POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

How does the multi-reply work??? I seem to remember it used to work, but doesn't seem to work how I expect it to anymore...

I've had good luck with grass seed in October around here. Most sits dormant ready for spring to pop. In fact did my whole yard in 2016. Needed to have it seeded to step into a mortgage from the construction loan. Didn't matter if the grass had started, just had to be seeded...

It's still on the trailer. Probably get that unloaded this weekend. Gotta move chainfalls and such.
Really, this lathe will sit in the garage for a long time yet. No intention to do anything until other stuff is complete. But it's got a dry home, and didn't get hauled to the scrap pile. Was way more concerned about saving from scrap, possibly for the next guy than actually getting it usable. The Sheldon lathe is my first true love... ;)

So excited to get back to cleaning :rolleyes:
Quadrant assembly is the next victim.

F33B94FA-9E62-4CCF-9EAB-CE82CC0206D2.jpeg

Thankfully most things have come apart without much drama due to 57 years of being well oiled. Big gear in the plastic box fit on a keyed shaft and came off with a little hand pulling. Nut on the sliding gear handle is not playing nice though.
64A6FE65-3935-4E64-8E90-953822BD7652.jpeg

Got the assembly removed from the quadrant and to my surprise the handle slips right off releasing the internal ball bearings.
The spring and one of two bearings. Bearing #2 made a run for it
14550DD3-07EC-41EF-ABCB-5E78C74DC404.jpeg
Once again 57 years of blackened oil to the rescue. Left an easy to follow oil trail as it sought refuge under my tool box.
97D545C2-5898-401F-BD65-98817F733C51.jpeg
Still have to deal with the nut on the handle but cleaning can commence now.

Raked the tools off the basement floor . Moved a table over and now broadcasting from the basement ! Life will be much easier now . :encourage:

How does the multi-reply work??? I seem to remember it used to work, but doesn't seem to work how I expect it to anymore...

I've had good luck with grass seed in October around here. Most sits dormant ready for spring to pop. In fact did my whole yard in 2016. Needed to have it seeded to step into a mortgage from the construction loan. Didn't matter if the grass had started, just had to be seeded...

It's still on the trailer. Probably get that unloaded this weekend. Gotta move chainfalls and such.
Really, this lathe will sit in the garage for a long time yet. No intention to do anything until other stuff is complete. But it's got a dry home, and didn't get hauled to the scrap pile. Was way more concerned about saving from scrap, possibly for the next guy than actually getting it usable. The Sheldon lathe is my first true love... ;)
yea if you are waiting for next year. I reseed my volleyball courts first or second week in September and I have grass for the winter. Then it gets thick in late May.. By June its very hardy.

Today i found few hours to spare so i continue cleaning the big garage. In the corner with my spare engines i had lots of house paints and old fluids. One by one they all come out and i put them in piles so i can sort thru them. I filled up three jumbo size trash bags with old oil jugs and garbage, and still have twice that to throw out, it's surprising how fast it piles up. The old oils and dirty fuel i can deposit at a friend's oil burner, its the house paints i don't know what to do with, I'm founding tools and equipment i've forgot i've bought. I can't imagine how would my shop look or feel if i don't spent so much time looking for parts or tools.
IMG_20231005_174908.jpgIMG_20231005_180118.jpgIMG_20231005_180104.jpg

yea if you are waiting for next year. I reseed my volleyball courts first or second week in September and I have grass for the winter. Then it gets thick in late May.. By June its very hardy.
Grass is a long term project here. Growing season is short.

We start getting snow in October or November. After that we don't see grass until maybe April or early May. For most of that time grass is under a few feet of snow at least.

What seems odd to people is that our ground doesn't freeze. The snow provides enough insulation to keep it from freezing (It only freezes where you plow). Go south of here a few hours, and the ground will be frozen like concrete.

What seems odd to people is that our ground doesn't freeze. The snow provides enough insulation to keep it from freezing (It only freezes where you plow). Go south of here a few hours, and the ground will be frozen like concrete.
I imagine you get quite the lake effect off Superior.

Those dispersion paints (and most other house paints for the last 20 years) are easy to get rid of. Open the cans and let them dry, then they are safe as regular trash.
A wide shallow box (think corrugated cardboard beverage tray) with crumpled newspaper in it works fir “conventional (oil based) paint: pour it over the newspaper and let it thoroughly dry then into the trash.

Click on the +Quote in the lower right of the messages that you want to quote, then on the bottom left of the reply window click on the insert quote box. At that point you can rearrange the messages you want to quote and then click on the highlighted "Quote Messages.

Back