POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Ok, that was better, That was a nice build..

now we want to scrap your build, and show us your shop...
And just a nice walk through the shop, showing us your cool setups.
Can you set up a remote cam for us to control the camera too ? :p
Thanks for the kind words!

I'm so very ignorant of how to do video stuff that I cringe at the very idea of setting up aremote cam ... PLUS I imagine it would become a golden opportunity for hackers and/or thieves ...
.. not to mention that everybody here would see all my failures, false starts, goofs and blunders. If I can get hold of a good video rig and editing software, I might nevertheless do a "shop tour" one of these days.

Last edited:
Made a 3D printed spindle lock for my Grayson lathe.
I discovered how useful this might be the other day. I had to really tighten my collet draw bar as a part kept slipping. As I was trying to drill it kept getting pushed in. I have a spanner for my draw bar so I tightened down pretty good. Afterwards, I could not get the collet adapter off with the nose protector. Rather than drive it out with a rod, I took my bull gear guard off, and wedged a piece of wood between the bull and casting. It worked well. No broken teeth on the gear, so I am a convert to the idea that the plastic gear might be a good idea.

@hman

Nice proof of concept model.

From a marketing point of view, that controller box needs to be out of sight. I mean under the table, with a skirt around the table.
The pet door is a very simple (nonelectronic) device and seeing that controller box will give exactly the wrong impression to potential customers.

After letting this car sit for two days with its engine out it did not change by it self. To be honest i was busy at work, but today i had an hour or two to spare so i decided to take apart the old engine it needs to come apart so be stored and it will be easier to move when is in pieces. Started with the intake manifold, than the belts, sensors, brackets. Took the rocker cover off, its dirty but no broken valves, took off the 10 head bolts and the cylinder head came off. Can you see the problem one piston is higher than the others. Then i moved things around and got my engine crank out and picked the lump out of the subframe. On the ground i took off the pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel, then the oil pan and pump come out and i found the problem. One Rod bolt nut has come loose and it was driven like that so the rod bearing and crank got destroyed. Now i need to dig out a fresh K series engine to take its place, i have two of them in the garage but they are at the bottom of the pile.
IMG_20220124_112129.jpgIMG_20220124_170831.jpgIMG_20220124_174932.jpgIMG_20220124_182801.jpgIMG_20220124_182804.jpgIMG_20220124_182813.jpgIMG_20220124_183423.jpg

Today i spent 3 hours organising cleaning my spare parts just to get to my spare engines. I managed to get the engine out it has 136 000 km on it the other spare i have has even less under 100k but i need a full day of clearing just to get it out so this one will do. Other than the dust and the rust on the flywheel its clean. Few hours a day i should have it driving by the end of the month.
IMG_20220125_195927.jpgIMG_20220125_195936.jpgIMG_20220125_195944.jpg

Today i spent 3 hours organising cleaning my spare parts just to get to my spare engines. I managed to get the engine out it has 136 000 km on it the other spare i have has even less under 100k but i need a full day of clearing just to get it out so this one will do. Other than the dust and the rust on the flywheel its clean. Few hours a day i should have it driving by the end of the month.
View attachment 394046View attachment 394047View attachment 394048

I think I would just buy a new car............... :p

Today, i spent couple of hours working on the scenic. The new to this car engine got a new timing belt, it's valves adjust the clutch refited and got installed in the subframe. Just before refilling it the subframe also got its axle clean repacked with grease new boot fitted on the passenger side. I also drain the oil from the engine, installed a new oil filter mounted the power steering tighten its belt installed the original silver valve cover and then found the exhaust has a broken off stud. I don't remember this but now i have to deal with it. At This point i stopped i need to get some sleep.
IMG_20220127_150218.jpgIMG_20220127_150223.jpgIMG_20220127_150230.jpg

I have a stainless steel lab table that had adjustable height feet but no casters. And I had 4 left over casters from some other project, thought I would make an adapter to have adjustable casters.

The feet screwed in with a non-standard 13 TPI thread, but about a 0.760 screw diameter. I made 4 steel adapters with a 13 TPI thread on one end and drilled and tapped on the other for a normal 3/8-16 matching the caster screw. But to cut the threads, my lathe needed a gear change…13 TPI is the only omission from the QCGB, naturally.

It worked, but was messy…hope not to need to do that again for awhile. A plus was using the Procunier tapping head for the caster threads, those spiral flute taps are terrific.AAA252D6-E083-4EEF-97E1-B2EEB2F5179B.jpeg

Didn't want to start anything big today, so fixed a problem that has been plaguing me for a long time.
I had a carriage stop that required me to remove the screw to fit it on. So it was annoying.. I made a dial indicator holder for the carriage a while back after getting annoyed with the magnetic one moving on me. When I made that one, I made it so I don't have to remove the screw or even back it out .. So I was going to do the same to my carriage stop when I said, nah, just modify it.

So I did. No new metal was hurt in the process ;)

20211216_232639.jpg20220129_143656.jpg20211216_232618_2.jpg

Back