?

This is one of the tool boxes I built several years ago. Has 50 drawers in all. They have maple fronts and a 1/2" square metal image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg tubing frame. The drawers are 10" wide by 22" deep. There are 42 of them 1 1/2" deep, 6 are 3 1/2" deep and 2 are 5 1/2" deep. Also one big door with three shelves. I built it in three sections so it's easier to move when it's full. When I retired I had to move it from my last job to my shop here at home. Sure glad I had a big crane here to unload it.

The whole box is 6' long X 2' deep X 38" high. Took a while to build it. Most tool boxes have real deep drawers so you have to stack everything up. This way most everything lays flat and has its own place.

image.jpg image.jpg This is the other box I built about thirty years ago. I built it out of solid 3/4" birch. Looked real good then but it has really gotten dirty over the years. Needs a good cleaning and refinishing as does the other box I built.

It is 24" deep X 24" wide X 38" tall. Has 9 drawers that are 20" X 20" X 3" deep. Also has a tambour top so the whole box can be locked up.

I was gonna say fire stopper what you couldn't spring for the KRL master series lol
I even got the mini boxes lol, the green snap on is a sickness, just have everything green. The mini boxes hold inserts and other lathe tooling moslty.
20150909_102406.jpg

Back