[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 43972

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
so it keeps the tap centered in the chuck, if you stop the feed, it will pull itself out of the holder and disengage. The hole is drilled not all the way through, then a swipe is taken with an end mill to create the flats and expose the hole as a through hole. if you dont' feed at all, as soon as the tap moves enough to release from the flats, it stops turning. simple
or as Ray says pull back on the quill and it stops.
That’s quite smart.. certainly helps if you don’t have a motor with a brake and means you don’t have to hand brake the mill when you want to reverse - which is my biggest pet peeve and source of anxiety when power tapping (the motor spin down). Just lift up, let the motor spin down, reengage and reverse. Nice.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I think im just confused with how the tap is being driven to start and keep going? Im am a more of a see and learn how it works then trying to read it. Bear with my little head lol.

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
I think im just confused with how the tap is being driven to start and keep going? Im am a more of a see and learn how it works then trying to read it. Bear with my little head lol.
This should clear it up.

Ray

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Just made a simple tap driver that fits in a drill chuck on the mill. It could be used in a drill press too with the speed turned down low.
I just made 2 of these but as tap handles(horizontal rod with a hole in the middle),mainly for my small metric M3 ,M5 taps, you actually can feel the taps when bottoming out or getting hard to turn. I was tired of breaking my small taps.

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Ok i got it now. Deff need to make a few of these for taps. So you bore the hole out to a slip fit the mill the flat?

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
Ok i got it now. Deff need to make a few of these for taps. So you bore the hole out to a slip fit the mill the flat?

I used a scrap piece of 4140PH and turned the OD to 1/2". Drill a hole a few thou larger than the body of the tap (for 3/8 tap, I think it it was .380"). When I made mine, I made an undersize bore and reamed it to the closest +size. Then, cut the piece with an extra 3/8 to 1/2" of stock longer than the bore you made. Put the piece in the mill and make a centered slot the same width as the flat part of the tap, thru the solid part of the round stock. The slot has to extend down far enough to cut into the bored hole.

All done.... I also made them for 5/16 and 1/4" taps also using roundstock that is 1/2" diameter.

If possible use a slightly hardened piece of metal to prevent the flat part from getting butchered-up with extended use. Optional of course.

I cut 50 holes in roughly 1/2" thick stainless steel. -Easy Speasy!

Ray

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yup im deff making 2 of each for each tap from 1/4 up

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
nice job Ray.
Thanks. In all honesty, I don't recall ever seeing this used to drive taps but, somewhere along the line, I think I've seen this type of drive mechanism for other things so, it's not really a novel concept.

Ray

ACHiPo

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Made a couple special clamps for reassembling the Albrecht chuck I'm rebuilding. I added a 1" "vise" to one so I could remove the 1" shaft on the Criterion 202 I bought. I still needed to heat up the shaft to remove it (guessing someone thought Loctite was a good idea). Got the 1" shaft off and the R8 is on, so now I've got a couple boring heads
!IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1062.JPGIMG_1066.JPG

Ray C

Platinum
Staff member
Registered
who's the boss Ray?
Argus the African Grey... He's pretty bossy indeed. Very demanding. And when something goes wrong in the shop, he rattles off a cuss-word usually before I do. He's a little over 20 years old now and has seen a lot of shop work. He refuses to wear eye protection and my best attempts to install earplugs have never been successful so, he has to go back in the house during certain activities. Same with Sash and little Linus who you can see in my icon. I have another dog, Leila, a Rat Terrier who is really chilled-out. Sometimes all 3 dogs and Argus sleep together -especially in the winter.

I'm the servant to all 4 of them.

What's the story on your K9? Looks like an astute and faithful friend.

Ray

L

Lordbeezer

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Finished up a tail stock taper attachment today..modified a Hardinge lathe or mill tool..I didn't make this tool.just modified it for my use.has a pretty good amount of adjustment image.jpeg

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
Argus the African Grey... He's pretty bossy indeed. Very demanding. And when something goes wrong in the shop, he rattles off a cuss-word usually before I do. He's a little over 20 years old now and has seen a lot of shop work. He refuses to wear eye protection and my best attempts to install earplugs have never been successful so, he has to go back in the house during certain activities. Same with Sash and little Linus who you can see in my icon. I have another dog, Leila, a Rat Terrier who is really chilled-out. Sometimes all 3 dogs and Argus sleep together -especially in the winter.

I'm the servant to all 4 of them.

What's the story on your K9? Looks like an astute and faithful friend.

Ray
My icon is gone. We put him down Feb 2017. He was 18 and the best dog. He would grab frisbees 6' out of the air, smart, .. the best. In August we opened our hearts to a large German Sheppard pure bred. He's a rescue, I got lucky. A big guy , big personality that likes to play and have belly rubs.

I'm impressed that the dogs and boss sleep together. especially the rat terrier. I would think that she would go after Argus, just knowing terriers as small animal hunters.

David S

Active User
A couple of days ago my bride came in and said the "van won't start". Went out to the garage and turned the key on part way..radio on..check, turn on headlights...check...turn key to crank...click...click...click. Ok Hi impedance battery, it is 7 years old.. Time for the charger to get it started.

This is a 2003 dodge grand caravan. reached down under the dash to pull the hood release lever and it released and the plastic lever broken and fell apart. Fortunately the hood opened, got the big charger on the bat, started the van and we went for a new bat. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.

Please enjoy and chuckle and have pitty.
Broken latch fingers.broken hinge mounting ears.jpg so had to get some measurements in order to make a replacement for the two broken hinge fingers. then remove the broken fingers.
broken hinge ears removed.jpg
So now to mill a new part out of aluminum to be attached.
new replacement ears.jpg
So the new insert has two tapped holes for 6-32 retaining screws. However it had to be attached to the hood release handle before we could drill the cross holes in the retaining ears.
latch handle mounted for drilling.jpgdrilling holes in new hinge ears.jpg

new part dry fit.jpg
completed assembly open.jpgcompleted hood latch assembly.jpg

Guys I am not even sure why I am posting this..other than it is the thread what did you do today.

David

woodchucker

Bronze
Registered
While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.
:) bet you feel better now. :grin:

Ken from ontario

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
t. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.
Projects like this just makes my day. you get to play with your toys in the shop and also become a hero for one day.

RJSakowski

A couple of days ago my bride came in and said the "van won't start". Went out to the garage and turned the key on part way..radio on..check, turn on headlights...check...turn key to crank...click...click...click. Ok Hi impedance battery, it is 7 years old.. Time for the charger to get it started.

This is a 2003 dodge grand caravan. reached down under the dash to pull the hood release lever and it released and the plastic lever broken and fell apart. Fortunately the hood opened, got the big charger on the bat, started the van and we went for a new bat. While I was at my service guy, we discussed the broken latch...$50 with taxes. Holy crap for $2 worth of plastic. SOOOOO the rest is what we hobby machinists do to show our wives how we can fix a $50 part with $10,000 worth of equipment and 5 hours of me time.

Please enjoy and chuckle and have pitty.
Broken latch fingers.View attachment 263328 so had to get some measurements in order to make a replacement for the two broken hinge fingers. then remove the broken fingers.
View attachment 263329
So now to mill a new part out of aluminum to be attached.
View attachment 263330
So the new insert has two tapped holes for 6-32 retaining screws. However it had to be attached to the hood release handle before we could drill the cross holes in the retaining ears.
View attachment 263331View attachment 263332

View attachment 263333
View attachment 263334View attachment 263335

Guys I am not even sure why I am posting this..other than it is the thread what did you do today.

David
Hey, the very first job that I did on my Tormach was machining a new lid latch for my wife's Cuisinart teapot. It was machined from aluminum and replaced the broken plastic part. That was more than six years ago and it's still going strong.

It may be a minor project but in your significant other's eyes, you're a hero. It also helps to justify the $10,000 machine.

If the hood latch on my Grand Caravan ever fails, I may PM you for your design.:penny:

B

Brento

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I hope i can do jobs like this. My wife is like we need ti e saving money for a house. (I rent from my parents) i said its not just a phase though its a hobby and part of my job ad wuld be like homework. Id rather buy now wile we can afford it and i have the opportunity to get these great machines.

Hawkeye

Active User
I have a 1 gallon Shop-Vac that has plenty of suction. Easy to pick up and it does a good job on fine chips like that - even when they're a bit wet. Gets a bit choked up on long stringy ones, like drillings.

zmotorsports

I've been trying out some accessories I bought for the rotary table this winter.

View attachment 263165

It's a Vertex HV-8 8" rotary table. It fits pretty well on the 8x30 table of my mill.

Mounted a MT3 -> ER32 adapter into the rotary table. Had to make a thick washer and dig-out a metric bolt for a mini drawbar. It was cheap enough although the .002 runout isn't anything to write home about. It should do for many applications but for fussy stuff I will have to use a center + dog.

View attachment 263173

Also got the DP-2 dividing plate kit made for this rotary table. Had to do a bit of fitting (the crank wouldn't fit on the shaft) but it's working well now. I did briefly consider obtaining the popular BS-1 dividing head, but I have enough trouble keeping the rust off this thing without having another rarely used piece of tooling. Compared to the BS-1, the table doesn't pivot but those big plates support all divisions 100 and below, whereas most of the smaller heads start having trouble with divisions over 50. It's not a problem for this setup, but notice the plate's considerable overhang at the edge of the table.

Also picked-up a tailstock. It's not from Vertex, but this one was a bit cheaper and seems nicer. The height is adjustable with a knob and it has enough range for the rotary table at the top end and extends down to support collet blocks (on parallels) in the vise which should come in quite handy. I was also surprised the supplied mounting bolts fit in the smaller slots of this mill table.

Have a small job for the table tomorrow and then it's back onto the shelf. I'm so glad I didn't buy a bigger table as this thing is heavy enough to lug around.
Would you mind sharing a part # and where you ended up purchasing your tailstock for your Vertex 8" RT? I have the same RT and would like to invest in a nice quality tailstock for it.

Thank you.

Mike

DoogieB

Active User
Registered
Would you mind sharing a part # and where you ended up purchasing your tailstock for your Vertex 8" RT? I have the same RT and would like to invest in a nice quality tailstock for it.

Thank you.

Mike
No problem.

If you search for "Adjustable tailstock for 6" and 8" rotary tables" on Ebay you will find it. Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-tailstock-for-6-and-8-rotary-tables/181146282969?hash=item2a2d28ebd9:g:V6kAAMXQVs1Rj~8N:sc:UPSGround!17065!US!-1

Amusingly, it's now marked at $575. I'm pretty sure that's a keyboard error on their part, because I bought it for $75 +$17.79 postage and none of their other tailstocks changed in price. You can also find it on their website (utoole.com) for $72. I believe there are a few other importers selling this tooling.

It was quickly shipped in a small wooden crate (which I kept for storage) inside a cardboard box. Somehow the small plastic knob at the end of the quill lock lever got broken, which is no biggy as I'll just make a new one out of AL.

Got to play with it this weekend and it seemed to work pretty well.

zmotorsports

No problem.

If you search for "Adjustable tailstock for 6" and 8" rotary tables" on Ebay you will find it. Here's the link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adjustable-tailstock-for-6-and-8-rotary-tables/181146282969?hash=item2a2d28ebd9:g:V6kAAMXQVs1Rj~8N:sc:UPSGround!17065!US!-1

Amusingly, it's now marked at $575. I'm pretty sure that's a keyboard error on their part, because I bought it for $75 +$17.79 postage and none of their other tailstocks changed in price. You can also find it on their website (utoole.com) for $72. I believe there are a few other importers selling this tooling.

It was quickly shipped in a small wooden crate (which I kept for storage) inside a cardboard box. Somehow the small plastic knob at the end of the quill lock lever got broken, which is no biggy as I'll just make a new one out of AL.

Got to play with it this weekend and it seemed to work pretty well.
Thanks for the quick reply. I appreciate the information.

Mike

francist

Active User
Ok, this may be a little over the top for a lot of folks but I couldn't help it. The OCD streak in me took over and just had to be scratched.

We've been shifting facilities at my work recently, and I ended up with rafts of surplus Ethafoam to dispose of. It's a museum-quality closed cell polyethylene foam that comes in sheets, in this case 3/8" thick. It's nice because it's super light, clean and non-absorbent, and cuts like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Bonus points for being free. Hmmm, how to repurpose at least some of it.

Enter my small collection of horizontal milling cutters, and a lack of really great place to store them. Flat they take up a lot of space in a drawer, but stacked they rattle together and that doesn't please me either. Maybe some buffer material would help...

image.jpeg

Long story short: two simple templates, an empty card file cabinet, and a garbage bag of ethafoam scraps and it's done.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Simple to deploy, flexible in use, and dead easy to make bigger or smaller compartments depending on the need. Total labour: one hour, including scratching time.

Thanks for looking!

-frank

[5] [7]