2015 POTD Thread Archive

High price & low quality seem to go hand in hand when thinking of swimming pool parts. When the stair rail mounts at my son's pool broke, I bought a couple of PVC, sch.80 pipe flanges & stainless steel hardware. Then I bored out the center hole to a slightly tighter than slip fit for the rail to go through. After that, I notched, drilled & tapped a couple of holes for the set screws to lock in the railing. It was a hoot to be able to make these.

Every home should have a milling machine for jobs like this.

IMG_20150908_145406.jpg IMG_20150908_145418 (1).jpg

Congradulations! You are now a snap-on manufacturer! :)

I have wondered if toolboxes are made like our venerable imported machines. Slap on different color paint, different (sometimes) decals and ship 'em.

Excellent job on the bench. Looks sturdy. Where did you get the top?

Yea, I kind a cheated with the badging, but it looks good on there. No secrets here. The top (.125 HR) was sheared to my measurements, I then notched the corners and broke the 2" legs and welded the seam. I was going to secure it to the plywood deck but it fits snuggly to it. After leveling it, I dropped 7 or 8 precision balls onto top from 6" with no rolling, basically bounced once then sat.
I like what others have done for storage of tooling.

Haha..Since you asked about the boxes, they are in fact HF best seller on sale for $359.00 ea. Those boxes are built pretty well and in this application (anchored) they slide nice under weight.
The clearance notches where done during the addition of the top rail, for the lock I used a 1" punch (1/2 of the punch) on the iron worker and the badge clearance was notched on the ironworker as well.
I found 10 unpainted plastic Snap-on badges on eBay for $15. Made an aluminum template to locate and drill the holes and after hand painting them, I wasn't going to cover them with angle haha.

I initially assumed HF boxes as I've heard some good things about them and the price is right. With 52 drawers in that bench, should be no need to overload anything. You store your bullion elsewhere, right? After I saw your pics (logo) last night, I went to the Snap-On web site to see what a 13 drawer box costs. Near-as-damn-it $2.5K each. However, I couldn't find your drawer configuration. I had heard that Snap-On will do cu$tom configuration$ for $0me $$$, so thought you might have done that. But now you've spilled the beans, I agree with your choice of the boxes. Not as riche' as Snap-On but appropriate to the application and fiscally sound. Nice rig!

Last edited:
My box is a KRL 722, Masters series, two long drawers, almost $6k, you cant even tell but my son ran my car into the front of the one pictured, it pushed the wall out about 8 inches, try that with your HF box lol

I found 10 unpainted plastic Snap-on badges on eBay for $15. Made an aluminum template to locate and drill the holes and after hand painting them, I wasn't going to cover them with angle haha.

O M G !!! You da MAN!!!

That's gotta be the slickest camouflage job I've seen since my cousin (who worked at the Levi's plant in Waco ~40 years ago) re-covered a couch with blue denim and sewed real Levi's red tabs to the cushions. Congratulations on a job very well done!

Personally I don't find anything cool or funny about the badges. Put a bowtie on a ford, it still ain't no chevrolet

Late addition
Don't get me wrong, your setup is definitely sweet. And I do commend you for putting it out there right away that the boxes are not genuine. Before I got my box, 8 wished and dreamed about it, then when I had the coin and got it home it was worth the wait. The lifetime of service and the local dealer I have makes the juice worth the squeeze

Last edited:
Back