POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

you are not in a drought with dry conditions anymore?
Did you ever finish moving from your old house to the new house, or had Covid shut that down?
Hi Jeff,
drought gone, rain came reasonably heavy here but devastating down south.
Weve been in the new house for a year now and I have almost moved everything over, just a few items left such as powdercoat oven, aquaponics and mirror grinding machine and a few sundry items.
The biggest hassle is I cant find where I've stacked things when I need them even though I did label some boxes.
At the moment its so damned hot and humid its hard to actually do anything.

Hi Jeff,
drought gone, rain came reasonably heavy here but devastating down south.
Weve been in the new house for a year now and I have almost moved everything over, just a few items left such as powdercoat oven, aquaponics and mirror grinding machine and a few sundry items.
The biggest hassle is I cant find where I've stacked things when I need them even though I did label some boxes.
At the moment its so damned hot and humid its hard to actually do anything.
Seems like more than a year, I remember when you made the gate/fenced in porch area. Has to be 2 years at least...
That last little bit just seems to be taking forever. The temps these days are HOT than hell or cold.. Spring and Fall here are a thing of the past.

I hope you get back on track soon.

I bought a bunch of Kwik Switch tool holders...these are the bomb. Tool changes are a few seconds, and with a pretty good collection (the shot below is about 60% of all of them) I can preload some common tools, like edge finders, indicator, some end mills, spotting drill, etc. They are terrific, but absurdly expensive new, amazingly expensive on eBay, acceptable deals on Craigslist if you can find them, and with help from some Hobby Machinist friends the collection was doable.

I added a 4" riser to the mill to recover (and a bit more) some Z height loss. There are many different types of holders, including some collet holders that work great for smaller end mills, and are designed to have a screw in collet stop to prevent tool movement. But I didn't have any stops. The thread is not specified in any Kwik Switch documentation I could find, and repeated measurements kept coming up 7/16-20, but a bolt of that wouldn't fit. I considered metric sizes, but that didn't work either. For sure it measured 7/16-20. It took way too long for me to recognize that it was a left hand thread. :-(

But that made an easy little project a bit easier, since left hand threads are a snap, just have the carriage move left to right. A couple of goofy little LH 7/16-20 brass stubs now act as collet stops. It's not so clear in the picture, but I used a slitting saw for a blade screwdriver slot.

Kwik Switch collet stops.jpgKwik Switch.jpg

Video_man, this box is beautiful. I need to do this, but setting up some kind of jig for routing out has so far stumped me. Simple shapes, OK, but you have some nice fits there. What's your method?

1646335414827.png

Chainsaws can be dangerous beasts. I know 2 guys that had run ins with them and in both cases the saw won. One fellow I worked with had a nasty scar that ran from his forehead to his waist. One day I asked what happened. He told me he and his brother were building a corn crib. When they put the roof boards on, they left the ends unfinished with the intent of cutting them all the same length with a chainsaw.

He climbed the scaffold, started the saw and began cutting. Just then the scaffold collapsed, and he went flying. The saw followed him down bouncing off him as they fell. It cut from his forehead to his eye, skipped over the eye and cut from just below the eye to his waist. In all he had over 300 external stiches, and several more internal stitches.

In another incident the brother of an ex-girlfriend had an encounter where he was cutting down a tree in a fence row. In this case the tree had grown around a steel fence post. He was about 6" into the tree when the saw kicked back and hit him in the face. It made quite a gash and left a scar from below his left eye to his chin.

I've always had respect for those saws and try to be extremely careful when using them but unfortunately even the most careful people can get injured through no fault of their own.
That’s why I know my limitations. An electric chainsaw with a kickback safety mechanism. And even then, very limited use of the chainsaw by this puppy who realizes I’m on my last of my nine lives.

Did some further testing with the previously made idler-gear (shown in post 5,962) by cutting a matching left-hand threaded nut (using Delrin to save time). Fits the previously made bolt perfectly.

Since I had some shop time left I even milled a hex on the round Delrin nut.

1646433585311.png
1646433559334.png

Back