2017 POTD Thread Archive

I'll be out with friends / family and they'll be sitting around talking about Game of Thrones, Deck of Cards, or whatever TV show is the rage these days, and all I want to do is scream because if I brought up the latest video from ecdez I would just get blank stares. I don't watch TV except for the odd movie here and there. Although that's not accurate for all my friends, I do have a small group of people I hang out with that enjoys listening to my machining adventures.

That's a good point. I don't watch TV either and have no idea what the newest TV show rage is. None of my friends know who Adam Booth or Clickspring or This Old Tony is. I'm in a world of own over here.

I'll be out with friends / family and they'll be sitting around talking about Game of Thrones, Deck of Cards, or whatever TV show is the rage these days, and all I want to do is scream because if I brought up the latest video from ecdez I would just get blank stares. I don't watch TV except for the odd movie here and there. Although that's not accurate for all my friends, I do have a small group of people I hang out with that enjoys listening to my machining adventures.

Same here, I don't watch TV except for news, jeopardy, Big Bang, and Madam Secretary..
Otherwise it's volleyball or the shop... And youtube , I like the machinists on there.
I figure life is too short to be sitting there vegging all the time.

Right now, I have a new dog, so all the shop time is off the table until we are fully bonded, and trained. This week is just bonding only, next week I start intense training, trying to get him to where I would like him.
At work, all the young people talk about the shows all day. I don't think they do anything but watch tv.

Haven't watched any TV for at least 5 years. Just eats up too much time. When I do have some downtime, I'll read a book.

I do agree that listening a bunch of people endlessly discuss the latest episode(s) of "whatever" to be about the most boring thing I've ever experienced. I'm much more interested in what people do. Sitting in front of the tube (OK, flatscreen ...call me a dinosaur) is so durn passive!

OK, end of rant.

Started catching up on that growing log pile. Sawing the first log a bearing on the axle supporting the blade wheels started howling, then rumbling. I used cheap Chinese bearing from Princess Auto when I built it. This is the fourth one that piled up. The ones I got today are Japanese. 1 3/4 inch self aligning

H05Hp4563NQHtSDmYCq0ijtMgPO4ra393Giw1darXQtV76ISvFvb8sEB4MhUnEqXFk2AJNzTuUkLS6VD3_z86eSidQ4TRQn4_lcQkrKSK8AOvahtzbSMFGgGJPZiTTMGJT_cE5VyhXDiMbYYrCyeOsfiwv4lcsIK6upLTxyK6MWGil63KbfQUjzfSjVnc7Gvy18xTreadQog2Q6Y_vX93MP-AC1Eb2vHj7yw3BUXAXndqkdHrEfxIaIOkodi8PwEMs7IZv2fDJnUvxV12Z-69Ru8AQUdrTqP7MKDgW1dHasqIokCPqVQXPRewYvHi4G-mr2FHJa3KV_QKw9MWuOURTOWImvtqV29gvsSO0T0PWLGx7jiJXCxazGeOBGdnfDt-MhVXQTkXhotXr7rldkRjAoMsx7JU556Db6YjIbsfrgL-D8Yl5xOJO9Y0XxG-YsIIzKFJxU2MFWn5E4QbYr4r3caVlMgAtFhNq8Fze3DqZr84aWq-qr_V2xAG7bCIkq5xTiiBBs8UhX84v30APwAjD6Y0wxOduCUPCJoS2bQ4WeCHo6bLRw-LZg6GJ9_mnbpYmrS0ShF2SSx6vFepQTqTGsQlOGAuBBzpi6FBnXpUW3xqwyvyKUofJGE=w957-h1276-no

Like the other ones the cage broke up, on a couple of them the inside and outside race broke. Caught this one in time.

cwR_e8goV5V3sxHzhNcxnFw2sntYCWzCEahvyn5I7pjkR7ZTI8eUaJOFqcfXz2wReN3Cy0z77iV8PmsNvtiQ6HJ9dzkC6F1p2GVaQJgw-wWBUkDl8lMfwymWDuCQ8pLreuj78Dcst2-kugvt00jDkoM-1F0RRXftpPq6LlC6mD67vnefsD9JIuwEG6boVGpJ-aFp5fRjc4FDOLpPiOPj9FX2g0H7s1GXYrY09DAsznWEMKpCE_1o0cmLHzHD6pR6llGrpatZjnGl2YqD0J0yRyiW0u3rAVGz63f2Iu5GRNx4BwC0V_swN3_Rm63FFrB0fvmVkQWlvx4ahUSQ94y9S3Mv_-vpi5yf7YhyI4nOeVLN4kLi7X03w8WXKu3RuRsMWwmrJXt7KjK2POsqEEUhsRN-Ej7hhNYGrYAfVwnS07co05qU6MhWxJUzQA3Dv7QaEYhgr80sWkTrwvJwabRtPVuvrqreBB5i6WeqhXSFBPKjh6dzwLFKymLRxIwTPXBd6uoPc1HbHGiMtyujL5JgXO1cdQZVUMs711Ugzr8Cz2uw4iKdMkp4weX_jE68H-mezuLncu-3ZJ6ib4efXaFA3Uk9zkTfRtLDLAdCxRoHDs6Awg4sJSpOfQ2y=w957-h1276-no

Greg

On the weekend I finally finished my collet closer. It's a simple drawbar/handwheel with a thrust bearing. I had drawn it up a long time ago and the internal threading kept me from starting this project. I guess it took about 3 weeks, plugging away a little bit at a time in the evenings after the kids went to bed.

During the course of this project I really got my new QCTP dialled in. I now have about 10 tools loaded and ready to go.

The hand wheel is an old power steering pump pulley that I machined the belt ribs off. The thrust bearing is from INA. The rest is mostly self explanatory.
7937.jpg

7936.jpg

The piece I'm most proud of is the bulky piece in the middle. The hand wheel is a press fit, the thrust bearing is a close sliding fit (in case I need to take it off for service / replacement), and the end is threaded M30x2. I also bored most of it out to lighten it. It's 1018 steel. I hit all my dimensions and the surface finish is very smooth! I used indexable carbide for rough cuts, and finished with a nice sharp HSS bit.
7930.jpg

7939.jpg

7938.jpg

7935.jpg

7933.jpg

For the aluminum sleeve, I machined it for a press fit (about 1.5 thou interference), and heated it up to help it install. Went on really nice and I machined the taper after it was on the tube.
7932.jpg

I had a few people over to hang out in the garage over the weekend, and a couple laughed (all in good spirit) that I wouldn't just buy a washer and was making one out of stainless. Once I finished it they definitely agreed it was a nice touch! :p
7934.jpg

7931.jpg

Hey Mike, thanks. I had thought about knurling the wheel but fear my knurling abilities aren't quite there yet. It is something I can always do a little later, after I've had more practice.

I really like my Grizzly G0709 lathe set up; good variety of quick change tool holders within an easy grasp. One of my other lathes is a Clausing 12 x 24 which usually has a 5C collet chuck mounted. The QC tool holders for it had been setting in a HF tool cart within an easy reach, but not as convenient as the Grizzly set up. The Clausing doesn’t have a back splash on it which leaves some hard to get to places to sweep up swarf on the back side of the lathe.

I “stole” the idea on a roll-around back splash/tool holder from another poster on this site. I couldn’t find the OP’s posting to give them proper credit but will if I eventually find it. Second best activity is reading through old postings on this site!

The frame is 1” square tubing with 1/8” wall thickness. Cut the pieces on a chop saw, welded with a Hobart 190 MIG welder. Sheet metal is 20 gauge galvanized. My Tennsmith shear has a 37” capacity, HF 3-in-one sheet metal machine a 30” press brake and my Diacro brake has a 24” limit. The back splash was made from 4 pieces of sheet metal because of my equipment limitations. Ideally it would be one piece. The lower splash pieces were attached to the tubing with sheet metal screws, as were the vertical panels. Everything was painted with 3 coats of Krylon gray primer/paint.

The tool holder rack is unistrut bolted to the top of the back splash with a couple of aluminum blocks. There’s also an aluminum plate with a series of 1” holes for tail stock tooling bolted to the rack.

All in all it makes for a nice set up. Keeps the chips off the floor on the back side of the lathe, tool holders are right there for quick changes. Oh, nothing special about the dimensions, base on casters is about 1” wider than the lathe. The vertical tubing is between the front and rear casters so it isn’t tippy, though it does have a little wobble back/forth if pushed hard. Maybe a diagonal brace between the base and the vertical tubes in the future.

Bruce

20170121_094500.jpg 20170806_120652.jpg 20170806_164111.jpg 20170810_094855.jpg 20170810_102027.jpg 20170810_102137.jpg

Wowsers!! The idea of a mobile backsplash is absolutely fantastic! As you say in your last caption, it makes for easy acccess to the back of the lathe for service. Now I've gotta figure if I can do this myself. Thanks for your post.

Back