POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Reading and hearing all the cautions about breathing grinding dust, I set up a mini-grinding station. There's an 8" coarse and fine grinder, a 6" set up with a 3M deburring wheel and a silicon carbide wheel, and a recent addition, a Deckel clone cutter grinder. There's a pretty good learning curve on that machine, and a million mistakes one could make, but wow, what precision!

So I have basically mocked up a vacuum system plumbed for convenience, with cut-off stubs for flow control. The vacuum motor will be on the other side of the wall for sound reduction. I think the precision work with the cutter grinder is incompatible with roaring vacuum noises. I used some 2' square aluminum tiubing, rough miters at the corners and currently held together with electrical tape. There are sheet metal clips that slip over the tubing and block unused ports, and also for fun and evaluation a rotating flap with external control and indicator. :D I machined a block of Delrin for the main vacuum port, waiting only for a choice of vacuums and hoses.

I don't expect the Nobel Prize in Vacuum Technology, but if it picks up a fairly high percentage of the grind, I'll be happy.

IMG_3549.jpegIMG_3550.jpegIMG_3558.jpegIMG_3557.jpeg

I'm sure this doesn't seem like much. But these cover plates have taken 15 years to get mounted. Took 10 to get the power run and air run, and another 3 to get insulation and board. Then until now to get them up! As of tonight they're done.

Not.jpgMuch.jpg

I try to keep moisture under control in the room. But every time I walk by the dehumidifer hose it somehow gets kicked away from the floor drain and spews water on the floor I want to sweep up! If I ever get my hands on the guy who does that...

So, simple solution. Start by mowing over one of the wife's favorite garden hoses, then cut to length so the dehumidifier can sit out of the way. However that still didn't solve the problem. Same a$$hole keeps kicking the hose again! Next step was to bend a bit of steel rod into an L, and tape it to the hose to keep it over the drain. Let's see that d**k kick it away now!
Arrrrg.jpgFixed.jpg

I'm a little worried my "Friendly Neighborhood Bug Killer" won't be able to get his drinks any more. Don't want to discourage him from doing his job!

Friendly.jpg

That, and a few days back we didn't get any sleep all night. Mosquitoes swarming all over inside the house. Finally, in a fit of rage found out how they're getting inside. The Air to Air heat exchange sucks outside air in and mosquitoes with it. This is all fine any dandy, as they're trapped in the filter box. Until the 'smart' unit decides to switch over to inside air. Which dampers the outside air off and switches to inside air. Basically opening the flood gate of trapped insects free into the house! What the f!!!
So, added a screen to the house 'intake' port of the exchange unit. Checked the next morning, a good number of bugs trapped inside the unit.
Eventually I'll put a better screen into the air inlet, when the bugs die down enough to stand being out there to work on it...

Screen.jpgBugs.jpg

Ireland? IRELAND!!?? Hae ye noot herd thot the bonny sport was invented in Scootland?
Hence the question mark in my post.

Not a game I play. How many games has man invented that after you hit the ball you go to retrieve it yourself, but wait you can't pick it up, you have to hit away from you again?? This process keeps repeating itself again and again. Fool me once.. Not for me.

Hence the question mark in my post.

Not a game I play. How many games has man invented that after you hit the ball you go to retrieve it yourself, but wait you can't pick it up, you have to hit away from you again?? This process keeps repeating itself again and again. Fool me once.. Not for me.
You should try it: one of the few games where you are playing against yourself (or at least your limitations).

I
You should try it: one of the few games where you are playing against yourself (or at least your limitations).
Have tried it. Not for me. My oldest brother for his birthday was playing a different PGA tour course. At least I'm one less person that you have to compete for Tee times.

Happy for everyone that enjoys it.

Usually winters are mild. But houses are not insulated. Last year we haven't lost power, the year before that i run a UPS to keep the stove running, once is leat it take very little power for the waterpump and fan.
No insulation?
Energy is so expensive we insulate the heck out of our homes. It’s in the building codes.

Golf is a long walk interrupted by a few moments of light upper body exercise.

I add in a beer or 2, preferably bought from a shapely young sales lady that brings them to me, a cigar, maybe some sports talk or other guys banter.

Back