POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Another bucket emptied on the garage floor . Pic to come . Lots of good lathe tools etc . in there . What I'm planning .......take them down the basement and arrange everything together that goes together , then sell the piles as lots . This next bucket will be a nut buster ! :eek: Making progress slowly but surely . Oh , and scrap some stuff out , not burying anything any more ! :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_9255.JPG
    IMG_9255.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_9256.JPG
    IMG_9256.JPG
    744.6 KB · Views: 29
Couple ( 1000 ) more drills and reamers to add to the basement pile . I'm starting to hate buckets . :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_9257.JPG
    IMG_9257.JPG
    561.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9258.JPG
    IMG_9258.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9259.JPG
    IMG_9259.JPG
    324.9 KB · Views: 22
I have to clean my shop like this. I can barely walk in there right now.

well, I finished my powerfeed install with the final piece of the puzzle.
My table lock didn't quite fit anymore.
I toyed with making a regular handle fatter on the end then the middle like the original. But opted for the type I put on my quill lock.
Overall, I'm happy with it. I wish the bluing came out blacker, like the original, but it looks good with the constrast, at least my opinion.
20220611_125124.jpg20220611_125130.jpg20220611_125106.jpg

Again a small project round the homestead. My mower was getting very noisy when I engaged the blades, so I dropped the deck to take a look. I checked the spindles which were quiet when spinning. I had rebuilt all 3 of them a few years back and they were still fine. I found the noise in the belt tensioner idler wheel. I proceeded to find one locally and online and there were so many variations it got ridiculous.
I did find a bearing but the pulley was two halves spot welded together to hold the bearing. So I took it to the lathe and carefully cut off the part that holds the bearing on one side to get it out. I did not want to drill the spotwelds and have to try to get the two halves to run true again. I recessed the bearing hole in the pulley a little deeper to make up for the material I had cut away on the other side. I then installed the bearing and carefully welded the retainer back on. It was a case of spot weld a little, let it cool, and repeat so as not to cook the new bearing seal. After the welding was done I chucked it back up in the lathe to smooth out my embarrassing looking welds.

As is my norm, I have no before or during shots, but here is shot of the completed project. All in all it cost me a bearing and a little time and it was completed in a mornings work/play. I wonder what the rest of the world does when stuff breaks and you can't get replacement parts easy.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1039.JPG
    IMG_1039.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1041.JPG
    IMG_1041.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 13
Made another couples of organizers for my mill tooling, though realized afterwards that I'd forgotten holes for some boring bars :)IMG_20220606_161809.jpg and today, instead of sitting through tooling for people like I said I would, a friend came round with a set of drums off a Fairlane 500 (Torino) that needed cleaning up. Too big for my SB9 by far and almost too big for my mill. Got to use my new boring head with a 3/4" solid carbide bar. Took a while but they came out ok and my friend was happy!IMG_20220611_133412.jpgIMG_20220611_150425.jpg

Before dinner I hopped downstairs and decided to create a bunch of arbors for my collets.
when I made the handle for the table lock in #6666 above, I took a drop, drilled /threaded it for 10-32 so I could hold the part in my collet while machining it. I have made a bunch of these over the years and just toss em when done. well b4 dinner I said enough of that. I realized just put another size on the other end so I put 10-24, then I grabbed another small drop and made 8-32 and 6-32.. next time I'm in the shop I'll make 1/4 -20, 5/16-18 and 3/8-16.. I'll make a block of wood to put them in so I don't keep making the same thing over and over.

should have done this long ago.

Back