2018 POTD Thread Archive

See this video :
around the 30 minute mark he is drilling the wheel. You don't go all the way through, you just dimple it with a masonry bit. Make sure it's sharp so you are not putting to much pressure on it. Worked great. And of course ring it when you are done. I'll get pics tonight.. But I'm not taking the wheels off again. I used my surface plate, 123 blocks, and some L's I had to raise the hub. I also used a hand drill and a piece of cardboard to support the wheel. mine were not for a surface grinder so I did not have a hub mounted.
Very informative, not what I had in mind at all. Thanks for learning me!

It worked.
Dialing in the part.
IMG_3985.jpg
The hub mystery metal with some hard spots in it. Could only take about a thou cut at a time.

IMG_3986.jpg

I usually hold the part in a big V block I built. Tried the vice this time, was a bugger to get measurements. Will be back to the V block on future ones.

IMG_3987.jpg

Greg

Drill the grinding wheel itself? I would have thought that it would weaken the wheel and could lead to failure. Any picts of how you did yours?

You are correct, drilling the side of a grinding wheel could weaken or damage the wheel and yes drilling the side of a wheel would increase the probability of failure of the wheel. Doing this in the workplace would also expose the employer to citations from OSHA. OSHA would reference the ANSI standard for grinding wheels to write their citation.

This is just a really really bad idea. This is not a safe thing to do with a grinding wheel either. Clearly there is something wrong with this idea. You can no longer view this video, it has been removed!

Last edited:
I doubt this comment will be allowed to remain either but time will tell.

Buck, I have nothing to do with the management of this site, but here's my thoughts.

I agree with the decision to remove your earlier post. Here's why:
That post came off like a personal attack on one member. I don't remember the exact language used, but when I saw it I thought your comments were unfair. They did NOT contain facts, but just an opinion that was given in a demeaning way. Contrary to your phrasing "criticism of the practice" it was a blatant put-down of an individual member of this site.

It is up to the wisdom of the user/reader to do their own "due diligence" on any matter of machining safety and come to their own conclusions as to risk. I sharpen drill bits on the side of a grinding wheel (gasp!), with a store-bought jig that was designed for and documented to be used that way. Some people here cringe and dispute the safety of the method, and that is their right. But they do so in a cordial way, and I appreciate their comments.

However, your new post (#11026 in this thread) is better.....
You make no personal attacks.
You do mention OSHA and ANSI specifications and standards as places to do some research.
You use more appropriate language like "increase the probability of failure of the wheel".
Although it could be argued that you still present a demeaning attitude towards the site and its management.

-brino

well all the comments have been lost, looks like we rolled the db that we are stored on to the previous day. I imagine there was a problem (saw the system down) and the last backup was the previous day. I'm curious what db is behind the app.

Thank you Brino, I took it as a personal attack, but took the high road. I really don't care about opinions. There are safe, unsafe, and things that have been told are unsafe, but w/o actual backing. In this case, I determined that as long as it rings, it's good. The wheel did not crack, because I didn't put weight into the drilling. Stan in the video does a lot of surface grinding, A LOT. I had no stress riser, since the dimples were round and no sharp edges. I felt that it was worth going forward.
There are times you have to dispense with conventional wisdom to try to move things forward.

Back