POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Preheat in the oven, and silver solder maybe, or epoxy might be worth a shot. Looks great, gotta love the road runner. Mike

Today, I continued to sort through things and get tools put away. I have tools I've been storing or dragging around for decades, like today's highlight. These two Palmgren vises came from my Dad's uncle, the tool and die maker. I don't know why he had Palmgren, but he was cheap with his own tools while demanding his employers provide Swiss on the job. Palmgren is a funny brand of tools with some charms and quirks. It's old American production, these ones from the 70's at the latest, so the casting and steel is good, while the machining is really well executed. The quirk is that they were a home shop brand, like Craftsman, so the tools were made to be cheap by using super simplistic designs. The combination of good material and bare bones construction makes for an offbeat combination when we are so used to what passes for similar simple tools made in China. Anyway, My Dad dragged them around for 20 years, and I received them dirty in a milk crate where they lived while I dragged them around for another 25. Until today.

Solvent tank, wire wheel, Fluid Film, and elbow grease. No before pics, I was set on a mission.

PXL_20230812_215314071.jpg

Preheat in the oven, and silver solder maybe, or epoxy might be worth a shot. Looks great, gotta love the road runner. Mike
It'll work for holding letters, but that's a special exception to the secret rules of welding, which says you can't make nuthin' stick by welding it to a heat resistant chunk of cast iron. But tack welds will hold for a while... probably.
Shows you how much I know about nothing… and here I also brought over the MIG welder from Orlando for this…

Thank you. I will just JB-Weld them in place. This is just for fun anyway.

Nothing in the shop. But I did make a blood sacrifice to the wild blackberry patch.
View attachment 456792
In return I was gifted 30qts of wild blackberries.

View attachment 456794

This is only part of the haul. Kids helped the wife put them in the freezer as I was busy picking.

View attachment 456793

Sadly, it hardly made a dent in the patch. Going to call some friends to come pick the next few days. The berries aren't the best they've been, as it was pretty dry the last couple of weeks. But there is a lot of them out there this year. Guessing well over a hundred quarts of it was picked clean.

Going to sit down and lick my wounds, over some fresh wild blackberry cobbler. :)

My mom’s blackberry cobbler and (Blue Bell) vanilla ice cream…………….. Absolute heaven on earth.

Today, I continued to sort through things and get tools put away. I have tools I've been storing or dragging around for decades, like today's highlight. These two Palmgren vises came from my Dad's uncle, the tool and die maker. I don't know why he had Palmgren, but he was cheap with his own tools while demanding his employers provide Swiss on the job. Palmgren is a funny brand of tools with some charms and quirks. It's old American production, these ones from the 70's at the latest, so the casting and steel is good, while the machining is really well executed. The quirk is that they were a home shop brand, like Craftsman, so the tools were made to be cheap by using super simplistic designs. The combination of good material and bare bones construction makes for an offbeat combination when we are so used to what passes for similar simple tools made in China. Anyway, My Dad dragged them around for 20 years, and I received them dirty in a milk crate where they lived while I dragged them around for another 25. Until today.

Solvent tank, wire wheel, Fluid Film, and elbow grease. No before pics, I was set on a mission.

View attachment 456797

I have the vise on the right. Great vise.

Back