POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Well I keep reading about how I should try American made insert tooling. So, having a big pile of inserts from who knows where, I made a holder. So now I have an American made insert holder with an American made insert. It did work pretty well.
After I had played with it awhile, I figured I ought to make the work into something, instead of just tossing it. So I used my home made tailstock die holder for the first time, to make a 1/4-20 knurled thumbscrew. The die holder worked amazingly well! If you knew the trials I've gone through trying to use dies on the lathe, you'd throw me a party. Then I parted off my new thumb screw with my home made parting tool holder. So after all that, I'm feeling down right patriotic today.
All kidding aside, the insert I used did "feel" smooth when turning. And DOC was seemingly limitless with a slow hand feed, although I didn't push it under power feed. Pretty cool.

Attachments

• 96387173-EBA7-43B1-BC57-B6E8508E3493.jpeg
    96387173-EBA7-43B1-BC57-B6E8508E3493.jpeg
    75.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 349C817C-B386-41A3-9B13-9DE93B9C2173.jpeg
    349C817C-B386-41A3-9B13-9DE93B9C2173.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 0FA9EC50-DB58-46BD-9BA6-8E2ED13A5241.jpeg
    0FA9EC50-DB58-46BD-9BA6-8E2ED13A5241.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 16
Today i spent almost the entire day assembling this scenic back together. I reassembled everything but could not get it to fire up. Sounds a bit weak in compression, checked spark, check fuel, timing but no fire, i'll mess with it tomorrow but it could have stuck piston rings, that engine has seat in my garage for around 9 years. Last thing i had to try was an original set of VW Imola 15" rims i have, those rims are very rare only 500 sets. They look nice against the blue paint.
IMG_20220204_220703.jpgIMG_20220203_204744.jpg
IMG_20220203_204814.jpgIMG_20220203_204735.jpg

Murphy's law just hit me, i spent couple hours trying to get this car to fire up. And no luck, i have 2,5 bar compression on cylinder 1 and 2. And 4,5 bar on cylinders 3 and 4. I apply compressed air and is leaking in the crankcase maybe is leaking in between cylinders but it could be just eho also i checked every part of the injection even replaced all the sensors. It tries to fire but won't light up. Now i'm at a cross roads i can fill the cooling system up pull it out of the garage and tow it in gear the higher RPM can break the piston rings free but they can also break and destroy the engine. I left them to soak overnight and will leave them till tomorrow if i can't get it started. i'll replaced the engine again or ili rebuild it in place.
IMG_20220206_161853.jpg

I have a small Yanmar diesel that the rings would stick in. I'd pull the glow plugs and fill the cylinder with a mix of ATF and acetone and let it sit over night. Usually fired up the next day. They stuck 5 or 6 times. Expect it had ran a LONG time between oil changes before i got it and had simply gummed up. Has ran fine now for 3 or 4 years.

Greg

Since we're talking about PSA's. Be very very careful if using any aluminum brightening cleaners (acids). Many of them available over the counter contain Hydrofluoric acid. Yes, HF, and at 10%-15%! This stuff turns your bones to jello and doesn't stop. Really really nasty stuff. Sometimes it's listed as Hydrogen Flouride, but when mixed with water it becomes HF acid.

Wash your car or boat on Saturday, spend the rest of the year trying not to loose your arms kind of reaction.

Since we're talking about PSA's. Be very very careful if using any aluminum brightening cleaners (acids). Many of them available over the counter contain Hydrofluoric acid. Yes, HF, and at 10%-15%! This stuff turns your bones to jello and doesn't stop. Really really nasty stuff. Sometimes it's listed as Hydrogen Flouride, but when mixed with water it becomes HF acid.

Wash your car or boat on Saturday, spend the rest of the year trying not to loose your arms kind of reaction.
My country is worst in the region about regulating chemicals. Anything is available even staff that has been banned since the 70's is imported and used. That's why johnson control and van hool buses come here cheap labour and no pollution control. Many of the catalytic converter for the US are made here about 10 miles from me, and that is all heavy metals. I don't use brake cleaner at all, mainly because of price, i use gasoline in a spray bottle.

I have a small Yanmar diesel that the rings would stick in. I'd pull the glow plugs and fill the cylinder with a mix of ATF and acetone and let it sit over night. Usually fired up the next day. They stuck 5 or 6 times. Expect it had ran a LONG time between oil changes before i got it and had simply gummed up. Has ran fine now for 3 or 4 years.

Greg

I have a yanmar excavator that runs like a top. I wished they made skid steers.

The one I have is in a John Deere mower. Built for JD. Looked into rebuilding it when I was having the problem. Yours is a far superior engine, it has sleeves, the JB variety is a bored block. Runs fine but not built for the life of a true one.

Greg

Today was judgement day for the K7M engine. It's not making compression, the starter motor got a good work out but wouldn't start. After thinking about it i decided i'll rebuild it in place. i have one more spare but if this one is stuck i'm sure it will be also. With only 2 hours to spare i took apart everything around the top end and managed to remove the cylinder head. The engine is much cleaner inside the cylinders than the rest of the engine, some one did not changed there oil on time. This engine has 136 000 km and as you can see the valves are like new , i haven't clean them or the pistons. Tomorrow i plan to get the oil pan out and remove the pistons also i'll take apart the cylinder head it needs a good resurface, valves ground, new valve seals. Working on a petrol engine is much easyer then diesel.
IMG_20220206_194944.jpgIMG_20220206_201400.jpgIMG_20220206_201430_1.jpg

Back