POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Nice! I really like the looks of the coffee table. You need some jumbo sized plastic monkeys to store in there now..;)
Never worked with butternut, I don’t think it ever saw it for sale around here. Supposed to be nice for carving, I didn’t realize it had become a protected species now. Makes a great compliment to the oak barrel.

-frank

Thanks Frank, the monkeys are a great idea. On the same line as my skeleton in the closet.
IMG_4549.jpeg
Which coincidentally is on a Butter Nut door.
An old friend of mine has a large bush lot, he would tell me if a Butter Nut tree went down in the wind. Ended up with about a 1000 board feet of it in the shed. Not hard, but a lovely wood to work with and a gorgeous aroma in the shop.

Greg

I made up a little 3/8" square lathe tool bit holder for my Kuhlmann (Deckel-type) single-lip cutter grinder.

For my current project, I'm needing to put a nice radius on the back side of some SS valves. The cutter grinder is much more capable of grinding a smooth curve than I am over at the bench grinder.

I had some nice pre-hard material (4140 maybe?) on hand in the right size, so that's what I used.

1642562595102.jpeg

1642562610026.jpeg

1642562630074.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Frank, the monkeys are a great idea. On the same line as my skeleton in the closet.
View attachment 392824
Which coincidentally is on a Butter Nut door.
An old friend of mine has a large bush lot, he would tell me if a Butter Nut tree went down in the wind. Ended up with about a 1000 board feet of it in the shed. Not hard, but a lovely wood to work with and a gorgeous aroma in the shop.

Greg
Very much like Walnut. I have not had the pleasure of having a large amount. I thought the door was cherry when I first saw it. Nice.
what did you finish the door with?

Been too long ago to remember for sure, but probably, Tung oil, then hand rubbed spar varnish. Made all the interior doors for the house in one go.
My cheap camera buggers the colours at times, its more of a brown than red,
Far softer than Walnut

Greg

Been too long ago to remember for sure, but probably, Tung oil, then hand rubbed spar varnish. Made all the interior doors for the house in one go.
My cheap camera buggers the colours at times, its more of a brown than red,
Far softer than Walnut

Greg
it looks brown, it just has a cherry look. I have a bunch of cherry, that looks brown, it ages that way. Some of it ages more red. I guess it depends on how much sun it gets.

Your tables are great looking. I've always appreciated your work. Always top notch.

I made a little aluminum v-block with a center pocket to align parts for welding:
6c5ade36c0bda543d3fe37b7c2847a78.jpg

I made up a little 3/8" square lathe tool bit holder for my Kuhlann (Deckel-type) single-lip cutter grinder.

For my current project, I'm needing to put a nice radius on the back side of some SS valves. The cutter grinder is much more capable of grinding a smooth curve than I am over at the bench grinder.

I had some nice pre-hard material (4140 maybe?) on hand in the right size, so that's what I used.

View attachment 392825

Very nice. Being kind of new at this, may I ask for a brief description of your order of operations or how you did that? I am guessing turning the outside diameter first, then splitting it somehow? Slitting saw? How would you hold it? But then to mill the tool slot, again, how would you hold it? Or did you start with a longer piece, thereby having an area to clamp, and only cut to length when all other operations were complete? Or, typing as I am thinking, cutting the square hole into the round stock with a rotary broach, then splitting it after? Or a variation of those?

Thanks
Shawn

Very nice. Being kind of new at this, may I ask for a brief description of your order of operations or how you did that? I am guessing turning the outside diameter first, then splitting it somehow? Slitting saw? How would you hold it? But then to mill the tool slot, again, how would you hold it? Or did you start with a longer piece, thereby having an area to clamp, and only cut to length when all other operations were complete? Or, typing as I am thinking, cutting the square hole into the round stock with a rotary broach, then splitting it after? Or a variation of those?

Thanks
Shawn
Yup, order of operations was the hard part.

I actually made up each half individually:

1) Turn up a blank to the correct diameter in the lathe
2) Clamp it in a mill vise end-wise. I could only grab it by the bottom ~100 thou because so much meat would be coming off of it
3) Use an endmill to lop off the top half of the blank (+30 thou to achieve the gap between the halves)
4) Use a smaller endmill to mill out the slot for the 3/8" blank
5) Clean up / debur
6) Repeat steps 1 - 6 for another blank to get the other half
7) Back to the lathe with both halves and a 3/8 cutting blank, I chucked it up and cleaned it up to length on both ends

I would have preferred if the square slot was rotated 45* with respect to each half, but that would have gotten even more complicated to grab onto. I'm sure this will work just fine.

Back