POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

I got this BS-0 clone dividing head last month and thought instead of putting it back in the cardboard box I would try making a wooden box form scrap wood.
where are you handles? That weighs a bit doesn't it?
make sure that paint is fully dry maybe a week b4 putting it in.

A hint, I use shellac to store most tools. It cures quickly, it SEALS the wood. Bin primer is a shellac based primer and also seals the wood. But I like shellac , it's super fast, and since I use alcohol to cut it, no water..

Did you glue it or just screw it?

where are you handles? That weighs a bit doesn't it?
make sure that paint is fully dry maybe a week b4 putting it in.

A hint, I use shellac to store most tools. It cures quickly, it SEALS the wood. Bin primer is a shellac based primer and also seals the wood. But I like shellac , it's super fast, and since I use alcohol to cut it, no water..

Did you glue it or just screw it?
I love some shellac with a coat of wax! If you have any Fluid Film spray the areas of the box where the bases sit, it will keep the bases from sticking.

Just screws , I put everything back in 5he oily plastic bags it came in . I was afraid the pint might stick. No handles , it’s not too heavy .

Just screws , I put everything back in 5he oily plastic bags it came in . I was afraid the pint might stick. No handles , it’s not too heavy .
can you take it apart and add some yellow glue it will help keep it a solid case, rescrew it back after gluing.
+2 on the fluid film in the BAGS..

Latex paint is water based, so again, if you can keep it out of there for a week or 2.. Even in the bags.. Just too much moisture.
Get some Desicant and put it in the box too. if you get the rechargeable can you just heat them to regenerate them.

Where are you located bc ouch!

Glad you're not burning cow pies!
Some where in the middle of Montana, about 130 miles east of Billings, we're having some below zeros, but glad to have the snow, as for cow pies, I don't think I could keep up, no where as energy dense as good old Montana Coal. I will be doing it again tomorrow, I heat two big places, my home and shop, I look at it as a good upper body workout. Oh yeah, project; My son bought this tool from some internet deal, it was supposed to be a 5/8 X 5/8 threading tool, you can see it's not and also it's 3/4. I spent the afternoon whittling it down to size, it's made from from some tough material but cut well with carbide, looked like a fireworks show if you took too much.IMG_0045.JPGIMG_0001 (3).JPG

I finally finished my big project. I started this back in August (when it was still warm). My brother in law (divorced with 5 kids) has a table that is 36" diameter, round, and very wobbly. (it was from the 80's.) He has his CDL, but works primarily as a crane operator. So, I tracked down someone with some old beams used to haul stuff on semi tractor trailers. The beams were 3.5" x 3.5", about 8'-9' long. Beams were re-sawn into boards, jointed, planed, and cut to widths. Splits were actually preferred - those and knots (and other divots and holes, because his girls wanted it to look like screws were in there) were all filled with copper metallic epoxy. I won't do an epoxy-resin "river table" because of wood vs. epoxy expansion rates, but I was willing to do this one.

20220104_122128.jpg

The result is something I seriously want to talk him out of and keep for myself.

My wife thought I was nuts (and my neighbor) when I set out using a straight edge and a square on the legs. Probably the first time I did "scraping" on wood - marking where the edge touched the legs and sanding down the marks until it was both square and parallel. Woodworkers who are machinists must be a special breed because they have to hit a point of "eh, close enough". The full build was chronicled at http://www.silverhawk.net/2022/01/i-should-table-that-project.html - but I'm definitely glad this one is done and I can move on.

Definitely not a craftsman here. I just get bored and that results in new things to learn. I love seeing people build things out here, and all of you just flabergast me with stuff you've done.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk

silverhawk, Nice table. Big woodworking projects need big space, don't they? Should be a nice sturdy table for a house full of kids!

So, in the shop here, aside from completely destroying my truck to get it fixed...
StoopidFord.jpg

...The old TIG welded a few peices of 3/16" steel to a 3/16" x 1" bar, which was cut into an oddball spanner for the new hubs for the import surface grinder. The pin size is 6.5mm, so welded a couple pieces from some grade 8, 1/4" (6.35mm) bolts into the spanner for pins. Should last longer than the grinder!

Then the little CNC mill drill cut the oddball M16x1.5mm Left Hand metric thread to make a nut for the same grinder. (Still not sure why I don't thread mill more often. Even if I had the tap, that milling cycle was only 45 seconds!)
Spanner.jpgThreadMill.jpg

I don't always mill threads, but when I do, I prefer Dos E... er... prefer to thread mill... lol

Back