POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

it's a little concerning that the "expected durability" is only 5-7 years.

it's a little concerning that the "expected durability" is only 5-7 years.
Outdoor... yes... but the desk will be inside the workshop with A/C. Smaller house and the wife called dibs on the room that was going to be an office. She already has her space setup.

So I get to use a section of the new workshop to setup my home office. It will be the minimal amount of space. I will have some posters from work, and other decorations I took from the office, as background for when I am not using a virtual background for Zoom calls.

Can't wait for the shop to be finished... just waiting my turn as there are 10 more building in front of mine...

Already have the tile ordered...

Tile-2.jpeg

This was me, scratching the heck out of a sample tile they had on display (as they had none in stock) and then cleaning it to see if it passed the "beat-the-carp-out-of-it" test. Yup, cleans nicely, and no scratches left.... I used a key, a piece of a broken tile that was there...

Tile-1.jpeg

I know, I know, white... but it was the only one that I could find at a decent price, porcelain, thickness that I wanted, straight edge, matte, slip resistant... Light beige or gray would have been better, but could not find those in this material/format. I did wanted a light color to make it easier to find the small parts that I will drop...

I really like the look of that table with the “carbon fibre” treatment. Just out of curiosity though (because I’ve never worked with it), how would one typically cut real carbon fibre mat like that? Shears, knife, router….?

I really like the look of that table with the “carbon fibre” treatment. Just out of curiosity though (because I’ve never worked with it), how would one typically cut real carbon fibre mat like that? Shears, knife, router….?
real carbon fiber in weave or uni directional cuts with a scissor.. It dulls pretty quickly.. I use rough sandpaper to serate the blades of the scissor.. A friend who works with it all the time showed me this... works with Carbon Fiber and Kevlar.
Once it is impregnated with epoxy you won't easily cut it. You use a cut off wheel and a dremel or die grinder to cut it. Wear breathing apparatus, and a safety shield for eye protection as it is nasty.

Back