POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Yep you need air. I use Kool mist 77. I use a 2 liter bottle with a bracket holding it on the side of my grinder.

Would a mister be enough to cut stones on a grinder or do you need flood coolant. I dont have air yet should be working on it more this summer. However it isnt going to be a big capacity so idk if air would work the greatest for me or not.

I'm sure the paint job is great. However I can't keep my eyes off of your bridge crane. :p
They sure make life a lot easier. Not heavy duty, I rated them for 1000 pounds. The tracks are simply lag bolted to the upstairs floor joists. The machinery handbook actually has the pull rating for lag bolts into different species of wood. The one over the machinery makes changing lathe chucks doable, and indispensable for loading large stock on the lathe and mill.
IMG_1870.JPG

The shop sure was a lot whiter back when I took that photo, lol

Greg

I had a paying gig come thru the shop. This is an auger drive shaft. 2 7/16" diameter precision ground 1045. Two 21/32" holes thru 90 degrees apart. I do a lot of work with this 2 7/16" shaft so I made up the cradles and indexing system shown. This particular job also had a 5/8" key-way. That is a big ask for my "delicate" mill/drill. Even a 50 thou pass was shivering the timbers of the old Wrong Fu.20220609_201616.jpg

The engine mount in my car mysteriously had two broken bolts connecting it to the engine and the captive nut in the body was missing where the bolt secured the mount on the other side. I removed the two broken pieces with a left-hand drill bit, silver soldered into an extension:
dfabc8208b664cda3c3c7cc6a0e23d3b.jpg

And for the missing captive nut, I made a plate to sit between two tabs on the back side of the hole, TIG brazed a nut to it, and epoxied it in place, using a string to pull it in and hold it while the epoxy cured:
33e71d79b1bdea62335502a70d90e9d9.jpg

0af256d86af911d862a508ee8888b685.jpg

The ridge on the nut plate was to center it in the hole and prevent epoxy from seeping into the threads. It appears to have been successful; I’ll be reassembling everything today.

Would a mister be enough to cut stones on a grinder or do you need flood coolant. I dont have air yet should be working on it more this summer. However it isnt going to be a big capacity so idk if air would work the greatest for me or not.
well no, a mister is not really recommended. I had flood coolant running, but it was a disaster., I made my own aluminum pan to collect things. But I could not find a suitable drain so I machined one.. it did not work, I then created a T bar out of copper for air to enter, it was better, but not great, The coolant was overloading the drain. dialing it back was not working.

So I went the mist route, which is how I was doing things before the flood coolant.I was using a spray bottle. There is a big difference between finish when dry grinding and wet grinding. Wet is much finer. I believe because it keeps it cooler, and lubes it. I could use wax on the wheels, but I am doing the mist. When I find copper or brass plate at a reasonable price, I will remake the pan and solder in a big drain. I'll make a sub pan for the drain to drain into with another drain, that way the drain hose is not moving back and forth.

Yea I use Kool mist 77.

Yesterday I got 2 of the saws out to the front of the garage . Once again , had to move everything to unbury them . I should start up a company and name it Rusty and Dusty Relics . I made one cut on the table saw on a cedar board and of COURSE the wind blew all the sawdust back into the garage . :burned up: I need to have the door moved away from the prevailing winds . One more radial arm saw to come up from the other basement and all saws will be here . Another days project . :encourage:

well no, a mister is not really recommended. I had flood coolant running, but it was a disaster., I made my own aluminum pan to collect things. But I could not find a suitable drain so I machined one.. it did not work, I then created a T bar out of copper for air to enter, it was better, but not great, The coolant was overloading the drain. dialing it back was not working.

So I went the mist route, which is how I was doing things before the flood coolant.I was using a spray bottle. There is a big difference between finish when dry grinding and wet grinding. Wet is much finer. I believe because it keeps it cooler, and lubes it. I could use wax on the wheels, but I am doing the mist. When I find copper or brass plate at a reasonable price, I will remake the pan and solder in a big drain. I'll make a sub pan for the drain to drain into with another drain, that way the drain hose is not moving back and forth.

Yea I use Kool mist 77.
My grinder has a hole for the coolant to go as well but that is going to be a mess. Id like to find the bases the bolt onto these tables but idk where to goto even find them. For the mill i think the end caps would be good if i wanted coolant.

Long forgotten things you find in gardens . Already made . :grin:

Pit beef rods , unfinished wind chime project , un-known camp things . Gotta love good stainless for not rusting for years and years .

Attachments

• IMG_9254.JPG
    IMG_9254.JPG
    518 KB · Views: 16
Back