POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

First post in the forum.
Today I finally removed the wall that I had dividing my shop in half.
View attachment 464281

View attachment 464282

Without the wall I moved the CNC to the middle of the room, sort of dividing the woodworking side from the metalworking.
Also had the PVC ceiling removed for a contractor to apply a thermal paint to the roof. It's pretty common to have this fiber cement roofing down here in Brazil, and it gets scorching hot. It forced me to also install four roof exhaust fans.
View attachment 464283
Metalworking side still needs a lot of organization, ran out of time today.
View attachment 464285
Going to paint the back walls black as well as the roof's beams. Still thinking on some cool art to add to the black wall other than my Youtube channel logo.
It looks great! Welcome to the forums, and keep your progress photos coming!

Continued work on my lathe stand.
I bought a mag drill before I didn’t like the idea of drilling 9/16” holes in 3/16” steel with a hand drill.
The mag drill just might be my best tool purchase ever.
Punched six 9/16” holes in about five minutes.
df5547c4ac0469f1a690b173a40da717.jpg

52f68778bae1a23d75e0b91e86be77ca.jpg

02fc0c49240b4584d3c1508ecbb742fb.jpg

0a1716f2c3850ee454c66d13e6fb8870.jpg

5790762da62aa11e513260b4e665c586.jpg

I picked up a beat on wood tool box. George Scherr I believe. I always wanted one. I cannot afford a Gerstner new or used. This needs some love. One drawer needs re- glueing and the bottom drawer needs new runners. The first 2 long drawers are joined together to make one deep drawer.

As for finish I will leave the beat on look. I gave the box a good sanding with scotchbrite. Then gave it a good rub down and cleaning with lighter fluid. As mineral spirits are not sold in Cali. I let that dry up good. I then gave it a rubbing with Old English lemon oil. That thing sucked up that stuff really fast. Anyways I will give it another light going over with the Old English in a few days. Then I might give it a nice coat of wax. Not sure on that.
Later I will re felt the drawers. The guy gave me some royal blue from Gerstner he had. Might use that.

Before
6d2dc1054fe32737e2a9ab076c7a69f8.jpg

a4269e212163bddfcc084a2e45dd632c.jpg

f0e526a352fab5d80b1c7a4f5e9df3bf.jpg

d930d936d952b37e73e130477f578a9b.jpg

After so far
a0a4e91535519b9bc2efcca4ae483993.jpg

36130d91bad4247e8fc3f4bcbd54d356.jpg

566971dfe45be3ae48f6c52a5a224a48.jpg

Cutting oil is my blood.

Last edited:
I picked up a beat on wood tool box. George Scherr I believe. I always wanted one. I cannot afford a Gerstner new or used. This needs some love. One drawer needs re- glueing and the bottom drawer needs new runners. The first 2 long drawers are joined together to make one deep drawer.

As for finish I will leave the beat on look. I gave the box a good sanding with scotchbrite. Then gave it a good rub down and cleaning with lighter fluid. As mineral spirits are not sold in Cali. I let that dry up good. I then gave it a rubbing with Old English lemon oil. That thing sucked up that stuff really fast. Anyways I will give it another light going over with the Old English in a few days. Then I might give it a nice coat of wax. Not sure on that.
Later I will re felt the drawers. The guy gave me some royal blue from Gerstner he had. Might use that.
too late, but I probably would have tried purple cleaner, then once rinsed and dried, I would have hit it with Oxalic Acid. It would bleach it so you would have a lighter color. You would have to control how far to go, and rinse with Borax..

Then you could clear coat, oil, wax, whatever.

too late, but I probably would have tried purple cleaner, then once rinsed and dried, I would have hit it with Oxalic Acid. It would bleach it so you would have a lighter color. You would have to control how far to go, and rinse with Borax..

For older wood I like oil and/or wax finishes: easier to apply, feed the wood and in the case of tool chests lubricate the drawers.

I thought of going for a deeper clean. As this box has lived a hard life. I decided to go on a simple clean and finish. If I come across a better box in the future I would opt for a better resto.

Cutting oil is my blood.

For older wood I like oil and/or wax finishes: easier to apply, feed the wood and in the case of tool chests lubricate the drawers.

Yes I am planning on waxing the drawer slides. I made the replacement guides this evening. I need to hunt down some small finishing nail’s tomorrow to fasten them on.

I will wax the box with some Howard’s feed n wax and give it a good buffing. As I have the Howard’s already.

Cutting oil is my blood.

David, that lathe stand look nice (and sturdy)

Somebody gave this thing to me, it’s probably too big for my 12x36 but I couldn’t stand to just throw it into the scrap bin.

IMG_1555.jpeg

So after a few months as a monitor stand I decided to try and get it free. Seems like somebody greased it roofing tar or something similar at one point and no amount of reefing on it was getting it to budge. So, I soaked it in degreaser, then evaporust.

IMG_3427.jpeg

Then I was able to get it apart with my trusty impact screwdriver, cold chisel and drilling hammer.

IMG_3429.jpeg

IMG_3431.jpeg

Now it’s soaking in Deisel fuel.
IMG_3432.jpeg

Looks like it’s a Union chuck. Might become a welding fixture on go on a rotary table if I dare to put one that big on my mill.

IMG_3434.jpeg

John

Attachments

• IMG_3432.jpeg
    IMG_3432.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3434.jpeg
    IMG_3434.jpeg
    525 KB · Views: 13
Back