POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

What kits from Hemmingway did you get? Ive debated the rotary broach. I have seen the acute sharpening system but now that i have a surface grinder i feel i dont need that anymore. Im good using my hands making cutters but im going to make Mr. Petes south bend cutter blocks he just did on YouTube and use them on the surface grinder bc why not!
I made the rotary broach kit maybe a year or so ago.

Really nice little kit to make. Pretty darn easy.

The kit came with a rod of O1 for making cutters, but I bought some round HSS to do the job. I’m sure O1 would have been fine too.

I make up my cutters on my D-Bit grinder. Works awesome.

Definitely at my age (62+) not the POTD; project of a couple of months. I'm calling "Woodfest 2022" officially completed. We have 2 heat-a-lator fireplaces to supplement our geothermal/propane furnace. If we're diligent stoking fires, we'll burn 9 full cords in the fall/winter/spring. I typically have 95% of it cut by February but was way off schedule taking care of my mom.

Bruce

16' x 6' (1 full cord) in the garage
20220612_095818.jpg

2 racks under the back deck at the walkout basement: 8' x 5' and 8' x 7' for another full cord
20220611_104427.jpg

3 sections at 8' x 8' x 3 sections deep and 2 sections at 16' x 8': 10 full cords
20220612_110418.jpg

Fortunately, I'm still (of course, I have now jinxed myself) not allergic to poison ivy. Problem with spring cutting of wood is it grows in abundance in our woods.
20220611_102611.jpg

Converted the Mopar Electronic ignition to GM HEI. Still need to replace the coil and remove the ballast resistor when that happens. So it is a hybrid system currently. Not much of a job, took a piece of aluminum 1/4” flat stock and drilled an assortment of 8x32 holes for the heatsink and ground strap and a couple 1/4” through holes for the hold down bolts. Will put some dielectric grease on the terminals and rubber sleeves to make it pretty.
Pierre222FCAF8-A953-4722-BE3A-D80AF25CEC2A.jpeg

Definitely at my age (62+) not the POTD; project of a couple of months. I'm calling "Woodfest 2022" officially completed. We have 2 heat-a-lator fireplaces to supplement our geothermal/propane furnace. If we're diligent stoking fires, we'll burn 9 full cords in the fall/winter/spring. I typically have 95% of it cut by February but was way off schedule taking care of my mom.

Bruce

16' x 6' (1 full cord) in the garage
View attachment 409852

2 racks under the back deck at the walkout basement: 8' x 5' and 8' x 7' for another full cord
View attachment 409853

3 sections at 8' x 8' x 3 sections deep and 2 sections at 16' x 8': 10 full cords
View attachment 409854

Fortunately, I'm still (of course, I have now jinxed myself) not allergic to poison ivy. Problem with spring cutting of wood is it grows in abundance in our woods.
View attachment 409855
Bruce,

Don't you worry about termites with those so close to the house? Or they go so fast that it is not something to worry about?

Look!! No drill bits! All roll pins in place.

IMG_6250.jpeg

And photos of the securing block... bottom section has the 1 degree cut...

IMG_6252.jpeg
IMG_6251.jpeg

EDIT: Added (T) Top, (B) Bottom, and arrow mark to the blocks to make it easy to setup if these come apart...

IMG_6266.jpeg

So yeah, now all I need to finish it are the locking handles... will work on that later... At least I can use it with those bolts.
IMG_6277.jpeg
IMG_6269.jpeg

Last edited:
Bruce,

Don't you worry about termites with those so close to the house? Or they go so fast that it is not something to worry about?
Never seen one around here, but good point. We usually burn about a face cord a week; turn it over a little quicker than I'd like (means I have to cut more).

Bruce

Bruce . There's not a better feeling than out working with firewood . One of my favorite pasttimes . :encourage:

Back