2018 POTD Thread Archive

My order from McMaster Carr arrived yesterday. I ordered some parts for another Jeep bumper that I need to build, this one for a friend, so while was ordering I also ordered a few handles for the receivers in my benches and the transmission fixture I just fabricated.
cbbc2911c8365e07a6c8d3d983895d08.jpg

b1286a102c85bf2e763864f006b49ac5.jpg

I then commenced another project that I have wanted to build for two years now, ever since I purchased my M-K Products weld positioner, an arm support for TIG welding that I can locate on my bench then adjust height and angle for support during the welding process.

The plate scribed and ready to drill some speed holes.
62c588178bf5be2e6f3abf2f203022c1.jpg

Clamped in the drill press drilling speed holes.
cb39d4ed6f7783e915d718963c388fcf.jpg

Gussets will also have speed holes.
9c5665cd923008c5f463af1105b632db.jpg

Machining three 3/8”-16 threaded bungs for locking handles.
0e124c532f3806b5d06c43fe3a1ffdba.jpg

The base is ready to weld together then I can commence fabricating the movable/adjustable section.
b66a5961836a38c2892c163313ac1efb.jpg

Stay tuned..... the remaining components should reveal the what the final product will be soon.

Mike

Wanted to put a DRO on the shaper but even the slim optical scales are too large to fit beside the clapper box. While looking I found a smoking deal from China on a 3 axis to the mill. Think it was $184 and $53 DHL shipping. The Shooting Star DRO I had on the mill used small racks and rotating optical encoders that should fit the shaper.
Installed the new one yesterday.
IMG_3895.jpg
Other than a HUGE read out box the quality seams good, agrees dead on with the dials which the old one did as well.
The Z axis will be nice. Not sure I like the scale on the back of the table, loose some travel, the Shooting Star one was a lot slimmer.
IMG_3896.jpg

The base casting is rounded and tapered where I needed to mount the Z scale. Had a 11/16th counter bore with a replaceable guide. Made a guide to fit the hole I drilled to thread for the 10-32 mounting screw. Used the counterbore in the 1/2 inch drill, worked like a charm.
IMG_3894.jpg

Now to modernize the shaper.

Not sure I like the scale on the back of the table, loose some travel, the Shooting Star one was a lot slimmer.

Why not put it on the front of the table, that's where I always installed them. Also I'm a big fan of magnetic scales, much smaller.

Why not put it on the front of the table, that's where I always installed them. Also I'm a big fan of magnetic scales, much smaller.
I think it may get moved out there Jim. I'd loose the limit switches for the power feed, but I've never needed them in the 15 years I've had the mill.
I looked for the magnetic scales but couldn't come up with any package deals direct from China.

Greg

I looked for the magnetic scales but couldn't come up with any package deals direct from China.

Wish I would have noticed you were looking, I put Ditron units on my lathe. Working fine for me.

Not todays work but recently made this indicator holder, I wanted it compact and also with the gauge to be reversible and mounted in the other position for use when facing.

Made on my shaper, with gauge pocket cut on lathe cross slide with a boring bar in the chuck, for ease I've now changed the hex nut for a wing nut.

No room or need for any adjustment the ally strip works fine..

dial holder 1.JPG

Dial holder 2.JPG

Bernard

Been playing around with my little borescope camera. 5.5mm diameter, 640x480 resolution
https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-5mm-6LED...hash=item5d733cb95e:m:mOgDsanPUhs9eV6rVP4mu3A

Set it up on mill for live streaming. Now I can sit in the comfort of my office chair and watch my machine run. Next step is the remote E-stop.

1515272280219.png

Here is a live stream video of it running. Just ''cutting'' air, the tool is about 2 inches above the table.
This live stream will only be up for a couple of hours or so. What is really cool, is my software will stream live video AND run a CNC program at the same time.....Try that with Mach3 or any other CNC software ;)

Edit: the live stream has now ended. This has got to be the most boring CNC video ever produced. :faint:

Last edited:
I think it may get moved out there Jim. I'd loose the limit switches for the power feed, but I've never needed them in the 15 years I've had the mill.

Greg
Hi Greg,

I mounted the X-scale on the front of my Jet JVM-830 mill and spaced the scale out a bit from the table so I kept my power feed limit switches. You may be able to do the same.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce. I'll see if I can can get it to fit, the switch and stops are fairly clunky, think I would need to space it out a fair bit.

Greg

Back