POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I have a stainless steel lab table that had adjustable height feet but no casters. And I had 4 left over casters from some other project, thought I would make an adapter to have adjustable casters.

The feet screwed in with a non-standard 13 TPI thread, but about a 0.760 screw diameter. I made 4 steel adapters with a 13 TPI thread on one end and drilled and tapped on the other for a normal 3/8-16 matching the caster screw. But to cut the threads, my lathe needed a gear change…13 TPI is the only omission from the QCGB, naturally.

It worked, but was messy…hope not to need to do that again for awhile. A plus was using the Procunier tapping head for the caster threads, those spiral flute taps are terrific.View attachment 394190
how could they eliminate 13... 1/2 - 13 common??? Is that the Takisawa?

just went down to the shop, and found my radius bits for the lathe. Not all, but the small ones I have been looking for. Damn, right in front of me, but I was looking for a bright and shinny cutter, and this was black, older steel.. DOH..
Also found my new pocket knife that I lost before I even opened it.

This must be my lucky day.... (anyone remember that line)?

I had an underutilized aluminum block about 14”x6”x1.5”, thought a mill pallet would make sense. It just fits in my vise crosswise, has 21 thru holes tapped same as my mill hold down kit at 1/2-13 but only part way, so bolts can’t penetrate thru the bottom plane, possibly doing damage, and also so the bolts bottom out and tighten up readily. The tapping head made this an easy project.

C2E1CE6B-1EF7-43DC-B430-02D2C73E8AF0.jpeg

I decided to try out my horizontal cutter sharpening fixture that I built to see if it is going to actually work. So I mounted up a used cutter and gave it a shot. I first ground the cutting edge, then ground the relief behind it. Gave it a test in a piece of 4140. .100 tho DOC and the cutter is .250 wide. It seems to have cut pretty well. Decent curled chips too. I am still learning this so any of you grinding guys please chime in.
1.jpg
2.jpg

Hi! My name is Erik and I am new to the site.

I made a couple of gib locks for my Rockwell 21-100 mill. The locks were not included with the mill.

Attachments

• X Axis.jpg
    X Axis.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 20
  • Y Axis.jpg
    Y Axis.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 21
I have this old Steelcase stool that I use in the garage. Since I got it, the vinyl on the seat pad was torn... I have been meaning to recover it for a few years now... Initially I was just going to use black vinyl again, but I had some leftover thick leather from another project and decided to use it to do this...

IMG_4244.jpeg
IMG_4247.jpeg
IMG_4251.jpeg

Done!!

IMG_4258.jpeg

I could have cover the back plate as well, but the vinyl there was in perfect condition... figured I would leave that alone for now. I have more leather to cover later if needed...

IMG_4257.jpeg

Back