POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Sorry, I was not clear… I am just going to use JB-Weld… I just wanted to share why I thought I could just tack weld them in place…

It is all cast steel, with the top of the anvil heat treated… only the flat top area is heat treated, not the horn.
Yeah, you wouldn't want to crack your horn from repeated hard blows. Blacksmithing talk is nasty.

Whelp, I was working on my car (trying to get plates on it for the first time in 18 years), and realized the body guy lost the support bracket I'd installed prior to handing him the car. I had gaps between bumper covers and supports, with no way to install the plates (no holes, surprise!).

Thank goodness I caught this weird "machinist" bug. I didn't have a 1/4"-20 transfer screw (I might need to remedy that, just in case), so I used 1/4"-20 all thread and whipped a one-time-use transfer screw using a 60-degree bit in the lathe (a 120 degree tip on the screw), and then a grinder to put some notches in it so I could install and remove it using long needle-nosed pliers.

20230813_200806.jpg

This little thing did it's job. I was able to make a suitable brace, and shim it for exact gap between the underlying support and the fiberglass bumper cover.

20230812_203209.jpg

I finally got places installed on this thing! Now to finish tuning the engine and button up the interior.

Whelp, I was working on my car (trying to get plates on it for the first time in 18 years), and realized the body guy lost the support bracket I'd installed prior to handing him the car. I had gaps between bumper covers and supports, with no way to install the plates (no holes, surprise!).

Thank goodness I caught this weird "machinist" bug. I didn't have a 1/4"-20 transfer screw (I might need to remedy that, just in case), so I used 1/4"-20 all thread and whipped a one-time-use transfer screw using a 60-degree bit in the lathe (a 120 degree tip on the screw), and then a grinder to put some notches in it so I could install and remove it using long needle-nosed pliers.

View attachment 456878

This little thing did it's job. I was able to make a suitable brace, and shim it for exact gap between the underlying support and the fiberglass bumper cover.

View attachment 456879

I finally got places installed on this thing! Now to finish tuning the engine and button up the interior.
ok, but what car/truck ... and where are pics of it?? man you left us hanging. where's the rest of this vehicle?

ok, but what car/truck ... and where are pics of it?? man you left us hanging. where's the rest of this vehicle?

Apologies for leaving you hanging. It's a bit of a habit from working in Cybersecurity - pictures should only show just enough, nothing more. I'll also apologize for the picture coming a little later in this post - it's the most recent, full car picture I have, and it is definitely missing the interior and door hardware.

Utah has vintage driver plates?

Indeed. This has been a project of mine for 26 years, and when I got it, it was 20 years old.

2010-09-24-corvette-panoramic-a.jpg

It's a 1977 Corvette, the original #'s matching engine/transmission are sitting on the garage "floor" (on blocks to keep them off the actual floor). The engine currently in it is a stroked small block (383) with a Holley carb (it's a frankenstein designed to feed the engine), and I replaced the TH350 transmission with a Tremec TKO II (0.64 ratio on the final) standard, er, manual. It's a 3.18 ratio in the back, so it is a TALL set of gears. I've added a few things (it is definitely not stock), and I wanted to change the heads and add a supercharger, but I now just want this thing done. In the family, it has become jokingly [I hope] referred to as the eternal paperweight, and I hope to get that moniker changed to something a little better.

Apologies for leaving you hanging. It's a bit of a habit from working in Cybersecurity - pictures should only show just enough, nothing more. I'll also apologize for the picture coming a little later in this post - it's the most recent, full car picture I have, and it is definitely missing the interior and door hardware.

Indeed. This has been a project of mine for 26 years, and when I got it, it was 20 years old.

View attachment 456911

It's a 1977 Corvette, the original #'s matching engine/transmission are sitting on the garage "floor" (on blocks to keep them off the actual floor). The engine currently in it is a stroked small block (383) with a Holley carb (it's a frankenstein designed to feed the engine), and I replaced the TH350 transmission with a Tremec TKO II (0.64 ratio on the final) standard, er, manual. It's a 3.18 ratio in the back, so it is a TALL set of gears. I've added a few things (it is definitely not stock), and I wanted to change the heads and add a supercharger, but I now just want this thing done. In the family, it has become jokingly [I hope] referred to as the eternal paperweight, and I hope to get that moniker changed to something a little better.
well she looks good. Not my favorite year for the older ones. My favorite is 69, I like the little chrome bumpers and the look.
But she's a stunner, the color is beautiful, the hood awesome, the wheels and side pipes look great. Don't let a little kidding get you down. You have something to come home to and play with. very nice.

Back