POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Today's 12! wiring problem had the additional challenge of a bad 4-way switch. Got that straightened out. Two banks of lights down, one to go. I really should have labeled things better, just a matter of poor planning.

Before picture.
IMG_5184.JPG

Bushing mock up #3
Managed to hit the required dimensions this time around.
Good first project to learn on. Had facing, turning, boring, 4 jaw chuck setup, tooling setup and selection, order of operation...
DBC2F43E-07D3-4690-9853-8966552DF4CE.jpeg
Feeling fairly comfortable with moving on to the bronze version now.
Next unknown was turning bronze vs aluminum so I did a scaled down mock up #4 with 1" diameter by 1/4" wall from 660 bronze.
I found bronze to be less finicky for the most part, had to slow down the feed and max cut was less but turned very nicely on the Sherline.

1C903A3B-3423-4935-A0A7-E7F61F631414.jpeg
Be nice to get this done so I can get back to painting and cleaning ;)
7BC9E37A-C9F3-4BB3-B5E4-196A6CE8F216.jpeg

Last edited:
The first rule of Fix A Starter Club, is we don't talk about Fix A Starter Club...

So, I really like Honda small engines, generators, fourwheelers, etc. All the stuff seems to be bullet proof, save for a few small things here and there.

This one issue however, I group in the bone-headed category. The starters are built with ceramic magnets glued onto a steel housing. OK, no problem there. However that glued housing is right next to the unshielded exhaust pipe! On top of that, the magnets aren't set into pockets or anything! Just glued to the surface. Once the pipe heats up, glue softens and the magnets can pop off. Then the starter jams...

After replacing a couple, I finally studied it closely enough to figure out what was going on. So, decided to add heat shelding, and extra epoxy between the magnets.

This particular unit I repaired by removing good magnets from another bad starter (with a torch!), and glued them in place. Hadn't added the extra glue then. So this weekend was a preemptive project to address that issue.

Disassembly and cleaning showed at least one magnet was cracking.
Start0.jpg

Then taped up a dam to let epoxy flow, and flooded the grooves with epoxy.
Start1.jpg

Then it was off to the garage to fabricate a heat shield for the starter side of the exhaust pipe. This is hard to image. But under that shield, an inch or so away from is the starter is the bare pipe.
Start3.jpg

Pulled the tape and extra epoxy, then using a small Dremel drum on the Foredom sanded the epoxy between the magnets just below flush.
Start5.jpg

Then bolt it all back together, and see if it starts. (It did)
Start4.jpg

Lastly, went out to check on the bumper peach crop this year. I touched it, and it fell of into my hand. So split the whole crop with the wife. I tried neem oil on the fruit this year, and the peach seemed to pick up a bitter taste. Don't think I'll be trying that again.
BumperPeachCrop.jpg

For your heat shield to be very effective you really need an air gap between the pipe and the shield. Nice fix on the starter. Mike
Yes, agreed, there is a gap. About 1/2" or so. It's spaced off the pipe by the two factory heat shields that didn't cover the back side.
Not sure if it's blocking too much airflow around the pipe, but I'd rather have a slightly warm exhaust over dead starter in the middle of nowhere. And it's a four wheeler, it's doesn't get worked very hard (unless it's going down the road at 25mph where there's airflow to cool it).

I did the other one a few years ago, and that's held up. Hopefully this one does too.

The new cad machine is slowly coming along. Having been hit by lightning often, all the critical stuff has been moved to fiber. Of course, once you have fiber, 10G is the only way to fly. Unfortunately, I overlooked the lack of x4 or x8 PCIe lanes on this new board. Found an M.2 to PCIe x4 adapter. Testing it out it appears to do the trick. Running 1000MB/s to and from the FreeNas server.
10G-'work.jpgNoLoss.jpg
Unfortunatly, going to have to figure out how to mount it. I think there's room below the main board for a few standoffs, properly placed to hold the PCIe board, and line up with a case slot.

That, and helped pull on a 'small' tree so it didn't hit a building. All I had to do was sit in the tractor and put tension on the cable to make sure the tree didn't swing toward the wood shed and garage.

Small.jpgSmallPart.jpgTree.jpgBlock.jpg

Last edited:

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, why were they getting rid of that. They are great..
We got rid of a building (most of the team is working from home)...so a lot of the furniture that is in bad shape gets thrown out... The wrap hides all the sins... the top was in bad condition. I used some filler to make it smooth again.

I also got some single and some double monitor arms, along with some outlet pods (you can see one in the photo).

As mentioned, new house is a lot smaller, so this will be my home-office desk.

Back