POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

So now I have to use it on the right side... Or make new jaws... Or make the slot on both sides... or.... or....

I agree with [mention]woodchucker [/mention] it looks great. I wouldn’t worry about the extra hole or slot. You may make it reversible so it could work from lady or right, down the road.

@JimDawson

They need serious pick-ups in AK. Looking good.

So, the long doors come off with the quick release hinge pins (from the other thread)?
How are the rear-most corner bits mounted to the bed? What I'm wondering is whether or not it's easy to return it to a flat bed when the camper is off.

The corners are screwed down to the bed. While it can be returned to a complete flat bed, it does require a bit of work, maybe about 10 minutes or so.

The full boxes we sell have 4 bolts that are screwed into rivet nuts installed in the bed. Those boxes have handles on either end so 2 adults can lift them off.

We're working on a ''universal'' tailgate to use when needed. Not sure what that is going to look like, but it will be light duty and easily removable.

Nothing particularly impressive, but I finally got round to organizing my countersinks and counterbores as I picked up quite a few new ones in that auction lotIMG_20220604_162759.jpgIMG_20220604_193700.jpggot a few bits of that countertop left so I'll do the same for a few other bits'n'pieces today

Put the drawer handles on and made the top for the mill base.
Very pleased with how this came together.
6eccbc40eca5590996f67a6c5fb8149c.jpg

7909ceb4bc1c28fc7b4b1b8abf1d35a6.jpg

Put the drawer handles on and made the top for the mill base.
Very pleased with how this came together.
6eccbc40eca5590996f67a6c5fb8149c.jpg

7909ceb4bc1c28fc7b4b1b8abf1d35a6.jpg

Looks real good! I like your little plastic containers, where did you get those at?

What do you guys buy, what type of material, that does not require so much work? For example, this one is A36 - bought a 12" long piece. 1"x1-1/4"... But nothing is straight...

IMG_6134.jpeg

This is taking .0300" off that side and I stopped

IMG_6135.jpeg

So after taking the least amount of material to get it straight... my 1.5"x1"x1.25" ends up being 1.5"x0.99"x1.21" and still you can see areas that are deeper... I just did not wanted to continue removing material...

IMG_6137.jpeg
IMG_6138.jpeg
IMG_6136.jpeg

For this vise block base project, doubt it would be an issue... but for work that requires more precision, do you buy material that is made to exact dimensions or every time you have to buy larger and machine to specificiations? I am talking about common sizes 1"x1.25" in this case, for example....

If, for other projects, I can buy material that does not require machining in its W and H (length I know I have to cut to size)... that would be much, much better that wasting material machining down to size... Makes sense??

Anywho... made the holes...

IMG_6139.jpeg

Last edited:
What do you guys buy, what type of material, that does not require so much work? For example, this one is A36 - bought a 12" long piece. 1"x1-1/4"... But nothing is straight...

View attachment 409270

This is taking .0300" off that side and I stopped

View attachment 409271

So after taking the least amount of material to get it straight... my 1.5"x1"x1.25" ends up being 1.5"x0.99"x1.21" and still you can see areas that are deeper... I just did not wanted to continue removing material...

View attachment 409272
View attachment 409273
View attachment 409274

For this vise block base project, doubt it would be an issue... but for work that requires more precision, do you buy material that is made to exact dimensions or every time you have to buy larger and machine to specificiations? I am talking about common sizes 1"x1.25" in this case, for example....

If, for other projects, I can buy material that does not require machining in its W and H (length I know I have to cut to size)... that would be much, much better that wasting material machining down to size... Makes sense??
When I need something precise I order tight tolerance stock. Costs more but avoids what you're having to do.

John

Back