2017 POTD Thread Archive

A new business venture for you? At $100 for a used one you should be able to make some decent money producing some of those. Maybe even look into other specialty bike parts.

Your friend must be very happy to have a friend like you.
I think the price has more to do with the rarity of people that would actually won’t one. It is for an old wheel hub disassembly. Most people these day probably wouldn’t bother trying to service it and would just replace it with a modern equivalent - but my friend swears by the out design and keeps them going.

Picked up a 0-1/2” Jacobs chuck with a ½”-20 tpi mount. POTD was to make an arbor for mounting it in an ER collet for use in my Bridgeport.
Started with a piece of ¾” diameter drill rod. First set it with my set-tru chuck to less than 0.001” total runout. Then turned a shoulder down to 0.495” in prep for single-point threaded the ½”-20 thread. Center drilled, tap drilled and tapped a ¼”-20 hole for a retaining screw.

On to the single-point threading. Cut a relief at the end of the thread to about 0.015” smaller than the tap drill for a 7/16”-20 thread. I used the pre-formed thread insert to mark the end of the thread if it was run to the shoulder, then moved 0.060” from the shoulder for some wiggle room at the end of threading. Used a grooving tool to cut the relief. Faced the shoulder and cut a bevel on the back side of the thread.

Set the compound to 29.5 deg. and took 0.003” passes until the thread was getting close. Verified pitch diameter with a screw pitch micrometer. Checked the fit with the Jacobs chuck.

Then turned the shank down to 0.500”. Parted and sanded/ground the end flat and added a bevel. Heat treating was done with an oxyacetylene torch and a hot plate for tempering.

I checked run out in the BP with a spotting drill. Measured a total of 0.004” which would be the run out of the mill spindle, collet chuck, ER collet, my arbor and the Jacobs chuck. Not stupendous, but good enough for me. Especially for a screw on chuck with no central register.

Bruce

20171022_123531.jpg
20171022_125658.jpg
20171022_132441.jpg
20171022_135327.jpg
20171022_135622.jpg

Bruce,
Nice arbor . . . but, for future reference and the benefit of others, I think chuck retaining screws are commonly left hand thread. Left hand thread so it tightens as the chuck tries to unscrew from the arbor. I keep a few commercially purchased screws on hand (10-32LH IIRC) for similar projects.
Also, with both threads right hand and both 20 TPI, the retainer won't retain at all beyond the breakaway torque. Oooops. Sorry. :apologize::apologize::apologize:

eBay search = chuck retaining screws

Made some simple hangers for my air tools in an attempt to tidy up a bit.

I had some aluminum oval tube left over (was used as coat hanger rails inside of wardrobes) which fitted the bill.
IMG_4679.JPG

Milled a 10mm slot and then a 12mm hole on the edge. I spaced them 50mm apart for the small tools (guns, die grinder, etc) and 75mm for the larger tools (spray gun, cleaner, drill)
IMG_4672.JPG

Screwed it to the underside of some shelves and it worked nicely. Frees up the shelf they were piled on and provided some degree of protection to dirt/swarf getting into them.
IMG_4676.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

IMG_4678.JPG

Bruce,
Nice arbor . . . but, for future reference and the benefit of others, I think chuck retaining screws are commonly left hand thread. Left hand thread so it tightens as the chuck tries to unscrew from the arbor. I keep a few commercially purchased screws on hand (10-32LH IIRC) for similar projects.
Also, with both threads right hand and both 20 TPI, the retainer won't retain at all beyond the breakaway torque. Oooops. Sorry. :apologize::apologize::apologize:

eBay search = chuck retaining screws
Thanks for the tip, I was wondering about that. Should have backed one off on a cordless drill to verify!

Bruce

Made some simple hangers for my air tools in an attempt to tidy up a bit.
I had some aluminum oval tube left over (was used as coat hanger rails inside of wardrobes) which fitted the bill.
That's absolutely fantastic! Simple, elegant, effective. I plan to copy your technique in the near future. Many thanks for posting.

Made a spring loaded tool length setting accessory for the CNC router.
Mach3 calculates the input and enters the correct offset for the tool length.
I have used a solid plate to touch off on but it is hard on the tool point.

GEDC3298s.jpg

GEDC3302s.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ray

Finally made time to finish a tool holder from the 12 inch blank I cut on the shaper. Picked up this Williams threading tool a while back but didn't have a holder wide enough for it. Tried cutting the shank down but its harder than a mother in laws heart. A carbide insert end mil made sparks.
KIMG0435.jpg

Just sprayed a coat of etching primer on this railing, hope to get a top coat on it tomorrow and get some shop space back.
KIMG0436.jpg

Greg

Back