POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Your lathe doesn't have a reverse on the feed? What kind of lathe?
It's a Grizzly G4000. It does have a reverse (as in the motor can run fwd/rev) but the leadscrew always runs in the same direction as the motor/chuck. With the additional idler gear now I can run the leadscrew in the other direction to cut left-hand threads.

Let's see, the laces are shot, the eyelets are shot, the top of one boot is worn through, and the left boot has been sawed. If those are your favorites, I'd hate to see the ones you abuse.
Yeah, going to order a new pair! These are Rocky boots that have seen 30 years of wear and tear(out). Destined to be my shop boots.

Bruce

It's a Grizzly G4000. It does have a reverse (as in the motor can run fwd/rev) but the leadscrew always runs in the same direction as the motor/chuck. With the additional idler gear now I can run the leadscrew in the other direction to cut left-hand threads.
I thought those had a tumbler in the back. damn... I cut reverse and lefties often enough..

The boot tips getting touched by the chain a couple of times wasn't the closest call. Here's a photo from around 15 years ago. I was cutting a big maple tree that had snapped off about 8' up the trunk (~40" diameter tree). Snapped off part was still on the trunk, top was naturally on the ground. I was cutting the limbs at the very top working my way to the point where it was resting on the ground. I was into limbs about 12" diameter; would make a couple of cuts and hit the adjacent limb.

My last conscious memory was leaning down making a cut. I woke up on my back about 8' from my saw which was still idling. As stupid as it sounds, the first thought that came to mind was "Why am I taking a nap in the woods?" Talk about being punch drunk and having your bell rung (still have ringing in my left ear). I had blood on the side of my head, was coming out of my ear. I wear earplugs instead of muffs. Apparently the tree came off the trunk and rolled. A limb buried in the ground spun around and hit me upside the head. It drove the earplug into my eardrum and tore it. I could hold my nose and blow blood out the ear, sounded like squeaking air out of a balloon. Got to spend part of 12/31 in the ER getting a CT before all of the New Years Eve partiers hit the hospital.

I have a lot of respect (no sh*t Sherlock) for the potential energy in standing trees. Pretty much wait for nature to put them on the ground now.

Bruce

Ouch.JPG

Chainsaws can be dangerous beasts. I know 2 guys that had run ins with them and in both cases the saw won. One fellow I worked with had a nasty scar that ran from his forehead to his waist. One day I asked what happened. He told me he and his brother were building a corn crib. When they put the roof boards on, they left the ends unfinished with the intent of cutting them all the same length with a chainsaw.

He climbed the scaffold, started the saw and began cutting. Just then the scaffold collapsed, and he went flying. The saw followed him down bouncing off him as they fell. It cut from his forehead to his eye, skipped over the eye and cut from just below the eye to his waist. In all he had over 300 external stiches, and several more internal stitches.

In another incident the brother of an ex-girlfriend had an encounter where he was cutting down a tree in a fence row. In this case the tree had grown around a steel fence post. He was about 6" into the tree when the saw kicked back and hit him in the face. It made quite a gash and left a scar from below his left eye to his chin.

I've always had respect for those saws and try to be extremely careful when using them but unfortunately even the most careful people can get injured through no fault of their own.

@stioc

Nice addition to your lathe.

What material is the new gear made of?

The boot tips getting touched by the chain a couple of times wasn't the closest call. Here's a photo from around 15 years ago. I was cutting a big maple tree that had snapped off about 8' up the trunk (~40" diameter tree). Snapped off part was still on the trunk, top was naturally on the ground. I was cutting the limbs at the very top working my way to the point where it was resting on the ground. I was into limbs about 12" diameter; would make a couple of cuts and hit the adjacent limb.

My last conscious memory was leaning down making a cut. I woke up on my back about 8' from my saw which was still idling. As stupid as it sounds, the first thought that came to mind was "Why am I taking a nap in the woods?" Talk about being punch drunk and having your bell rung (still have ringing in my left ear). I had blood on the side of my head, was coming out of my ear. I wear earplugs instead of muffs. Apparently the tree came off the trunk and rolled. A limb buried in the ground spun around and hit me upside the head. It drove the earplug into my eardrum and tore it. I could hold my nose and blow blood out the ear, sounded like squeaking air out of a balloon. Got to spend part of 12/31 in the ER getting a CT before all of the New Years Eve partiers hit the hospital.

I have a lot of respect (no sh*t Sherlock) for the potential energy in standing trees. Pretty much wait for nature to put them on the ground now.

Bruce

View attachment 398093
I've always been aware, Around 2010 or so we had an October heavy wet snow, ice storm... All the leaves still on the trees. I was out there shaking the trees with a linemans pole, and a roof rake. Just finished one tree, was working on the next, when the last tree split apart from the weight... guess I didn't do much... but the branches planted themselves into my deck.. I understand the big ones doing that, but even small ones pushed so deep I could not pull them out. I had to cut them at the deck... My deck is from 1987, so if you know wood, it can be very hard when it's old. It's extremely hard putting a nail in that wood now, so it impressed me.

Glad you survived and are doing well. I also have the ringing, I have a bad case of tinitus... Would love to have some piece and quiet....

@stioc

Nice addition to your lathe.

What material is the new gear made of?
Thanks! the gear is made out of regular PLA. I was thinking of trying Nylon or ABS but decided to just try this idea out with what I had on hand. Worst case I can use a spare change gear I have or buy one if I don't want to take one from my set. In fact, the 40 tooth gear I printed is actually for the 7x14 lathes which I think are readily available in metal and have the same DP/angle etc just the center hole is smaller.

But so far there's absolutely no visible wear from the 30 min of actual use/testing etc I did. Again, just a proof of concept and one of those quick and dirty projects for 'if I ever need to cut a left-hand thread or two I can now'.

Thanks! the gear is made out of regular PLA. I was thinking of trying Nylon or ABS but decided to just try this idea out with what I had on hand. Worst case I can use a spare change gear I have or buy one if I don't want to take one from my set. In fact, the 40 tooth gear I printed is actually for the 7x14 lathes which I think are readily available in metal and have the same DP/angle etc just the center hole is smaller.

But so far there's absolutely no visible wear from the 30 min of actual use/testing etc I did. Again, just a proof of concept and one of those quick and dirty projects for 'if I ever need to cut a left-hand thread or two I can now'.
I have seen some good reviews of printed gears. It's surprising, but maybe not. Good luck, good solution.

Back