POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

The collet size is either 3/32 or 2.5mm. I specifically remember the 3/32 as a size for sale somewhere in my past. If they are not dentist tools, they are for something. I don't like collets on a Dremel because I am swapping tools so often. My Dremels (3) are fitted with small 3 jaw chucks that are available(?) from Dremel. When I bought them, anyway. . . I have fitted them to my full sized machines as well.

I still have a Dremel from the 60s A 280.. They don't die. My hobby shop years ago, said that the new ones don't last , but my model (ball bearing) was the most solid ones made. Made in Racine Wisconsin.. It has had brushes replaced, and I had to solder the wire back to the holder twice. Other than that, I blow it out once a year during maint.. and it's good to go.

I am very fond of my Dremels. They're too fast for most of my drilling work, but with metal cutting discs work wonders. Two are sorta old but have a variable speed controllers so not that old. The third I just acquired in a "horse trade" and is a recent model. I haven't used it yet, beyond checking that it does run. We shall see. . .

I am very fond of my Dremels. They're too fast for most of my drilling work, but with metal cutting discs work wonders. Two are sorta old but have a variable speed controllers so not that old. The third I just acquired in a "horse trade" and is a recent model. I haven't used it yet, beyond checking that it does run. We shall see. . .

yea, I have never been able to drill with them, like you said too fast. Even a #80 burns... I got it for my birthday as a kid, I was building model planes. It didn't have the speed controller. I said to my dad, lets just take a light dimmer, he said I needed a motor controller as he read the amps wrong... it's 0.9 amps, but he read 9 amps. So he picked up a motor controller.. Made our own box, still have it... I guess it was a controller for a fan or something. Quite expensive... took me months to pay off.. paper routes didn't pay much.
Cut offs, sanding drums, burrs, polishing, ,wire wheels, and grinding are it's most useful features. It has gotten me out of spots that no other tools could fit.

Today my brother's astra is in the small garage. It needs a new radiator, finding radiator wasn't hard but replacing it was a struggle. It seems this car isn't made with servicing in maine. I had to remove 2 Fans, intercooler and lots of pipes, battery and its tray just to change the radiator. Not a fun job and it took lots of time. I also added new coolant and fix some wiring and added a hand full of fasteners to the front bumper. How ever worked on it last used zip ties only not bolts.
IMG_20211229_193815.jpgIMG_20211229_193821.jpgIMG_20211229_193828.jpg

wow a pellet driven car... what a concept :grin:

does your brother and sister pay you?

Today my brother's astra is in the small garage. It needs a new radiator, finding radiator wasn't hard but replacing it was a struggle. It seems this car isn't made with servicing in maine. I had to remove 2 Fans, intercooler and lots of pipes, battery and its tray just to change the radiator. Not a fun job and it took lots of time. I also added new coolant and fix some wiring and added a hand full of fasteners to the front bumper. How ever worked on it last used zip ties only not bolts.
View attachment 391023View attachment 391024View attachment 391025
it has been my experience that anything made from the early 1970s is a PITA to work on. And the older I get, the farther back that estimate goes. Most of the work you do equates to a "good" shade tree mechanic in the States. I commend you, Sir, even if you do have a place to work that is out of the rain.(and snow)

Several years ago (long ago) I was doing some electrical work for a small independant shop out of town in a small community. He had a car, GM I think, up on a rack. They had dropped the vacuum lines and electrical connectors and removed 4 bolts to set the entire engine and drive train on the floor.(front wheel drive) Made working on both the auxilliaries and the engine a walk in the park. He had disassembled the valve cover, changed his part, and reassembled the whole thing before lunch.

I think most cars are built for that type of repair these days. Parts that are hard to do in place are a piece of cake when the engine and associated parts are dropped out of the way. Just having room to stand in the engine bay says it all. When you were working on that Russian Jeep like thing a while back, think how much easier it would have been to roll the body over to get to the underside.

I commend your determination, Sir. You are doing what you need done. Carry on. . .

yea, I have never been able to drill with them, like you said too fast. Even a #80 burns... I got it for my birthday as a kid, I was building model planes. It didn't have the speed controller. I said to my dad, lets just take a light dimmer, he said I needed a motor controller as he read the amps wrong... it's 0.9 amps, but he read 9 amps. So he picked up a motor controller.. Made our own box, still have it... I guess it was a controller for a fan or something. Quite expensive... took me months to pay off.. paper routes didn't pay much.
Cut offs, sanding drums, burrs, polishing, ,wire wheels, and grinding are it's most useful features. It has gotten me out of spots that no other tools could fit.
The Dremel chuck fits a threaded shaft as well as the Dremel. I acquired a piece and cut and threaded the shaft to accept the chuck. The shaft is some 4 inches overall and fits my larger size machines. It is a 1/8 inch to zero where most of the chucks on my machines are whatever to 1/32 or so. Basically, it allows me to mount a 80 drill on my 12X36 lathe. Most times when I use small drills, #55 and smaller, they are fitted to a pin vise. I still bend and break them but can only blame myself when I do. Can't throw it off on the machines.

What you are referring to is sold as a "router speed control". The Dremel is a "series universal" motor. Essentially a sewing machine motor in a smaller package. I have used router speed controllers and lamp dimmers as well. But the way I'm set up now is an old fashioned sewing machine controller which is just a heavy resistor. (a rheostat) I have used a Variac (variable transformer) but it's such a PITA to set up and really isn't necessary. In the past, I have tried an old Lionel transformer (AC trains) but it only put out 32 volts max so wasn't really useful.

Last edited:
No, pallets are just stored in my small garage. I don't have a sister, my brother sometimes pays, but i don't care, he is my blood.
I knew the pellets were just stored, but you put the radiator in front of it, and intercooler. if you look at the pic, it looks like an engine.
I thought you had a sister too...
He is your blood, but he seems to be sucking your blood... tell Dracula to stop beating his cars to death..

I got this BS-0 clone dividing head last month and thought instead of putting it back in the cardboard box I would try making a wooden box form scrap wood.

Attachments

• 905FEEEF-C1F2-4B14-A421-B68CD9AC71D1.jpeg
    905FEEEF-C1F2-4B14-A421-B68CD9AC71D1.jpeg
    107.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 89DD099B-0146-4EA6-AAC8-77A6A064D825.jpeg
    89DD099B-0146-4EA6-AAC8-77A6A064D825.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 31
Back