2017 POTD Thread Archive

I really gotta learn about how to wire controllers and such to dc motors. I come across tread mills and their motors all the time.

So it all started with aligning the tail stock on my lathe. I was using a scrap piece of SS shaft to make the test cuts and when I was finally done I had this nice piece of straight shaft so I had to do something with it. As I didn't have one of these dual indicator tools and the shaft seemed like the perfect start I built this. Pretty basic so I added a little bling to it to jazz it up.
tramming tool.jpg

Had a few slitting saws that I wanted an arbor for, looked online and really didn't care for what was available and the $ of some of the better arbors. Since I had standardized on 1" hole for the arbor, I didn't need one with an adjustable hole, nor needed multiple arbors. Spent the day and turned some 1.5" oil rod and was able to get very minimal runout. I use the same wrench as I use on the QCTP to hold the arbor and it locks with a 5/16" Allen bolt with a spring lock washer. Nice to make some chips on this project.
20170409_174133.jpg20170409_175102.jpg 20170409_174652.jpg 20170409_174435.jpg

serving boards.jpg So I'm out in the shop cleaning up from my morning metal working and my daughter shows up with a "little" project for me. She and her husband have a coffee shop/cafe/bike shop and they also serve craft beer. She had purchased 26 bamboo cutting boards to use to serve their beer samplers on. Of course they wanted them machined to hold the five small glasses that they use for the sampler. I have never worked with bamboo before but it machined very nicely. And here I was thinking that metal working was messy.......

Had a few slitting saws that I wanted an arbor for, looked online and really didn't care for what was available and the $ of some of the better arbors. Since I had standardized on 1" hole for the arbor, I didn't need one with an adjustable hole, nor needed multiple arbors. Spent the day and turned some 1.5" oil rod and was able to get very minimal runout. I use the same wrench as I use on the QCTP to hold the arbor and it locks with a 5/16" Allen bolt with a spring lock washer. Nice to make some chips on this project.
View attachment 231088View attachment 231089 View attachment 231090 View attachment 231091
I like the light. Does it really light the work? I find led's to not light as well, don't know why whether it's the color, the soft look. Many are actually flashing at a very high rate of frequency. When I would take my high powered flashlight out to walk the dog and make sure there were no deer, or fox, that he would chase I would see the effect against the fog or rain. So maybe that's what I am seeing as not as sharp as incandescent.

I like the light. Does it really light the work?
There is a wide variation on the light output and color for LEDs, often they have the wrong color spectrum so they appear either too yellow or blue, the latter appears dimmer. I often use a combination of LEDs to prevent shadows, and also for the color balance. I use a light bar and then a focused light source on the work, light color is usually something in the 3200-4000K which is considered Daylight spectrum. The combination of the LED light bar and halo ring is about equivalent to 150-200W with halogen bulbs, but without the heat. Everything runs off of DC, have not had any issues with flicker. I often use Philips daylight LED MR16 bulbs which have higher lumen output and the light bar is an industrial one made by Waldman, make a very big difference in the quality of the light.
20161121_162102.jpg20161121_163600.jpg

Made an adjustable tooling rack for my Tormach TTS holders and some commonly used tools like the Haimer or my caliper etc. Mounted it to the enclosure using the existing screws so no customizing required. Used shelf standards from the big box store and S4S pine for the shelves. Hole pattern machined on the 1100 of course. . This wont be my actual tool placement but I wanted to put some on the shelves to take pics...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1491879424.063849.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1491879434.128796.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1491879450.963253.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1491879477.764649.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1491879497.681648.jpg

Cheeseking,
Nice rack! :D
Recommend you do something to keep the tool/pine contact from promoting rust. The wood WILL hold moisture.
The choice of sealing method is up to debate. Re-machine and add plastic grommets/bushings at each hole should do it.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-grommets/=1758qm0

Last edited:
After another look, I see you have all those shelf brackets, IMO, upside down (perpendicular edge down). I don't think I've ever see brackets that are, what can I say, AC/DC? But I like it.

Please post a pic of the business end of an un-mounted bracket for my (our?) education or 'fes up, you made the brackets too?

Please post a pic of the business end of an un-mounted bracket for my (our?) education or 'fes up, you made the brackets too?

Looks like custom made brackets to me - commercial ones have a angle bend into them for the shelf to sit on.

Back