POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Made my first tool holder will be using it in my boring bar I have been using inserts on the lathe and they work great and I am going to try them on the mill and so far they work just as well.

20231029_133454.jpg
Making a 2in fly cutter out of 4140 and I like the way my Lathe PM1030 and PM-833VT is working with it.
20231029_163734.jpg

Really getting into this matching stuff I zone out and forget where I am and what I'm doing and I get to use my brain unlike at work where I seem to just babysit the next generation of God only knows what...

Made me a Dodecagon ER32 Collet Block:

20231101 Dodecagon ER32 Block.jpeg

OK, machined a hex one I got three months ago for this purpose into a dodecagon. Why? Because obviously I don't have enough trouble keeping track of where I am when using a square block, much less a hex!

Made me a Dodecagon ER32 Collet Block:

View attachment 464626

OK, machined a hex one I got three months ago for this purpose into a dodecagon. Why? Because obviously I don't have enough trouble keeping track of where I am when using a square block, much less a hex!
Do you have an intended purpose, or just for the hell of it?
Can't remember ever needing that.

Need came up in discussion on another forum - chap was having issues with having to clamp on the points of the hex (or clamping on the flats with a point on the bed of the vise, which is what I usually do with no problems). Also, it was an interesting challenge getting the flats in the right place so that it is at least as accurate as the hex I started with: the center line changed after milling the first three points into flats.

Back