POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Espresso machine lever was rough... I have taken it apart several times to polish the main lever cam shaft... replaced all valves... and it would be smooth for a few shots and get rough again...

27666_rocket_rebuild_kit_hb7955HK.jpg

Well, today I decided to figure out what the problem was. Turns out it was a simple fix. This stud, that the lever rides against, had some raised areas around the slot for the screwdriver... seems the previous owner was not careful when installing.

Removed it, filed down the raised areas... placed it on the lathe and use some fine sandpaper to smooth it out. Finished with a 3000 grit then to the polishing wheel... Also took the time to polished the lever cam shaft again...

IMG_3933.jpeg

All working fine now... I will be able to confirm if I found the culprit if it continues to work smoothly for the rest of the week...

IMG_3934.jpeg

IMG_3935.jpeg

Last edited:
My outdoor Christmas tree had several strands of lights that didn't work. You know the ones if one bulb goes out they all go out and I never can seem to find the bad bulb.
So this year when I took the tree down I decided to replace all the lights with new LED bulbs that won't go out if some are bad.

That's 600 bulbs and 250 wire ties and I am worn out so maybe next year they will all work.

IMG_20220102_101201025.jpg

Thanks for looking
Ray

My outdoor Christmas tree had several strands of lights that didn't work. You know the ones if one bulb goes out they all go out and I never can seem to find the bad bulb.
So this year when I took the tree down I decided to replace all the lights with new LED bulbs that won't go out if some are bad.

That's 600 bulbs and 250 wire ties and I am worn out so maybe next year they will all work.

View attachment 390610

Thanks for looking
Ray
you didn't just buy a new light strand, you manually replaced the bulbs???:xmaslights:

Made this for a friend…he wants to be able to strap a base to a tree and mount a winch… Not my idea. Found the idea on YouTube…

Winch base comes out and can also be use on any hitch…

ADF38A37-0064-47D5-A356-07020AF96DE3.jpeg

Holes were made based on a template he sent me… winch base should fit those…

AE8521FB-EA75-49E7-A401-4419AF39232E.jpeg
Welds are ugly as heck… it has been years since I have used a welder…. But they should hold fine…

Last edited:
This is what i did in the shop today. Also posted the 2 endmill drawers that were finished friday. One drawer is all HSS and the other is all carbide or roughing tools.
579CE243-E202-4947-A80F-6D5F1CDFF6EB.jpegD5583AFE-BE1B-4616-9B81-3D63073C98CB.jpeg6AA63AF3-8253-4F18-9F42-77E39D852AB2.jpeg
Anybody have an idea what all these little cutters would be for? I have soooo many i could swim in them. Sharpie for size comparison.A2C2FED9-115B-4AA2-AC0A-1229D6E71744.jpeg

Also i am looking to see if anyone has any palmgren vises around? I have a swivel base for one.

64B58386-04CA-4C2B-B0EB-9F405A695E90.jpeg

Made this for a friend…he wants to be able to strap a base to a tree and mount a winch… Not my idea. Found the idea on YouTube…

@wachuko

I know it is NOT your video, and I don't want to be a safety nazi here........ but..........<sigh>....

I have never seen ratchet straps rated anywhere near the rating of that winch (even if that could be believed!)
Certainly not common straps of that width.

The rope used in the video is also questionable, and the wrong rope can hold so much elastic energy it's just not worth the risk!

I like the concept, but why not use a tree strap around the tree for less damage to the bark?
https://www.amazon.com/winch-tree-straps/s?k=winch+tree+straps

okay some positives:
-your welds are definitely not the weak link,
-I like the idea of a cooler for storage; it's a nice strong box that the bottom won't drop out of.

Of course, my current mindset is for building a trailer hitch for the back half of my old pickup truck, so maybe I'm over-engineering this..... but that is my preference....

Be safe (........and be sure your friend is too!)
Brian

Last edited:
@wachuko

I know it is NOT your video, and I don't want to be a safety nazi here........ but..........<sigh>....

I have never seen ratchet straps rated anywhere near the rating of that winch (even if that could be believed!)
Certainly not common straps of that width.

The rope used in the video is also questionable, and the wrong rope can hold so much elastic energy it's just not worth the risk!

I like the concept, but why not use a tree strap around the tree for less damage to the bark?
https://www.amazon.com/winch-tree-straps/s?k=winch+tree+straps

okay some positives:
-your welds are definitely not the weak link,
-I like the idea if a cooler for storage; it's a nice strong box that the bottom won't drop out of.

Of course, my current mindset is for building a trailer hitch for the back half of my old pickup truck, so maybe I'm over-engineering this..... but that is my preference....

Be safe (........and be sure your friend is too!)
Brian
Very valid points. And I rather you call those out. Thank you for doing so.

My friend will be using 2 - 2" straps rated at 3,300 lbs each. No way he will be using the straps you see in that video...

Good point on the rope. He is using what the winch comes with. The distance he needs this for is within the length of what the winch has. No additional rope will be used. All good there.

Not sure that he will go for a tree strap... he will need this secured well to the tree. It is in his backyard...

Yesterday I took apart most of an Albrecht keyless chuck I got in a deal. I got it to where I could not figure out how to get the bolt head that lifts the jaws out from the jaw guide cage. So in disgust I made it into an ashtray. Overnight, it occurred to me how it must work, and today I finished the project, and made an ashtray into a really nice Albrecht chuck. Wow, is it smooth!

Back