POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Today was one of the coldest day of the year, but the ground is still warm and my garage is almost entry in ground so i could continue working. So after work i got straight to pulling the engine out of the scenic. Or in other words pulling the scenic off the engine. It did not go as smooth, passenger side rear bolt was stuck so i had to cut off the head and it still would not let go I struggle with it for 2 hours but finally it let go. Then i had to lift and wheel away the body, before my back injury i used to do it by hand but now i used my floor jack and a piece of wood. As sketchy as it looks it felt even worse, but i managed to do it with no misheps. I chose to do it this way because it has been design to be removed this way the chassis legs are narrower than the engine and box also the hood is very small opening. And in typical french fashion the engine is not bolted to the body only to the front subframe. I'm curious to see what let go in this engine.
IMG_20220124_112157.jpgIMG_20220123_155140.jpgIMG_20220123_162634.jpgIMG_20220124_112136.jpgIMG_20220124_112144.jpgIMG_20220124_114302.jpg

Wow that was a lot of work. I think the auto makers try and make repairs as hard as they can. So we have to go back to them.

I use a Snowcaster for less than 3 inch snow. It is great. Just pushing and no lifting.

For less than about 10" of snow, we just drive over it! Of course with the rental unit and the long driveways we're clearing nearly 25,000 sq ft (Had to measure it in google earth, was curious). Of course being in a snow belt, we get around 300" per winter. Which means moving 625,000 cu-ft of snow per year.

I guess I should get around to rebuilding that worn out $700 gear box from the front of my blower as a spare... OK, stop this! You guys are depressing me!

Sometimes you wonder about car designers. I work on imported cars for a living and some just defy logic and wisdom, like having to pull the engine and transmission assembly out the bottom on some Tourags just to change the alternator or starter. Sure they made it come out fairly easily but still it is a 10 hour job. On the starter replacement you have to remove the exhaust manifold and loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine partly out of the removed subframe to get the starter out.

The common comment is that they should make the engineers work on the thing before they release it to the public. Maybe they would change a couple things to make it easier if they could see the whole picture.

Sometimes you wonder about car designers. I work on imported cars for a living and some just defy logic and wisdom, like having to pull the engine and transmission assembly out the bottom on some Tourags just to change the alternator or starter. Sure they made it come out fairly easily but still it is a 10 hour job. On the starter replacement you have to remove the exhaust manifold and loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine partly out of the removed subframe to get the starter out.

The common comment is that they should make the engineers work on the thing before they release it to the public. Maybe they would change a couple things to make it easier if they could see the whole picture.
well they are trying to squeeze 100lbs of **** into a 5lb bag.

NO WAY!!!!
REALLY!!!!
Yep, no joke. I am currently working on one that the rear brake line rusted through above the rear axle. I am not removing the body but I have dropped the exhaust to access the heat shields that the brake line is behind so I can find a good spot to cut the existing line and patch a new line onto.

Back