POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

that is one cool little vise - where'd it come from?
I have the same question. That is a cool looking vise for sure.

Back to working on the bushing this evening.
Close to the max for the Sherline
View attachment 461161
Managed to keep everything within specs this time.
Trim to length is going to need about .187 removed

View attachment 461151

RF 30 gets in on the action. My lack of lathe operating time is only exceeded by my lack of mill time. So rough cut to close enough and back to the lathe to finish
View attachment 461158

View attachment 461159

Need to face off .003 then call it done
View attachment 461160

A couple of things arrived...

Installed the leveling casters on the welding/fixture table... I will never get to use antiseized compound without getting it everywhere!! I always try, but always manage to get it on my shirt, all fingers... heck, I call my brother and he gets some on his hands just from answering the phone! Good grief!

IM5.jpeg

These arrived... they look and feel spectacular. Even if I have no use for them...at least, not yet. For now, these are just eye candy.

IM4.jpeg

Carbon brush set...

IM3.jpeg

But turns out that the ones in the grinder were in excellent condition... So now I have a spare set that I can make sure that I lose by the time I need them. I will clean it up while in there...

IM2.jpeg
IM1.jpeg

Installed a small aluminum ramp so that the father-in-law could go in and out to the backyard in his wheelchair. Photo has the pins out, but I drilled holes through the aluminum rail and the concrete, to avoid it sliding out under the wheelchair...

IM6.jpeg

Argo 8x8 blew out a bearing and it took the housing and seals with it:

IMG_3677.jpeg

Fast forward two days and the axle is finally out. Had to remove the control column, the engine and transmission. Luckily, the engine and transmission are on a “sled” (common name for it) and they came out in one piece:

IMG_3719.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg
Was still a pita. Lots of chains, grease and assorted bits had to cone out before I could slide hammer the axle out. Sled had to come out because the axle goes right underneath it.

The axle was straight, but had seen better days, rust wise. So I chucked it up and have it a light “skim”:

IMG_3717.jpeg

Wasn’t as bad as I thought and a couple rounds of sandpaper will clean it right up. Once installed, the bare axle sticking out of the tub will get a shot of Tremclad (ie: canadian version of rustoleum) to help stave off the rusties.

If you don’t want to do heavy maintenance (and frequently), don’t get an argo. Especially not an older one….

Is an OEM replacement available for the bearing housing or will you have to machine a new one? Looks like aluminum?

that is one cool little vise - where'd it come from?

I have the same question. That is a cool looking vise for sure.
It's one of these
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-precision-self-centering-vise/h7576
If I remember correctly did a black Friday buy so I think it cost me $175.
Bought it out of fear of buggering up my costly 5" vise while I go through the milling learning curve.
Disassembled, cleaned up a few burrs, adjusted the gibbs. Fit/finish is good and it's very smooth cranking.
Self centering vises don't seem to have much of a following but it's worked out and I don't have to horse around a 50 plus pound fixed jaw.

Is an OEM replacement available for the bearing housing or will you have to machine a new one? Looks like aluminum?
They sell a "superseded" one. Supposed to be a direct replacement.

Lets just say.....its not.....and leave it at that. I have no desire to repeat the curse words I used earlier today.....

Argos are pretty fun when running, but I effin hate it when it breaks. Working on any of it is like getting down into the watery, oily, grease bilge of a boat and trying to work a wrench.

It's compounded by the fact that they are hell and fury on chains and bearings. There's 16 axle bearings to go bad and close to 70 feet of #50 double roller chain and they all will go bad without any real notice. When they go, they take out a lot of other pieces.

If I had to do it again, I probably would not buy one....

Last edited:
Building the base for my new Tormach mill. Seams big, built to their dimensions. Wonder if it's larger than needed to make the mill seam bigger. lol
Stitch welding the chip pan, with the intent of using a sealant to cover my welds that would probably leak. Thinking urethane windshield adhesive? Any thoughts. Would seam sealer for automotive work be impervious to cutting oil?

IMG_2023-09-28_16-06-57.jpeg

Greg

It's one of these
https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-precision-self-centering-vise/h7576
If I remember correctly did a black Friday buy so I think it cost me $175.
Bought it out of fear of buggering up my costly 5" vise while I go through the milling learning curve.
Disassembled, cleaned up a few burrs, adjusted the gibbs. Fit/finish is good and it's very smooth cranking.
Self centering vises don't seem to have much of a following but it's worked out and I don't have to horse around a 50 plus pound fixed jaw.

I've put that on my want list...

-Bear

Back