POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

Is there a reason you got wheels with bearings in them and pillow block bearings?

Neither here nor there, be sure to show us a pic of the finished product.

Made this for my 6in rotary table making it a 8in with a cut out for 2 1/4 x 1/2 keyway stock giving me a 90 when I need it. Each hole is taped for 6mm and drilled and reamed to take a 1/4 dowel. All of my clamps are 6mm and they work with the 3 pallets I've made.
20231105_181742.jpg
The center pin is a centering pin and it all locks into a MT2 mandrel that I made for the table. I copied Quinn's jig to round corners and can use that with or without the pallet.
20231105_182145.jpg
Having lots of fun with this mill and lathe....

:bang head: Something you need to understand... snip>

OK, I get it. You would be well served to shelve (or return) the pillow blocks and get a small pack of 1/2" EMT 2 hole straps. 1/2" EMT is 5/8" OD.
Using pillow blocks to mount an axle for bearing-ed wheels might be considered something other than complicated.

It's clear that you missed the stage of childhood where neighborhood kids mow lawns and return soda bottles to get enough coins to build wheeled vehicles. Many fond memories there . . . I mean the vehicles, not the lawns.

Also, IMO, cancel the pneumatic tire/wheel set. They will inevitably be flat every time you want to use the telescope.
Instead, use the linked airless models. They will never be flat and the orange color makes them less likely to be a trip hazard.

OK, I get it. You would be well served to shelve (or return) the pillow blocks and get a small pack of 1/2" EMT 2 hole straps. 1/2" EMT is 5/8" OD.
Using pillow blocks to mount an axle for bearing-ed wheels might be considered something other than complicated.

It's clear that you missed the stage of childhood where neighborhood kids mow lawns and return soda bottles to get enough coins to build wheeled vehicles. Many fond memories there . . . I mean the vehicles, not the lawns.

Also, IMO, cancel the pneumatic tire/wheel set. They will inevitably be flat every time you want to use the telescope.
Instead, use the linked airless models. They will never be flat and the orange color makes them less likely to be a trip hazard.

Everything is here… I really hate returning things. I will push forward and replace parts in the future.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Friends arrived and distracted me from finishing this today…

More work on the counter shaft bracket.
b6b6e75ed4225be15240db4af5e21269.jpg

fcc16bbf6fad898da203a94d7441ce8e.jpg

b400d64b1597bb1570cb3c2a205d0378.jpg

455a514c8098fcbbab1df14704f457f4.jpg

:bang head: Something you need to understand... if there is an easy way and a hard/complicated way to do something... I will take the most hard and complicated path... not because I like doing that, but because I lack the wit to know, or identify, the easy way... I should have asked my father-in-law. He is quick to come up with easy solutions like the one you suggested.... son of a gun...

Not a kit already available... I just put a kit together to do this...

This is what I got:

2 Pack (yeah, now I will have a spare shaft for any other projects! ) AR-PRO (2-Pack) 5/8” x 36” Zinc Plated Steel Rods Designed for Use as an Axle Shaft on Hand Trucks Dollies Wagons
4 Pack AR-PRO 4.10/3.50-4" All Purpose Utility Air Tires and yellow Wheel - with 10" Inner Tube, 5/8" Axle Bore Hole
3 sets of 5/8" set screw shaft collars
2 sets of 5/8" Pillow block bearings

There are several house around here, being built. So I just go over to the trash bin and pull out discarded 2x6... that will be used for the frame.

Oh, and to make the swivel front steering, I got these to insert into the two pieces of wood, with a piece of shaft and two collars...

5/8" bore bronze flange

Now I am thinking if a bolt would have been fine for this task... goodness... I need help.

I am trying to make something like this:

View attachment 465276

And was using 2x6 instead of 2x4 because the pillow blocks were too wide for a 2x4.
Thinking back to how much my Meade 2080 vibrated when stably mounted on the tripod, I would think that any kind of mobile platform would make a (14”?) Celestron difficult to use effectively.

Thinking back to how much my Meade 2080 vibrated when stably mounted on the tripod, I would think that any kind of mobile platform would make a (14”?) Celestron difficult to use effectively.
What I really need to do is make a platform in the middle of the backyard... with a pier... At that point, might as well build a small observatory to keep it all there...

What I really need to do is make a platform in the middle of the backyard... with a pier... At that point, might as well build a small observatory to keep it all there...
Moving & setup time (plus lack of Dark Skies) led to me donating everything to a local club. Also, the best viewing season up here is Winter!

Back