POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Just an FYI. The older Delta scroll saws model 40-440 and similar are also capable of die filing. I was interested in purchasing a commercial die filer some 15 years ago. The ones I found were either worked to death or had outrageous asking prices. I decided to see if I could modify a Delta scroll saw to do the job. I purchased one with the intention of modifying it, but much to my surprise I found they came from the factory with this capability. They could be purchased with a chuck made specifically to hold die files.

The chuck is simple to make and works well. I've used my machine a number of times as a die filer. I've yet to use it as a scroll saw. These machines seem to be fairly prolific at used equipment dealers, and usually sell for around $125.00 or so. There are a couple different models. One has 4 speeds accomplished by changing the position of the belt on the pulleys, and the other had a crank adjustable variable variable width pulley. The one I have is the 4-speed belt change model.

Here's a link to the 1940 Delta Power Tool Catalog on the Vintage Machinery website. Scroll saws and accessories begin on page 21.

I have a smaller one... Model 40-530... I wonder if that one can be use in the same way... will check the next time I am at the other house.

Of course, now I am searching for a 40-440 and it will be super expensive because the secret is out...

But buying the ML-18 Filing Machine kit is not about getting a filing machine... it is about making one. The process of getting those castings ready... and making the necessary parts to put it together... That is where the fun is for me... I look a the photos of folks that have finished one and I want to try to do the same... I find it a thing of mechanical beauty...

MLA18.jpeg
MLA-18-Filing Machine.jpeg
MLA-18 Filing Machine-2.jpeg

Last edited:
Interesting project considering a Wohlhaupter boring/facing head is north of $500 off eBay. Might be a nice retirement project.

Bruce
That is what I have been doing... buying all these cool kits to keep busy when I retire... (still have 10 years to go, but if I can do it sooner... yeah...)

Just an FYI. The older Delta scroll saws model 40-440 and similar are also capable of die filing. I was interested in purchasing a commercial die filer some 15 years ago. The ones I found were either worked to death or had outrageous asking prices. I decided to see if I could modify a Delta scroll saw to do the job. I purchased one with the intention of modifying it, but much to my surprise I found they came from the factory with this capability. They could be purchased with a chuck made specifically to hold die files.

The chuck is simple to make and works well. I've used my machine a number of times as a die filer. I've yet to use it as a scroll saw. These machines seem to be fairly prolific at used equipment dealers, and usually sell for around $125.00 or so. There are a couple different models. One has 4 speeds accomplished by changing the position of the belt on the pulleys, and the other had a crank adjustable variable variable width pulley. The one I have is the 4-speed belt change model.

Here's a link to the 1940 Delta Power Tool Catalog on the Vintage Machinery website. Scroll saws and accessories begin on page 21.

For modern day machines , think Dewalt Scroll saw.

Finally finished my microscope stand. The plastic stand that came with this microscope made it almost useless. Every time you tried to adjust focus, the image would shift widely. I managed to incorporate the stand into the the base of a spotting drill I made up recently. The ridgid stand moves this microscope from frustrating toy to a useful addition to the shop. The unit displays the image via Wifi to your phone.

20220224_223021_01.jpg

20220224_223109.jpg
20220224_222919.jpg

POTD was replacing the shoe strings on my favorite work boots. The old laces had split the outer braided cover and were a PITA to tie. Problem #2 is a couple of leather eyelets have split taking them from 5 eyelets to 4. The shortest boot laces Walmart had were 54”, the boots needed around 40”. So, off to the shop.

Plan was to cut the strings to length and use short pieces of heat-shrink tubing to replace the plastic tips on one end of the strings. Yeah, could have cut both ends but biased the strings to put all of the extra length on one end, cut to length, flame the end of the polyester braiding to keep in from unraveling, slip on an inch of heat-shrink tubing and go at it with a Milwaukee heat gun.

Google tells me the tip of a shoe lace is called an “aglet”. I thought it should be called something like a “lace condom” or “londom”, or maybe a “lace p@nis” or “lenis”, but I guess we’ll stick with “aglet”.

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Boot laces from Walmart were too long
20220225_115548.jpg

Biased all the extra to one side and cut them to length
20220225_115738.jpg

Slipped on a 1" length of heat-shrink tubing and went at it with a heat gun
20220225_120245.jpg

New "lenis" in place (aglet)
20220225_120156.jpg

New "aglets" in place!
20220225_120846.jpg

All set for some work. And yes, I know you guys are looking at the grooves on the LH toe area. Touched off a couple of times with a chainsaw.
20220225_120948.jpg

Those boots have some miles on them ! :big grin: My favorites look the same , well broken in . :encourage: If the sun would stay out for more than 15 minutes at a time today , I'd put mine on and start the chainsaw up . I have 3 loads of logs in the back yard to take care of .

POTD was replacing the shoe strings on my favorite work boots. The old laces had split the outer braided cover and were a PITA to tie. Problem #2 is a couple of leather eyelets have split taking them from 5 eyelets to 4. The shortest boot laces Walmart had were 54”, the boots needed around 40”. So, off to the shop.

Plan was to cut the strings to length and use short pieces of heat-shrink tubing to replace the plastic tips on one end of the strings. Yeah, could have cut both ends but biased the strings to put all of the extra length on one end, cut to length, flame the end of the polyester braiding to keep in from unraveling, slip on an inch of heat-shrink tubing and go at it with a Milwaukee heat gun.

Google tells me the tip of a shoe lace is called an “aglet”. I thought it should be called something like a “lace condom” or “londom”, or maybe a “lace p@nis” or “lenis”, but I guess we’ll stick with “aglet”.

Thanks for looking, Bruce

Boot laces from Walmart were too long
View attachment 398057

Biased all the extra to one side and cut them to length
View attachment 398058

Slipped on a 1" length of heat-shrink tubing and went at it with a heat gun
View attachment 398060

New "lenis" in place (aglet)
View attachment 398059

New "aglets" in place!
View attachment 398061

All set for some work. And yes, I know you guys are looking at the grooves on the LH toe area. Touched off a couple of times with a chainsaw.
View attachment 398062
That's a peeve of mine. I had a pair of laces last less than 2 days on a new pair of shoes. The eyelets are sharp edged , not like they used to be. And it doesn't matter if the shoe /boot is made in USA either, as many use Chinese eyelets. And the laces are junk. Good solution.

Back