POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

End of day yesterday, the fabrication manager at work hands me a rod and says here make eight of these. I say ok .. get home grab some 1/4" stock that I have around and start in. Turns out my stock is SS... the only thing I know about SS is what I've heard from Quinn Dunki. Her mantra is, get in, do your business and get out. The mantra served me well, I was able to deliver the rods this AM. Simple cut to size, drill and tap each end 10-24. I gang drilled some holes in two pieces of aluminum just for looks/storage/packaging.20220301_062110.jpg20220301_062104.jpg

Today i finally found some free time to do some work on the scenic. I made a new intake gasket, installed the intake adjusted the valves clean the head and block installed a new head gasket and bolted down the head in the complex french way. That took some time but i also managed to install the timing belt time the engine install the valve cover and connect the cooling system and a few more things got finished. It's surprising how many cars broke when you don't have time to fix them. From 12 cars between me and my brother only 3 are running well now.
IMG_20220226_115703.jpgIMG_20220226_115900.jpgIMG_20220226_123746.jpgIMG_20220226_130612.jpgIMG_20220226_134837.jpg

I have been working on my Jet VBS-900 bandsaw. I ordered a new motor, it came as used and damaged in shipping, so I bought a new 2HP Baldor, due in tomorrow. Getting ready for installation, I have overhauled the air pump, bought a couple new blades (12’ 2”), tore apart the wiring to figure out the welder, grinder and lights, and saw that the dual belt idler pulley that drives the air pump had terrible bearing. Shockingly, I had the same 6202 bearings in stock (i.e. leftovers) and without thinking too hard, pressed out the old bearings. Only then did I notice the new bearings were a bit bigger in ID. No problem, I’ll make a new shaft. Then, I saw that the threaded end was 12 TPI, there was a missing lock nut that I didn’t have a replacement for, so decided changing over to 1/2-13 made sense. I used the Geometric die head for the threads, man is that easy and quick. However, the shaft threads into a bracket and I retapped the threads from 12 to 13 tpi, which worked fine. I have acquired a bunch of blocks, plates, things with holes in them, so pressing the bearings and shaft out and in went smoothly. Anyway, all done in time for the new motor tomorrow. I hope.

The parts:

28B0A8F1-9A3E-4E38-99B4-D3A535CF99CC.jpeg

The assembly:

D5E747D2-C5A2-4170-A5F5-0F8250FF2656.jpeg

With so many cars broken i need to fix them one by one so today white elephant no: 2 needs brakes, the rears have new shoes and drums but who ever installed them did not clean the adjuster and did not replaced the sliders for the shoes so they have cut a groove in the backing plate, i've had to deal with this on the No 1 so i know what to do i made me new sliders from bronze on my lathe. I clean the adjasters on both sides even found a bolt in one of the rear tires. The tire will go to the tire shop but i was still half way the front brakes wore gone, so i bought new discs and pads, on the pads i went OEM Ate but on the disks parts store only had this brand, it's getting hard to find parts in stock. With new front and repair back brakes this elephant stops better than ever.
IMG_20220227_100142.jpgIMG_20220227_100156.jpgIMG_20220227_102138.jpgIMG_20220227_102611.jpgIMG_20220227_104131.jpgIMG_20220227_110418.jpgIMG_20220227_111159.jpgIMG_20220227_112158.jpg

I bought and installed a QCTP on my lathe a while back and I like it except for the inconvenience of having to grab a wrench to change the angle to the compound. I agree that with proper planning and procedure you shouldn't have to change it much, but I have never been accused of having either, so I find the need often. The wrench is mislaid, or just plain awkward to use whenever needed so I decided to make a captive handle on a threaded adapter to replace the nut on top of the QCTP.

As with any improvement I make I wonder how I lived without so long, it is much handier and user friendly than I thought it would be. While it is not perfect and maybe not pretty, I like it. With everything I make I always see all the mistakes and think of how it would have been better if i had done it different. I have learned to condition myself to look at it a different way though and that helps. I just think that if I did not have a lathe and mill and the doubtful skills that I have acquired and someone gave me that part how would I view it then? Suddenly it is elevated in my view, usually, and looks better to me then and I can live with the shortcomings.

Attachments

• IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Not much, no picx, had 3 chinee tool holders that wouldn't fit, milled about .006 off and everything is cool. Hoping for some rain this weekend , and no more emergency trips to georgia, so I can chill in the shop.

I would send you some of ours if I could we are in deep strife.
you are not in a drought with dry conditions anymore?
Did you ever finish moving from your old house to the new house, or had Covid shut that down?

Finally finished up the new blade for the pocket knife. Really wanted to try the new CPM MagnaCut steel on something, so made a replacement for the Gerber LST. After grinding and finishing, Checked the lock to the drawing. It's pretty close, the places that aren't right on to the drawing were hand fit to set the open/closed position of the blade.

Overall, not a perfect grind on the knife. Steel takes a very keen edge. I'll be interested in seeing how long it holds that edge.

SG.jpg

Lock.jpg

NewBlade.jpg

Back