POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I purchased an old Enco metal bandsaw on auction a few weeks ago, sight unseen. I paid $390 for it. I thought to myself, "How bad could a bandsaw be." I discovered that this one was really abused. It was too late; I was already there and had to take it home. Once home, I lifted it off my truck with the forks on the tractor. It tipped over and dented the motor cooling fan shield, and busted the fan. I drew one up in Solidworks and 3D printed a new one. It works great, but what a stupid mistake on my part.
Then, I could not keep the blade on the driven wheel. After talking to a guy who knows a thing or two about machines, he suggested I check the wheel surface to see if it was no longer parallel to the drive shaft. It took me a little while to figure out how I was going to do that. I ended up turning a piece of 1018 down but left a slight shoulder for the pulley to register on. I drilled and tapped the end of the shaft for a 3/8" bolt and then over to the mill for a quick keyway slot action.
It turns out (pun intended) that the wheel was worn, so I straightened the surface out to be parallel to the shaft. It seems to work well now, and no more blades popping off the wheel when under load.

Now, I need to fix the bungled-up mess under the vise. The idiot apparently wore the ACME shaft down, and instead of fixing it correctly, he just turned the shaft around and literally cobbled up a nut, some bent-up metal for a spacer and zip tie. This guy said he was a tool and die maker but retired because he didn't get along with some of the guys. No wonder.

Attachments

• PXL_20231019_005842214.jpg
    PXL_20231019_005842214.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 27
  • PXL_20231019_005915476.jpg
    PXL_20231019_005915476.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20231028_030808751.jpg
    PXL_20231028_030808751.jpg
    456.4 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20231029_150601570.jpg
    PXL_20231029_150601570.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20231029_151301023.jpg
    PXL_20231029_151301023.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20231113_222326551.jpg
    PXL_20231113_222326551.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 24
  • PXL_20231113_223346606.jpg
    PXL_20231113_223346606.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 28
Again, where did you get that @wachuko ? I did a search of this thread with your name as the qualifier and I got 400 pages... :rolleyes: :big grin:
Man! I am getting so good at posting in the wrong thread…

@pontiac428 made us do it… here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/what-did-you-buy-today.55645/page-1113#post-1080091

much easier to see it in that pic.
So.. whatcha gonna do with it? Just look at it?

For now, yes Sir. :D No idea, at the moment, what use it will see…

@7milesup
Nice job on the general refurbishment and especially he new fan.

I'm wondering "what manner or form" the wheel was worn? In other words, was it conical, eccentric, grooved, what?
I thought that those wheels should have a crown (not cylindrical). What is your thought.
Also, does the wheel take a tire or does the blade ride directly on the wheel?

Now, I need to fix the bungled-up mess under the vise. The idiot apparently wore the ACME shaft down, and instead of fixing it correctly, he just turned the shaft around and literally cobbled up a nut, some bent-up metal for a spacer and zip tie. This guy said he was a tool and die maker but retired because he didn't get along with some of the guys. No wonder.

Everyone comes from all walks of life.. some are great technically but terrible with others... then there are those who don't excel at anything. Seems he didn't excel at all.

@7milesup
Nice job on the general refurbishment and especially he new fan.

I'm wondering "what manner or form" the wheel was worn? In other words, was it conical, eccentric, grooved, what?
I thought that those wheels should have a crown (not cylindrical). What is your thought.
Also, does the wheel take a tire or does the blade ride directly on the wheel?
Thank you!

According to the instruction manual and parts diagram that came with the saw, this wheel does not take a tire, although it is my understanding that some do.
The wheel appeared to have a conical shape where the blade runs. In other words, if you took too fast of a cut and ended up straining the blade, it would pop off of that wheel. There is a lip on that wheel that you can see in the picture, and there is a small groove right next to it, which allows for room for the swarf; otherwise, it would accumulate and possibly force the blade off. It was hard to check the angle of this wear. I ended up just touching my carbide insert cutter to the wheel next to that lip. Then, I moved the cutter toward the tailstock and determined that the face of the surface that the blade rides on was worn at an angle towards the centerline of the lathe. I forgot to take a picture of that operation. The picture that I posted shows my attempt to make that groove slightly deeper to allow for the metal I removed.

I hope that makes some sense.

Thank you!

According to the instruction manual and parts diagram that came with the saw, this wheel does not take a tire, although it is my understanding that some do.
The wheel appeared to have a conical shape where the blade runs. In other words, if you took too fast of a cut and ended up straining the blade, it would pop off of that wheel. There is a lip on that wheel that you can see in the picture, and there is a small groove right next to it, which allows for room for the swarf; otherwise, it would accumulate and possibly force the blade off. It was hard to check the angle of this wear. I ended up just touching my carbide insert cutter to the wheel next to that lip. Then, I moved the cutter toward the tailstock and determined that the face of the surface that the blade rides on was worn at an angle towards the centerline of the lathe. I forgot to take a picture of that operation. The picture that I posted shows my attempt to make that groove slightly deeper to allow for the metal I removed.

I hope that makes some sense.
conical meaning it is crowned? Crowning is used so the blade rides on top of the crown. Bands always seem to ride to the highest part of the wheel. So it keeps it centered.. also it prevents the teeth from riding on the wheel too.
Flat wheels don't track well generally. There are exceptions I'm sure.. but crowns are good.. flat bad.. :)

conical meaning it is crowned? Crowning is used so the blade rides on top of the crown. Bands always seem to ride to the highest part of the wheel. So it keeps it centered.. also it prevents the teeth from riding on the wheel too.
Flat wheels don't track well generally. There are exceptions I'm sure.. but crowns are good.. flat bad.. :)
Ok, then I am using the term incorrectly. Not conical. Sloped? Angled?
I think I need to draw a picture. Hang on while I hobble to my office (knee surgery yesterday).

Back