2017 POTD Thread Archive

Ok, the tooling up continues.
I hated the previous 7/8"x20 arbor for the 2" boring head I made previously, so I gave it another shot. Crs, 1018
20171025_140922.jpg
Next up, I've been purchasing double and single bevel milling cutters thru ebay recently, so I tried to extend my meager skillet, I build a simple little arbor that works nicely with fatter cutters than the standard thin slots and splitters.
20171025_135758.jpg20171025_135640.jpg
Now, I'm off to give all my new toys some quality playtime...

Found this great finish inside a piece of aluminum I was working on ;)

The part itself is nothing dramatic, just a clamping mount for a chip shield I'm playing with, but when I stuck in the little round-nose tool to relieve the centre section the surface finish was just too good to pass up. Some days you just get lucky!

Thanks for looking.

-frank

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Having gotten my grinder under control, with adjustable tool rests, I decided that the dresser method of cleaning the wheels was not accurate enough. I had to have a diamond dresser. I scrounged through several drawers before I found on old one that had attached itself to me when I retired, cobbled together a holder for it. and dressed my rough grinding wheel.

I could be better, it wants to wobble a bit, but through persistence, I got a good dressing on the wheel.

Diamond dresser sm.jpg

Onward to bigger and better projects!

I had ordered some cheap velcro backed sanding discs on ebay.
They came with arbours with a 3mm shank:
orig.jpg

But I want to use them with air tools and my foredom and a 1/4" shank is better.

So I found some steel rod in the bin and made a couple replacement arbours:
replacement1.jpg replacement2.jpg

Ready to go:
installed.jpg

A quick evening project....and one more thing off my list.

-brino

I finally got motivated to set the SBL13 in its semi permanent location. Since June it has been sitting on skates on the tail and temporary levelers on the left side.

Nothing fancy, just aluminum discs for leveling feet, and 5/8 x 18 bolts. Could not find any 5 inch fully threaded bolts, so I just chased the original thread and threaded the length.

One nice surprise the existing holes for mounting levelers are just the right size for me to run the tap.

20171029_151453.jpg20171029_172318.jpg

Before dinner I managed to level and cut on my aluminum test bar. It cut fairly straight.

20171029_151011.jpg20171029_151047.jpg

After dinner I chucked up a SS barrel blank drop and cut a 0.010 turning pass. The stick out is really longer than when I chamber barrel, I just threw it in there just to get me an idea if I were to use this lathe to chamber one of my barrels. Looks like it is good enough for government work.

20171029_190853.jpg
20171029_190916.jpg

Needed a small four jaw for the Summit, the 16 inch will only close to a little over an inch, padding the jaws or chucking a small chuck was getting old. Found an 8 inch Chinese one for $114, figured it can't be too bad, can always grind the jaws if they aren't parallel.
Had a D1-8 backplate I believe from a chuck of some sort. A little rusty but Evaporust and some polishing on the the mounting surface and taper cleaned it up nice.
KIMG0439.jpg

There was a centre boss on the front, the outside face was hardened for 50 thou or so, nice glowing swarf till you broke through.
KIMG0440.jpg
Finished facing it and managed a small boss to locate the chuck of its inside bore. The back is otherwise flat.
KIMG0441.jpg
Once I get them bolted together I'll hold the chuck body in the big four jaw and cut the OD down some. Can't quite get to the dia of the chuck, the pins are about 7 3/4 on the outside, 8 inch wouldn't leave much meat. Couldn't turn the OD when I had it mounted, the spindle flange is about the dia of those outside bolt holes.

Greg

I made a prototype mill handle, because I'm tired of hearing the old ones squeak when you use them, and rattle when you don't.

The body is alluminum that's fitted with two custom mds filled nylon bushings. It rides on a shoulder bolt that mounts in the original hole.

IMG_20171029_224623.jpg

IMG_20171029_224640.jpg

IMG_20171029_224655.jpg

IMG_20171029_224848.jpg

Last edited:
Back