POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

get that air pump working. You'll be glad you have it working. if it doesn't work, take it apart and work on it.
Tuesday I brought home this bandsaw:
EF4D11EF-7E75-4CBE-BB8B-C2AA16A2B764.jpeg
It needs some attention, for one the belt driven air pump didn’t work, and woodchucker got on me about getting that fixed. You know, eventually we get enough tools that no matter how complicated the task, we are confident we can mess it up. So I took the pump out and apart. It’s a pretty simple and effective looking design, with an impeller that holds four plastic vanes. The impeller is a press fit on a shaft with two also pressed on bearings further pressed into a housing. The impeller is also secured to the shaft with a blind roll pin. Ugh. I had to use a 1/8” carbide end mill to chew it out, then I could press it off the shaft. There were two directions it could come off, and I chose the wrong one and buggared up the shaft. Ordered new bearings, I’ll make a new shaft, the impeller and vanes are fine, so with a lot more pressing, it should work fine again.

E8A99BE2-A92D-42B6-83DB-41D48BC30324.jpeg

3d printed a holder for my transfer punches.
What a great idea! Having a 3D printer sitting unused 99.99% of the time, this would be a good excuse to put that machine to work.

I even need some wrench organizers in my tool box... ...hmmmmm. You may be onto something here!

Done!

IMG_4422.jpeg

I made it so that a wrench could be place on top...

IMG_4423.jpeg

Notch done for the set screw

IMG_4424.jpeg

But thinking about making another notch higher... just in case I want the handle at its highest position... I do not think that I will be needing to use a wrench...

EDIT: Now it is done!

IMG_4426.jpeg
IMG_4428.jpeg

There is no blue in my lathe... so I had to color match it to the lathe... Hammered green it is!

IMG_4433.jpeg

Last edited:
A friend just got a 3D printer. He's been making holders and brackets. He told me now he's making holders for the brackets and brackets for the holders. This terrifies me since it's almost irresistible.

My son is currently in school to become a certified Solidworks programmer, and recently bought a 3D
printer. This is a part he printed for me the other day: a battery tray for a custom motorcycle. I gave
him a basic drawing which he turned into a Solidworks file and then printed. First time he's done that.
The part came out great.

IMG_1784.jpeg

IMG_1785.jpeg

Done!

View attachment 395952

I made it so that a wrench could be place on top...

View attachment 395953

Notch done for the set screw

View attachment 395954

But thinking about making another notch higher... just in case I want the handle at its highest position... I do not think that I will be needing to use a wrench...

EDIT: Now it is done!

View attachment 395955
View attachment 395956

There is no blue in my lathe... so I had to color match it to the lathe... Hammered green it is!

View attachment 395976
Jamie, you are SUCH A FASHION guru.. who knew. ;)

I gave
him a basic drawing which he turned into a Solidworks file and then printed.
That is the beauty of 3D printing. From concept to part can be pretty quick with most of the time being with the printer while you can make something else or watch TV or drink beer. Also low cost material makes it practical for a little trial and error (successive approximation) style of design. In my first version of the Transfer punch holder, I did not oversize the holes quite enough but it was easy and quick to enlarge the holes slightly and print it a second time.

Really simple little job for me today - took this old toolpost I saved from a workshop scrap bin and turned it into a solid plinth for my tool post. Just need to sort out a couple of T bolts for the back side.

Cut off the front corners for some clearance, resized some holes, and made a shaft for the whole thing.

edit: Oh and first thing was chuck it up in the 4 jaw to remove a few mm to get the height right.

DSC05147.JPG

DSC05150.JPG

DSC05152.JPG

Back