[4]

POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Staff member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Tomorrow weather permitting , I will be starting the parting out of the SB heavy 10 , and opening up " tractor season " . Got a 126 Cub and a small Deere coming . That warm couple of days last week has me wanting some early garage time . Come on springtime . :)

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i wanted to finish last of the engines major parts for the Little Niva, i need to make a special V belt pulley so i can use a peugeot alternator to get rid of the 42 A dynamo and get more reliable electrical in the little 4x4, I started with a 59 mm solid slug. First i drill and ream the hole to size, i made the back to follow the alternator body as tight as possible so i can get the belt in the right place, then i parted it off and chuck it up backwards, then i face it and cut it down so the nut can reach i left just enough space so i can put a socket on, i managed to finish the shape and test fit it, tomorrow i'll cut the groove for the V belt.

Shootymacshootface

Registered
I started taking my old cub apart today. It needs a number of repairs that have been growing every year. What it needs so far is a clutch, a carb rebuild, a voltage regulator, a complete tune up, all fluids (except the fan hub), and figure out what's going on with the governor.
The throwout bearing is seized up and wearing against the pressure plate.

BGHansen

I started taking my old cub apart today. It needs a number of repairs that have been growing every year. What it needs so far is a clutch, a carb rebuild, a voltage regulator, a complete tune up, all fluids (except the fan hub), and figure out what's going on with the governor.
View attachment 287395
View attachment 287396
View attachment 287397
View attachment 287398
The throwout bearing is seized up and wearing against the pressure plate.
Sure hope it's not your "plan A" for moving snow . . .

Bruce

Rick Berk

Active User
Registered
Sure hope it's not your "plan A" for moving snow . . .

Bruce
YOU PROBABLY KNOW THIS BUT IN THE OLD DAYS THERE WAS A HOSE FROM THE TOB HOLDER TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE TRACTOR HOUSING WITH A ZERK ON IT . ONCE A YEAR CAN PUT 1/4 OF A PUMP OF GREASE IN IT, TRY TO FIND A NOS NEW DEPARTURE BEARING THEY WERE THE BEST. (THANKS FOR ALL YOUR ERECTOR SET POSTS, I LOVE THEM).

GoceKU

Brass
Registered
Today i managed to finish the alternator pulley for the little niva. Started with a 22mm price of cold rolled C 45, chucked it up, and drill and taped it for M10 bolt, then i turn down the front to 17mm to match the pulley, and bolted the pulley. First i cut a 5mm channel 10mm deep in the middle where i need the belt to be, then i set my compound to cut one side , then the other, i used my carbide parting tool for the entire job, i got very little chatter at the very bottom of the gruve and lastly i test fited a new belt to see where it contacts the pulley and left a two tick marks on both sides, so it making full contact.

mmcmdl

Staff member
Got the Cub home and another small tractor I'm stripping the parts off of . Today it's snowing so no garage time for me . Basement sorting thru tools is the alternative . :)

PHPaul

Registered
Today it's snowing so no garage time for me . Basement sorting thru tools is the alternative . :)
Just got off the roof from replacing the flue cap that blew off. 23° and about 20 knots of wind makes one plan ahead to minimize exposure, especially on the peak of a roof...

jdedmon91

Registered
I’ve began a project on conversion of a 12” Craftsman vertical bandsaw to metal. This is not to be my primary saw but to be used for the flat stock and odd jobs that my horizontal bandsaw can’t do. I had to start by gathering material to make a steel stand for the saw. Here is my video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomas s

Active User
Just got off the roof from replacing the flue cap that blew off. 23° and about 20 knots of wind makes one plan ahead to minimize exposure, especially on the peak of a roof...
Yes when you live on the coast this is not the time of year to be on the roof.

Shootymacshootface

Registered
I went to my friendly IH-CASE dealer and had a nice chat about all things Cub. I learned that the throwout bearing on the Cub is graphite and does not spin with the pressure plate. It turns out that my T/O bearing prematurely wore out because of a sticky clutch pedal and also because of using a loader on a Cub. The pressure plate, clutch disk and flywheel all look like they have been in service only a short time. You can still see numbers and writing on the disk surface as well as some machining marks on the disk itself. It looks like the cub is just getting a throwout bearing and a pilot bushing.

cbellanca

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I made a tiny boring bar from some scraps laying around in the shop. The scrap consisted of a 1/4 inch diameter piece of H-13 steel rod, a scrap of
5/8 inch hot roll round bar and a carbide tooth that had a previous life in a circular saw blade. It was a little machining, drilling, and silver
soldering and grinding project. Most of my boring bars are too big for any small boring so this will come in handy when that small diameter
hole needs to be bored. The bar mounts in a C size DTM holder that has a groove in the bottom for holding round materials. This will be handy as
one can adjust the cutting angle to the job at hand. It looks like it will
fit into a 5/16 diameter or so hole. It looks a little long(3 inch overhang) but time will tell I guess. It can always be shortened if needed.

That's what I did.........so far.

View attachment 262315View attachment 262316

cbellanca

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Great idea for boring small holes. I would consider drilling the 3/4" bar to the size of the boring bar, and add a few set screws so the bar length is adjustable.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
Never thought of using DIN rail for a rack. I love it :encourage: I'll do that tomorrow.

mmcmdl

Staff member
It's only a 126 NF . Not really worthy of pics , and it got covered up with snow . :) Are you by chance over on the OCC site ? If so , I'm CCSuperMan . I'll be spending most of my time over there as soon as DST takes effect . I usually do the 2072s , 1872s , or 982s , whatever I can get my hands on . Nothing plastic , no verticals , nothing new . :encourage:
Pictures or it didn't happen!

Franko

Active User
The fiber board on my creeper rotted.
I replaced it with a piece of 1/2" marine plywood with water sealer and screwed to the frame with T-nuts

The pad is that blue camping pad foam glued on with Scotch 77.
Headrest is yellow pine with topside rounded with a 3/4" roundover, glued and wrapped with the blue foam.

Last edited:

kvt

Active User
Franko, that is here you ensure you have something with hand holds where you can roll over to it and use it to grab and help get up. It does work.

[6]
[5] [7]